1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Military Draft

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jul 31, 2019.

?

Should the Draft be restarted?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2020.
  1. I am a VET/Active military and YES lets restart the Draft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am a VET/Active military and NO do not start the Draft

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I am a VET/Active military and only use the draft for WW III

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I have never been military and only use the draft for WW III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have never been military only and NO do not start the draft

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I have never been military only and YES lets restart the draft

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be highly unusual. Did he have some special skill or something?

Depends. Not every war we fight is our responsibility.

The draft for Korea and Vietnam was unjust and immoral. If that happened today, I would absolutely be against it.

Unfortunately, I was so young and stupid and knew so little about the world, I was convinced that anybody who didn't want to go to Vietnam was an anti-American coward.

I know that if my sons were drafted for a Vietnam-like clusterpluck, I'd be sneaking them into Canada.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know a lot of people who found a career in the military because of the draft. And I know a lot of guys who say they were lost, or that they were headed for a life in prison, but got straightened out when they were drafted.

But the fact remains, in many cases, the draft is wrong.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's true. Most people think of Pennsylvania or New England, but South Carolina played a crucial role in the Revolution.

I have a cousin who lives in South Carolina and some scenes from "The Patriot" were shot on a farm adjacent to hers.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought of New England as well.

I've been wanting to go to Cypress Gardens SC (Moncks Corner). Parts of The Patriot and North and South were filmed there.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical of those northern yankees who as short sighted buffalo can only destroy, where good southern gentlemen keen eyed and cunningly wise can hide away to put to better use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13th Amendment:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The draft really is a bad move.

It removes the voice of the people from opposing that which they consider is a violation.

Briton would capture a vessel on the seas and force conscription.
    "He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands." (Declaration of Independence, 1776)​

It is not right to declare that certain specific rights cannot be taken away - "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" - and then without the approval of those who have such rights to remove those same rights without their consent.

The draft is just not right at any level.

Especially that involving athletic figures. It was just another way of controlling people's lives.

Rather, believers don't use the word draft. We use the word election.

It is so much more politically correct. Everyone one wants to be elected.

So, congress would be wise in changing the name from draft to election. :)

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he was a hydro power plant worker, and served in the Army as an infantry solider. He was drafted while living in Canon City Colorado. As far as I know, his draft was not "unusual."

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But who determines it is unjust and immoral?

But Canada does not want them either

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that I cannot be forced to sit on a jury?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same question Salty, why is government mandated compulsatory service not unconstitutional.

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everybody does, because those are the stories we're told. But just like most people are shocked to learn that there are Founders and Framers besides Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, most people have never heard of Camden or Cowpens.

She lives near there. She lives in an unincorporated area between St. Georges and Monck's Corner. They filmed some scenes (mostly what they call "second unit" or "establishing shots") near her house.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Me.

No, seriously, if you're compelling someone to go and fight for your country, that's one thing. If you're compelling someone to go and fight for somebody else's country, that's another and it's wrong.

Neither Korea nor Vietnam were our fight.

To hear Jesse Winchester tell it, Canada was very accepting of draft dodgers.

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A married man with five children?

That would normally be a 3-A draft status or lower.

#34 Hollow Man, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the answer:
    arguing that [the draft] was a direct violation of the Thirteenth Amendment's prohibition against slavery and involuntary servitude. However, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld the constitutionality of the draft act in the case of Arver v. United States on 7 January 1918. The decision said the Constitution gave Congress the power to declare war and to raise and support armies. The Court emphasized the principle of the reciprocal rights and duties of citizens:
    "It may not be doubted that the very conception of a just government in its duty to the citizen includes the reciprocal obligation of the citizen to render military service in case of need and the right to compel."​
    So once again we see that the constitution means what the Supreme Court says even if it is a nullification. Today we maintain and sustain our military with volunteers, so the right to declare and raise does not actually rest on conscription.

What good is freedom of speech if the government can assert the "reciprocal right" to ban speech?
    Or the right to life if the government can assert the "reciprocal right" to take your life?

#35 Van, Aug 1, 2019
  16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think the men who ratified The Constitution intended Conscription to be illegal? The founders heavily conscripted men into the Colonial army.

#36 Reynolds, Aug 1, 2019
  17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you how to get out of jury duty.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wear a MAGA hat? :Laugh

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably would work.

Civil: ”I believe matters are to be handled in the Church. I can not vote to find any liability or award any damages"

Criminal "I do not support a two tiered justice system. Until Hillary Clinton is indicted, I will not vote to find anybody guilty of anything."

• Like Like x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The founders were great men but they had blind spots. With the advent of public education, which enabled people regardless of sex or color or national origin to exercise their voice in the conduct of government, our republic flourished. LBJ lied and people died. Read "The Fog of War" where it was known the situation was untenable (in 1965) but our leaders lacked the courage to say "oops." Folks, did the draft enable the subsequent slaughter of tens of thousands?

What good is freedom of speech if the government can assert the "reciprocal right" to ban speech?
    Or the right to life if the government can assert the "reciprocal right" to take your life?