1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Mental Illness/Sin Threads

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Watch the video

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes there is a cure if you believe the bible read 1Cor 6, and such were some of you.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The cure is always the same, confess and forsake.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Baloney. I was an alcoholic. I was thoroughly addicted to alcohol. I wouldn't go a single day without it and most days drank myself till I passed out.

I was saved by God and asked God to take it from me. He did. End of story. I'm not an alcoholic anymore.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All behavior problems stem from indwelling sin. For instance little children who have never been tight to lie will all lie at some point. They are selfish naturally, and in fact we are all born with a Narcissistic personality. The cure is training them up in the way they should go.

However for those parents who do not train their child properly then at some point the sin grows into greater sins. By the time the child is able to understand right from wrong their sin is not only willful but pure rebellion and the only cure is confession and forsaking it in Christ. The problem arises when that person grows into adulthood with the sin instead of coming to the Lord at a young age to deal with their sins. If they do finally come the battle begins and it can be a difficult issue, but the cure is always the same, confession and forsaking.
    The problem is that many have been lied to about their condition with the false claim of it being from mental illness instead of just an evil heart. Then there are some who want free from the consequences of their actions but not free of the sin itself so drugs are turned to. All bad behavior is due to indwelling sin and no drug can fix that as it is a spiritual issue that can only be dealt with by confession and forsaking.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Some do have it happen that way just as my daughter was miraculously healed last year. Others don't and continue to struggle with that addiction for the rest of their lives even if they never have another drink. They still have the desire for it. Just as my daughter was healed and my friend's son was not just two months later, some will find immediate delivery from addiction and others will have that flesh continue to desire it for the rest of their lives and it's something that they just have to live with. God never promises to take all temptations out of our way - but He will provide a way out.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no question that long term sin makes it more difficult to let go of the sin. However at the same point for the believer we know this;
    1Cor 10:13
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Also we know this;
    1Cor 6
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The focus is on the this passage;
    And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

It is true that salvation does not bring an instant end to sin in the person's life, but it does bring an instant end to sinning as a practice no matter what the previous sins were. We know that because of 1John 3;
    Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's [fn] seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

There just is no exceptions because if there was then we would all be an exception. As to your uncle I cannot tell you when he got saved, but I can tell you that when he did he no longer practiced drunkenness. He may have slipped from time to time on a particular ocasion, but it was no longer a practice because any practice of sinning proves the person is not saved according to the bible.

#107 freeatlast, May 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  8. matt wade

God will take away any addiction that a person repents of and has faith that God will take it away.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no promise of physically healing but there is for healing of sin. Ann you keep denying scripture for what the world teaches. Such WERE some of you, not such ARE some of you. The problem with so many is they are calling people saved who prove they are not by their actions and to combat scripture they say they are mentally ill and put them on drugs. Scripture never fails, as no saved person continues to practice sin and what is left just needs to be confessed and forsaken.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't seen that to be true. Sometimes God heals and sometimes, for His own reasons, He chooses not to. That includes addiction.

11. matt wade

That may be true for some physical situation, but addiction is nothing more than sin. God will deliver you from it.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will disagree with you on this. What sin has the infant had that is addicted to heroin because his mother used? Additionally, there is solid research that that shows changes in the brain with addiction. You can read more here:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/drugs/brainimage.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851068/

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/18533

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

2 CORINTHIANS 2:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

11 I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

Paul ask the Lord to remove his thorn in the flesh and God told him no. So God might not remove every addiction but make it where one must depend on Him. God will:

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Make a way of escaping the temptation and He just might do that through the medication He has given man the knowledge to use to make that medication. God's grace provision could be by using man's knowledge and creating ability to make the drug that helps one escape the temptation.

14. matt wade

The infant has some physical dependencies on the drug because of his mother's sin. Those physical dependencies can be dealt with. That doesn't make the infant an addict. The sin of wanting and using a drug makes one an addict.

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I know men who are reformed acholics just like you and they will say that one drink will drive them back to the juice. I have known a pastor who was an acoholic and he made the same statement one drink and right back to the acohol.

Can God take it away yes if He desires to, can He allow the cravings yes He can just as He allowed Pauls thorn in the flesh to remain.

16. matt wade

If they took just one drink they would be sinning again. What's your point?

17. matt wade

Paul's thorn wasn't an addiction.

18. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Amen!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Amen!

Some just do not believe Paul was truthful when he said, "and such were some of you."

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that God performed a wonderful service to remove any desire; however, not one person has the same experience when it comes to personal testimony.

The same is will all manner of the healing work.

Christ definitely brings healing for the enemy seeks only to destroy. There is certain scars and lasting desires in which some are beset - this is according to the purpose of God. Paul refers more than once that the believers are to guard and build that they not be overtaken, and, if one is overtaken, the spiritual are to aid in restoration.

To what extent and as to the time frame, no desire for former addiction occurs in the life of a believer, is up to God's purpose. Some pray often and fervently, yet are reminded as Paul, "My Grace is sufficient..." The why may merely be the opportunity to boast being removed, or the impressing of the believer being actively involved in making no provision for the flesh.

Paul said we are to put on the whole armor, and that the Sword of the Word was what quenched the fiery darts. If there were no fiery darts there would be no need for the Word to be held between them self and the enemy.

There are those who daily wake, take up the armor and the sword, and continue in the Spirit contending for the faith; knowing that, although they do certainly love the Lord with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength, they bravely hold forth the Word to bring honor to Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.