1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The misleading arguments against Free-Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revmitchell, can you explain how you view the doctrine of "calling" or "drawing", if you see them as the same, and how Holy Spirit is involved? Or, do you see the gospel alone as God's method of "calling" or "drawing"?

Peace to you

2. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you just want to express your opinion and anything or anyone who expresses a different view is not tolerated. At least now I know how you think a debate works.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet another misrepresentation of others view and words. Seeing a pattern here.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not place his gift of salvation "hopefully in a well-trafficked area" where people might hope to find it. Nor does God place his gift of salvation in a "certain area" (a static place) where people can look it over like merchandise.

Instead, God has commanded his followers to go out and tell the WHOLE WORLD about his gift of salvation. The gift of salvation and everything we need to know about it can be found in a written account, the Bible. Moreover, God has seen to it that the Bible is readily available to just about anybody, or that the Bible is easily given to anybody. It's not placed somewhere waiting to be discovered.

So your two metaphors of how free-willers and semi-pelagians view the gift of salvation is flawed. (And once again reeks of mind reading and assuming someone believes a certain way.)

Finally, your monergist metaphor is wrong because in this illustration the gift recipient is completely inert--they don't participate in receiving the gift at all, There is no provision for the possibility that the intended recipient will reject the gift.

You claim that God custom crafted the gift of salvation for individuals from before the foundation of the world. Once again, I will ask you why does Paul say that he received this gift before other believers? (Romans 16:7) Why does the Bible say that, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe (1 Cor 1:21) if they were saved before preachers even existed?

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In all fairness Rev, the sound Calvinists on the board are not the ones doing this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are all doing it

7. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant

8. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is not available to millions and millions of people. They are unreached. They don't know who Jesus is. They will die in their sins without ever hearing about Jesus.
    Second, many people who are mentally handicapped will never comprehend the good news. They will not know of this gift.
    Has God failed them all by relying on humans who haven't got the message into every place possible?
    No mind reading necessary. The choice to open the gift to which they are drawn, by God, is still left up to the person. Open it. Use it if you wish. Throw it away if you wish.

Indeed, there is no possibility that the person will reject the gift. Every child, when given a gift with their name on it from their Father, will rip into that present as soon as they receive it from their Father. They won't question it and reject it. How much more does God the Father know how to give good gifts?
    In Romans, Paul is merely looking at his lifetime and seeing that these men had received their gifts earlier than he had.

Romans 16:7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

Read the whole passage and see what God says. Notice God's will destroys the perishing and God's will saves those who believe. It is the power of God that saves.i

1 Corinthians 1:18-21 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Will is a work of the flesh. Law depends on it. People are judged by how they use it. But the gospel is not law. You must transpose the gospel into law (a false gospel) and turn grace into works before free will can become a means of salvation.

This means salvation is not a supernatural work of God. But a legalistic work of the flesh. And the flesh cannot discern spiritual truth. So it only chooses a Christ that is acceptable to the sinful flesh. And finds the biblical Christ repugnant to the senses.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok you have said nothing here, you made a lot of the same old claims but have not dealt with the op.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It deals with the original post disproving the "straw man" claim. How so? Because it acknowledges free will as the basis for responsibility in every day life. But it also shows free will cannot understand spiritual truth. So it only acts on what it perceives to be truth.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the problem with this whole post. This paragraph is filled with untruth. Election IS individualistic. It is not God looking down a corridor to see who would choose Him because we know from Romans that NOBODY would choose Him. God determined that decision by basis of his own good pleasure. Romans 9.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misses the point of this thread

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh when you can deal with the op let me know

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it not dealt with on the "straw man" charge? Law depends on free will. The gospel is not Law but grace.

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is the point?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend, you created another strawman in your last post. I never argued that God looks down the corridor of time. I posted my position not to debate those doctrines but to show what I hold to which is different, in some areas, to what I am often told I hold to.

This thread is about the habit of creating caricatures of the position of those with whom we disagree with which in the end misrepresents their position. Particular's original post in this thread is a prime example. What needs to happen is that we need to take the position of our opponents exactly as they say it and argue from that position. We need to avoid saying "If you believe this then this other thing must be true and it is wrong because......"

This thread is about how we deal with each others positions not the doctrines specifically themselves.

To be fair it is done on both sides but I would say that it comes from the reformed side far more often. This thread is about "The misleading arguments against free will" We are dealing with the "misleading" i.e. incorrect caricatures or characterizations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the drawing is done by the gospel. The gospel is not divorced from the Holy Spirit. See my op.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you think that. It is clear none of you understand the Reformed position. At least not in what you post.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe there is some truth to that but that is not what this thread is about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.