1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Meaning of John 15: Love or Doom for Believers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You can't base a whole theology of soul and spirit on one verse. So even if you want to think Heb 4.12 proves that soul and spirit are separate, there are passages that are evidence for the other view. BTW, I never said what I believed regarding this -- I was merely trying to show it's not that clear cut as you are asserting.

You keep ignoring the fact that using Peter is not a good analogy with a believer today indwelt by the HS, and the fact that narrative is not the basis of theology without other supporting scripture. This is just bad hermeneutics.

I have known unsaved people that have called Jesus Lord, including myself before I was saved. You make no distinction between uttering the words "Lord" and acknowledging Jesus as Lord in your heart - that is from the inner person. People can say all kinds of things they don't believe. It's what you acknowledge in the sense of believing that counts -- it's faith.

We're just going to have to disagree.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It's not you can go all the way back to Genesis chapter 1 and this is where you find the type of salvation. The Holy Spirit moves, God speaks (the Word of God) and light comes into existence.

That's exactly what happens when a person experiences eternal salvation. So what happens next? God separates the light from the darkness. God separates the spirit (which is now in the Light) from the soul which remains in darkness.

When you compare Scripture with Scripture it all makes sense.

No there aren't, because then the Bible would contradict itself, unless you are refering to Scripture prior to eternal salvation. That would be the only way it is possible, which really makes it a moot point.

You make a great point that totally distroys your case. In the Lord, Lord passage these people honestly believed in what they were talking about. The Greek structure of the passage is one that they expected Jesus to affirm what they were doing. They totally believed. It came as a great shock to them that they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing.

We get no picture that they were trying to be deceptive, no picture they were lying. These were people that honestly expected the Lord to respond in a postive way.

And there are going to be a great number of Christians that stand before their Righteous and Just Judge one day and totally believe in what they did on earth and expect Him to affirm them and they will hear the same thing these people heard. It is going to be a terrible, terrible day for some.

That's why God is going to wipe away the tears before eternity begins, because there is going to be great saddness among a great number of unfaithful Christians in that day.

I hope none of us are found in that state!