1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Medici - PBS special

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JustAsIAm, Feb 21, 2004.

1. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

I don't know if anyone else has seen this. I just finished watching a PBS special on the Medici family, Italian nobility from the Renissance period.

There was an interesting bit on how much Galileo had influenced memebers of the family, and then they go into the effects of the Roman Inquisition on Galileo.

Probably nothing new here, but the picture this secular PBS special paints of the rcc is far from complimentary. I thought that in itself was interesting.

2. Stephen III

Stephen III New Member

I thought it was a bit over the top in their portrayals. Everytime the church was being discussed they would play really diabolical gothic sounding music and show monks with their faces half shadowed, it was like a Chick tract cartoon being acted out.

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

I saw part of it and it is on again today in my area, so I will watch the rest.

So far it is very interesting how the Medici manipulated the people to have things the way they wanted it.

When I see the rest, I may comment further.

working for Jesus,

Tam

4. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Stephen III,

Got to agree with you about the music and such. Those big red hats with the guys leering out from under them were creepy too! I don't know much about the inquisition, but with all the extra drama attached I'd say they were looking to sensationalize!

5. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Usually I can live without PBS, but I'm sort of sorry I missed the "diabolical gothic sounding music."

Mark

6. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

It is as it was...