1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Messianic Qualities of Abe Lincoln

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Dr. Bob, May 28, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    www.vdare.org/awall/gutierrez.htm

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not quite. Chicanos are American citizens of hispanic descent. Hispanic immigrants are not Chicanos. They may be Latinos, but they're not Chicanos. Chicanos and Tejanos are very proud of their regional American heritage, and rightly so.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I never said to forget history. I said that we need to let it go. There are still plenty of folks who think Japanese interment was justified, or think that people of German decent are despicable. They need to let it go, just as much as the victimized. We could mull over the hypocracies of the North, followed by a list of hypocracies of the South. That will accomplish nothing, other than cast judgement on people for actions of 150 years ago. OTOH, there are plenty of Southerners and Yankees who think their side did nothing wrong at all. We "westerners" have a slightly more objective view, being neither Yanks nor Belles. [​IMG]

Is it right to say that Lincoln was a great man? Sure. He was. But he wasn't perfect, and no matter how you slice it, he was a politician. To quote Obi Wan Kenobi, politicians are not to be trusted. I could, and do, say the same thing about Jeff Davis. He was a great man, but he was no more or less perfect than Lincoln. I gratly admire Stonewall Jackson, and I also greatly admire Ulysses Grant. I also admire Jefferson, Washongton, and Franklin, though they were far from perfect, and often immoral men. Reagan and Carter were great men, too.

Perhaps some people confuse the term "great" with "perfect". If that were the case, we'd have no great men in American History. I don't think these men should be deified, but I do think their accomplishments should be recognized. Also, I think objective critism of these men can and should be discussed, and that those just criticisms do not necesserily detract from their greatness.

4. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Member
    Site Supporter

You're an idiot.

-Michael

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I disagree that Ford was a boring President. In one single act, he popularized the jetway. Plus, he's only one of two Presidents to have automobiles named after them.

I'm waiting for the latest "Holy Observer" or "The onion" story to break: Disney Theme Parks to replace "Great Moments with Mister Lincoln" with "Great Moments with Mister Ford". After stumbling down a set of stairs to the podium, the anamatronic POTUS proceeds to pardon the viewing audience. [​IMG]

6. delly

delly New Member

Johnv, I think that's funny about Ford having automobiles named after him. lol I think Henry would take exception to that. After all, Gerald wasn't even a real Ford since he was born Leslie Lynch King Jr. After his parents divorced his mother married Gerald R. Ford and they started calling her son Gerald. His name was officially changed to Gerald R. Ford Jr. Dec. 3, 1935.

Daniel, you are either very good at roll playing or you are miserably filled with hatred toward Southern people for some unknown reason. You deffinately think of yourself and all Northerners as superior beings. It must be a heavy load to bear juggling Christian princlples with all that hatred you keep spewing out.
    Pride of your region is one thing. Hatred of people in other regions is another thing altogether. I understand your pride in the North. Give us Southern people that same right. The North may have won the fight but we are winning the war because the South has risen very well from the ashes and we are now very well off economically. We have no reason for shame about anything. After all, I would have been born in a cotton patch if it hadn't rained the morning of my birth. No silver spoons in my family. I was also taught to treat everyone (whatever their color, nationality or religious affiliation) as an equal and I have strived to do that. My best friend in this world is black and one of the finest people I have ever know.
    We will never understand all the reasons for the war, who was right or wrong. I propose there was enough wrong and enough stupidity to go around on both sides.
    The South never wanted to fight anyone. They wanted to be left alone to govern themselves. It may have been a bit presumptious to think they would be allow to do that, but who of us can say it wouldn't have worked out.
    You know, civility goes a long way toward influencing people toward your way of thinking.
    You, sir, come across to us as just a hot head full of hatred for people you know nothing about.
    May God bless you every day.

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"you are miserably filled with hatred toward Southern people for some unknown reason."
    ''
    My personal theory is that the KKK mistakenly* burned a cross in DD's front lawn one night destroying his tulip patch.
    That sort of traumatic experience will colour your perception of the South considerably.

*They probably thought he was a Jewish Irish Catholic or sometyhing like that.

What?