1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Message--ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by InTheLight, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting. J.I.Packer was the general editor of the ESV. I admire him a great deal (except for his involvement with the E&CT document). He had good things to say about the NLT ""I think the New Living [Translation] is --it is brilliantly done..."

I idn't really know much about the TNIV just figured it's worse than the 84 edition. Yet the NLT uses more inclusive language than the TNIV. It is hard to fathom the inconsistency of these guys. Even Ryken and son had a book on Bible basics and used the NLT as the primary text.

Packer is known to put out book blurbs by the thousands over the years. Here is what he said about The Message:

"Eugene Peterson's blend of accurate scholarship and vivid idiom makes this rendering both distinctive and distinguished. The Message catches the logical flow,personal energy,and imaginative overtones of the original very well indeed."

Yet the TNIV and NIV 2011 are not up to his high standards....Huh?

2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is a great post, and a sign of your spiritual maturity. For all you know, she is a new Believer, and admonishing her for the Version of God's Word she is using could be a potential stumbling block for her and sin for you. As one of my spiritual mentors once told me: we must be careful not to confuse our preferences with Doctrine, especially when you run the risk of hurting someone or causing them to stumble on their walk.

You're a good egg! :thumbs:

As you have noted, as long as it doesn't stray from the "Message," I would do precisely what you have written above. I would say that the question you would have to ask yourself is what you hope to accomplish by opening that door vs. what the potential fallout could be. Of course, prayer about it is the best course of action. Another option might be to pick up an inexpensive copy of a good Translation (usually can find them by the register at your local Lifeway) and have your spouse (provided you are not the same gender) or have the class teacher offer it to her (saying something like "Here's a great Bible for reference material for our study."). Our Lifeway study is using the HCSB, and the small ones are relatively inexpensive.

Personally, I don't like The Message (in many ways for the same reasons I am not a huge fan of Max Lucado), but it's a function of personal preference - not due to a Doctrinal issue.

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    BiR

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Hardly seems like its bothering anyone but you, or am I wrong?

I welcome interaction, best chance to lovingly correct if need be

4. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

I don't care much for the Message. In one passage, it has
    Jesus saying, "Stop turning my Father's house into a shopping mall!" Whaaaaaaaaaaat???

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Perverse, rebellious" is actually a quite literal rendering of the Hebrew "avah marduwth". Several versions added "woman", which is not in the Hebrew, but is implied at the end of the verse. (1 Sam. 20:30) "Avah" actually refers to wickedness or iniquity in general, not just to sexual sins. (I obtained this info from a rabbi who knows Hebrew.)

Thus, it was NOT necessary for Taylor to have placed scatology in GOD'S WORD!

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's wrong with that? The shopping mall is the modern marketplace.

With some mega-churches taking on the ambiance of shopping malls (with coffee shops, food courts, and book stores), I think it is appropriate.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. What Saul said is much worse than SOB for that culture. The Living Bible actually toned it down.

The real problem is Saul. He said those things. The biblical authors simply recorded it.

I think you are using the wrong word here. "Scatology" is the study of feces.

Taylor didn't "place" anything in God's word. He simply put it in more contemporary language.

The Bible has all kinds of passages in it that are not "family friendly." Have you ever taken a look at Ezekiel 23:19-21?

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what it's worth, Paul used a vivid scatological reference in Philippians 3:8, although just about every translation tones it down.

So there's no room for complaint even IF Taylor had made a scatological reference.