1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Master of Divinity Degree

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I shampoo with "Slim Fast" every day to keep from getting a big head. :rolleyes:

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey there Mr Mike,

I did my undergrad work at LU and had a great time there for that purpose. I looked at their seminary and wasn't awfully impressed with either their dean or their school. It is still being developed and is young. I chose not to go there because the SBC offered far greater options at far more affordable prices than LU's seminary.

That said if you feel this is a good place to go and get your MDiv than go there. You will get a great education for a fair price and if your particular theological alignment is more with Dr. Falwell than the SBC I strongly recommend LU. Also check into Biblical Theological Seminary. I've heard good things.

Probably one of the best things about LU is it is accredited, something that can't be said for some other independent Baptist institutions. You will be blessed not only by the students and faculty at LU...but also by the heritage of faith found in the members of Thomas Road Baptist Church. I know I was. [​IMG]

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well if there is a particular theological disposition is learning the alphabet and parsing rules I'd like to hear it. Now I will agree with you that my Greek prof in the elementary and intermediate Greek classes (the same fine Christian scholar) was theological predisposed to something. That happens inevitably. One of the great things he did was to say this is my view, here are resources that help with that and here are some resources that show something different. There isn't much to be done in giving a particular brand of theological vodka in the early stages of learning Greek or Hebrew. A verb is a verb whether you're Catholic, Presbyterian, or Baptist. Now as you ascend into grammar and translation you need to keep your eyes and ears open to finding different views. That is why my exegesis prof (a different fine Christian scholar) required several different commentaries of varying theological positions for our exegesis class.

In that regard its just like learning anything. Get as much exposure to a varying strain of thoughts and then make up your mind based on work you've done. In reality you're not going to learn in a vacuum, you can't and its not helpful.

Certainly and as I sit here talking with you I have my laptop openned up and running with the language, multiple commentaries, and other resources so I can access a great variety of thought and tradition. We can be influenced by people but we can still make our own choices. That is why when we read such excellent books at Exegetical Fallacies or New Testament/Old Testament Exegesis they all point out to do your own translation work first then consult the commentaries and resources. Sitting at a desk with your GNT or BHS, a lexicon like Koehler & Baumgartner (OT) and BDAG (NT), and a simple grammar and our Holy Spirit influenced minds is the first and most vital step to formulating an accurate interpretation of God's Word.

We need the languages in our pulpits. We have far too many pastors who try to be communicators and not preachers. We suffer from a lack of doctrine and theology from our pulpits. We need pastor-theologians in our midst rightly dividing the Word and rightly working through the Word.

thanks for your reply!

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet,

Dr. Bob ... was much less wordy than I could have been ...

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PS: We NEED English in our pulpits
    ... unless you are preaching in God's language ...

SPANISH ;o)

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

IMHO

I do original languages and am trying to read through the OT in Hebrew - have done so in the GNT.

But, most of us Americans butcher English. Why do we feel the compulsion to butcher the original languages as well?

And why do we tell other pastors that they must use the original languages?

I can almost preach in Spanish (*). Few original language scholars ever get to that level in the orignal languages. At my level in Spanish, I still check with native speakers to correct my mistakes. We have NO native language speakers in Greek or Hebrew. There is no one to correct our bias. If we go to the original languages with bias, I doubt that we will listen to the Holy Spirit either. ...

(*) I can preach in Spanish if I prepare the sermon ahead of time. I probably can preach in Spanish extemporaneously, but choose not to take that risk with God's Word.