1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mennonite's

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am looking into a group called the Mennonites, and trying to find out if a group exists in Australia. If anyone can put me onto a link that would help please let me know.

Are the Mennonite's Baptists?

Am I correct with the Assumption that they are similar to the Amish?

2. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ben, I knew some Mennonite moms when we lived in Cleveland, Georgia. They were a wonderful group of women. Their children were in the Christian preschool play group Nick was in. The moms would arrive early to pick up their kids (before lunch) and we'd sit on the picnic tables and share, laugh and fellowship. The Mennonite ladies were some of the most friendly and loving women I've ever met! They dressed in the typical dresses and caps, dark socks and shoes and I'd be sitting there in my jeans or shorts and NEVER did they act like the rest of us were not godly or as loved as they! One of the ladies had the funniest sense of humor. She'd tell stories that would make me laugh so hard my sides would ache.

Good luck on your search. May GOD guide you in all that you do!

Diane

4. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ben,

The Mennonites in general are wonderful, hard-working people - an asset to any community. There are, however, some glaring doctrinal differences between them and us Baptists. The most pronounced of these is their belief that you can lose your salvation.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take the position that at least polity-wise they are our second cousins.

6. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

I've done some research on the Mennonite denomination. I posted elsewhere on the board about this. The more modern day Mennonites look no different than most other Christians. The old order Mennonites are the ones who dress in those old-timey looking clothes and shun modern day conveniences. If you look at this web site, you would be suprised to see what some Mennonites look like and live like nowadays (at least in more urban areas of our country).

http://www.mennonites.org/

7. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Half my family is Mennonite. Their beliefs are essencially the same as Baptists, nothing to loose sleep over for the most part. Like baptists different Mennonites have different views on things.

Bryan
    SDG

8. Tim

Tim New Member

BenW,

I attended a Mennonite church for 5 years while living in Indiana. I found the Mennonite umbrella to be very diverse in doctrine, from ultra-leftist liberals to ultra-rightist legalists (Hmm, sounds familiar). Most today dress in modern clothing, though the plain clothes group is still pretty large (some of them are refugees from the Amish).

Best thing about the Mennonites--they really love each other in a biblical way--like no other church I've ever seen.

Worst thing about the Mennonites--too many of them are related, so they hesitate to separate from their apostate cousins.

Consistently different doctrines--Pacifism and the belief that one can lose his salvation.

In Christ,

Tim

9. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Their belief in Pacisifm is changing. The newer generation is not holding to it as much as those before them.

Bryan
    SDG

10. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Mennonites, like all denominations, have their modernists and traditionalists. But traditional Mennonite doctrine differs from the Baptists primarily in:

1. The doctrine of salvation. Mennonites believe in salvation by obedience. They believe a believer can totally apostacize and some of them believe that if you sin "willfully" it is not possible to be forgiven. They border on sinless perfectionism.

2. The doctrine of Baptism. While they believe in baptism of believers, most Mennonites do not baptize by total immersion but by pouring water over the head.

3. Pacifism

Mark Osgatharp

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thankyou for all f your responses, I am really keen to go and visit one of these churches if it is possible. Thankyou for the links posted above.

I am not so sure that I would think that all Baptists oppose Pacifism. We are 143 Denominations strong, and prior to WW1 a number of religious groupd encouraged Pacifism.

Think of what might have happened if all the Lutherans in Germany refused to take up arms against Anglicans in England. For governments to cause Christians to kill each other is a terrible thing.