1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Miami Felons strike again...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by rbell, Oct 15, 2006.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry. Totally disagree. Having seen the footage (more than just the clips from ESPN) and discussing from people who were actually at the game, this is what I've learned.
    1. FIU had several personal fouls called against them in the first half for late/cheap hits.
    2. UM had none.
    3. FIU had several other late/cheap hits that were not called.
    4. The refs never told FIU to "tone it down" or even gave them a warning.
    5. The referees lost control of the game.
    6. Two players from FIU initiated the fight - jumping on, slamming to the ground, punching and kicking the placekicker and holder after the PAT.
    7. The initial response from UM was from the players on the field. Personally, I have no problem with protecting your own players (especially the kicker and his holder).
    8. Then the sidelines emptied - and the mess began.
    9. Many players from both sides went on the field, but did not fight, and many went out there to separate the players.
    10. FIU kicked the two players that started the mess off the team. They are still providing them with their scholarships though.
    11. FIU had more players ejected from the game by the referees.
    12. Not surprisingly, FIU had more players suspended by the univeristies/conferences - roughly the same ratio as the ejections.
    13. Thus, it appears that the suspensions have more to do with the players' actions than the universities being easy/tough (unless you think that the refs were giving UM a pass on the ejections).
    14. Both teams included undiclosed community service requirements for their players.
    15. All of the suspensions came down from the respective conferences in conjunction with the universities.
    16. UM suspended the one player who swung his helmet indefinitely (we don't know what this means). [Personally, I think they should remind all players to keep your helmets on.] The rest were given a one game suspension.
    17. FIU suspended all of their players indefinitely. Again, we don't know what this means.
    Personally, I give Dr. Shalala a lot of credit. She easily could have thrown all the players (or even a few) under the bus and been a "hero" to the media. Instead, she did what she thought was right. You may disagree with her and think she or Coach Coker should do more than what the ACC said. Maybe kick the placekicker and the holder off the team for being jumped on?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

The more I've seen, the more I agree with FIU's penalties. Those cretins should have been tossed. My problem is this:

1. Shalala didn't even watch the video to make sure her impressions were accurate. That's not leadership. That's refusal to consider all the facts, IMO.
    2. No doubt that FIU started this mess. No doubt they should bear more of the brunt of punishment. But you mean to tell me that this Merriweather kid that stomped on folks' knees only gets one game? That's ridiculous, IMO.
    3. It's not that I think Miami is more responsible. It's that I think FIU was more proactive and more decisive in the meting out of punishment. I simply think Don Strock handled the situation slightly better than Coker, and much, much better than Shalala.

FoS, I must admit an anti-miami bias. After 20 years of seeing trash-talking, camo-wearing, run-ins with the law, tenures of Erickson, Johnson, Davis, Schnellenberger, vile rap lyrics, knee-stomping, logo-stomping, brawling...I just think it has the highest thugs per capita in college football.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Quick Response

Thanks -- here's a quick reply.

1. I too think it's a little strange that Dr. Shalala did not watch the video. However, Dr. Shalala is never one to take the easy way out and has been extremely vigilent on a lot of fronts.

Personally, I was not a big fan of her when she was in the Clinton administration, but have been very impressed since she came to UM. She has done a lot for UM (small & private), especially with its cancer center, transplant hospital, oceanography institute, and law school.

2. I really don't think the media has done a good job of explaining what happened and why. Had I not spoken to those who were actualy there (including my son), I would have a different view of things. Without sounding childish, it is clear that FIU started the mess from the beginning of the game.

Regarding Meriweather, I agree. I think he's the only other UM player that should have received more than a one game suspension.

Regarding the kid that swung his helmet, I know we all have perceptions about players (thugs, etc.). This kid is a freshman, not from Miami, that attended a private, Catholic high school. From what I've heard, he was a model kid in high school. (Plus, it's just not smart to take your helmet off.)

3. Regarding the disciplinary action, the only difference seems to be that FIU suspended all players indefinitely instead of one game. It will be interesting to see how long they will actually be out. They are playing Alabama this week, so it really doesn't matter anyway. Plus, Strock has not won a game this year and is on his way out. Obviously, the spotlight is on UM more because they are UM. But truth be told, it's very similar. Also interestingly enough, the new AD at FIU is from UM.

Lastly, I know everyone hates UM due to reasons above (plus winning 5 championships in 20 years didn't endear them to everyone). But Davis & Coker have worked hard to reverse the Erickson mess.

Personally, I think there are enough "thugs" in college football to go around. Anyone seen OSU standout Maurice Claret lately?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

you've explained your case well FOS. Isn't it funny how it seems the good guy coaches (we've mentioned Coker and Strock) don't seem to make it?

I had put you on the "apostate" list for supporting UM. Your well-worded defense has moved you up to "somewhat religious." Once we get you into a good, bible-believing SEC school, I have high hopes for you...:laugh: :thumbs:

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Too funny

Sorry, I'm an ACC guy, but big enough to admit that SEC does have better football. Now basketball...

The funny thing is, more and longer suspensions against UM would actually help me out. I'm a Georgia Tech alum and we play UM after the Duke game.