1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Message???

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

At the risk of really being ignorant. . . what is the deal on "The Message?" I have seen posts mentioning that it is a poor translation, that it leaves things out, etc.

Can somebody provide me with the REAL story behind The message and some background information regarding their source manuscripts, etc?

I have essentially ignored it since it just appeared to be another translation sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart in regular hardback format with a paper cover.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than bore you with MY explanation, lemme refer ya to this URL:

http://www.crossroad.to/Bible_studies/Message.html

Now, while I don't agree with EVERYTHING on this site, it's good for comparing some of "The Message"'s text with that of more orthodox translations. I believe "The Message" isn't really a translation, but a human paraphrase job.

I was given a copy a few years ago, and it didn't take me long to realize why it was given away!

Contrary to some KJVOs' beliefs, I do NOT automatically accept every fresh work calling itself a Bible as valid.

3. sdnesmith

sdnesmith New Member

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thanks to both of you. I had a feeling that it was not very highly rated on the accuracy list.

Yep, Robycop they would like to make everyone think that we like everything called a Bible--not so. Just another one of their mis-directions.

We have to be evil or we don't fit into their world. I think that it interesting that most have a "greater-than-thou" impression of this world and of other Christians. A sad situation, indeed.

5. sdnesmith

sdnesmith New Member

Pride is a very destructive force. It blinds you to anything else but your own view of the world. Most of them get extremely offended when called "Pharisees," too, but the similarities are unmistakeable. I was truly grieved when God put a spiritual mirror in front of me and I finally realized what I had become. God used the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector to reveal to me my pride and self righteousness.

The issue of separation is another area of difficulty I have with those types. As I said in another post, they misunderstand the call to separate from people who deny the fundamentals of the faith to include even the rest of us who choose to worship in a different way or read a different version of the Bible.

I truly feel called by the Lord to reach out to those sincere Christians who are blinded by pride, but unfortunately, the reaction I see most is similar to the reaction that Jesus received from the Pharisees. They feared "touching the unclean thing" because it would make them unclean, but yet Jesus spent most of His time with the "unclean." I am truly offended that a brother or sister in Christ would consider me "unclean" and not worthy of fellowship because I do not subscribe to their view.

As you said, Phillip, a sad situation, indeed.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you're referring to a message addressed to you in the "Questions from a KJV-Onlyist" thread, right? Well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The person who sent it has yet to prove the first thing she asserts.

7. sdnesmith

sdnesmith New Member

I just left her a reply to a message she directed at me over there. It's so sad that these types are unable to see the forest for the trees. God allowed me the witness the inconsistencies in the lives of my former Pastor and other members of the church in order to break free of the chains.

I know for me, I felt as if I was a spiritual adolescent that was unable to mature spiritually because of pride, bitterness, and envy. I saw the same behavior in others in that church that were trying to better each other and gain approval of the Pastor. Just like a teenager I thought myself to be grown up eating from the meat of the word, but all the while I was really still a child drinking milk. The sermons all basically dealt with the same thing like tithing, separation from the world, having standards. Never any messages about love and compassion. Those types call anyone who professes the love of God to be a liberal, but if God didn't love us, would any of us be here right now?

Shawn

8. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

[Material unrelated to topic; snipped]

[ April 21, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

9. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Now Malky,

Let's not have a pity party. There's plenty of sarcasm here but not much venom. By my way of looking at things you and some of the Berean crowd here may know scripture verbatim but don't have a good handle on interpretation. Yet you still try to come across in an authoritative manner! This sets you up!

I told Sharpstick - oops I mean Sharpsword - that she sounded like a Pharisee; not because I wanted to "attack" her - because I thoguht it was true. And I said it with a smile and not a frown! ;)

You say you want debate - but you've got rather thin skin it seems. If you choose not to post anymore that's your choice.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Awwww come on guys. Somebody posts something juicy and gets a big response and then it gets edited, but left on the page so we can all look at it. Like reading a book with the last ten pages ripped out.....just giggin' ya! [​IMG]

I'll quietly leave the thread now. ;)

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yep, kind of slipped a few cogs on the ole gears. I must have had the other thread on my mind.