1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The misleading arguments against Free-Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Don't lie. You've never done a full explanation of your belief about Romans 9. From everything, I've read from you, there is nothing that disagrees with the cartoon. Maybe that is why you hate it so much?

Romans 9 is the passage you use repeatedly to say

1. God determines ahead of time who will and will not be saved.

2. God builds up some people just to destroy them.

3. There is nothing one can do to be saved. God either has or hasn't decided to save you.

And without being specific, you quote the entire chapter of Romans 9 as your defense.

The Objector in Romans 9 is an Arminian

Even here one can see a Calvinist thinking that Paul was speaking to Arminians instead of writing about pertinent information at the time.

#141 MartyF, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That can be done with Ephesians 1:4-14, Romans 8:28-30 and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14, as well as John 17:2.
    Romans 9 just develops it in greater detail.
    Romans 9:16-18.
    Exodus 14:4.
    Ezekiel 32:15.
    2 Peter 2:12.

Those are a few.
    Ephesians 2:8-9.
    Romans 9:14-18.
    Exodus 33:19.

Salvation is either a gift, or it is a reward for choosing correctly.
    God either has the right to have mercy and compassion on whom He wills, or unrighteous, God-hating sinners have a say in our own destiny.

#142 Dave G, Oct 21, 2019
  3. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To claim it's God or man infringing on His sovereignty is a false dichotomy.

4. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    See @davidtaylorjr ! Another Calvinist KJVOer who almost always disagrees with me fully agrees in my assessment that that cartoon is an accurate representation of Calvinist beliefs.

Of course, he'll realize that he should have read first and start backpedalling, but the cartoon is definitely an accurate assessment of Calvinism.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the least.
    To me, you are arguing against His right to save someone, and to damn someone.
    It's no more complicated than that.

As I see it, you are challenging His words.

For men to question His authority, holiness, righteousness and purely objective and correct judgment, is sheer folly...and for us to question His right to save and to damn, is not to be fully aware of our own wretched condition and self-serving attitude before Him.

He does as He wishes ( Daniel 4:35 ) with sinful men.
    We offended Him, we deserve death...
    And death it will be, for those who do not believe on Christ.:(

We certainly do not deserve His precious Son's sacrifice, and we cannot appropriate His righteousness by our own efforts...whether at "simply believing" or in any other thing that we might try to do for Him.
    It is a gift ( Romans 6:23 ).
    If or when you come to truly understand that, you will find that there's nothing left of yourself to glory in.

I wish you well, sir, and this is my last reply in this thread.

#145 Dave G, Oct 21, 2019
  6. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me you're ignoring the obvious possibility that he does give man a choice, there are many scriptures where a person is told to believe, or choose and it's not just a intellectual philosophical possibility. So, like I said, false dichotomy.

Deuteronomy 30:15-20

Also I have never even insinuated in the slightest we deserve anything.

#146 OldArmy, Oct 21, 2019
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non0ne is questioning those things or glorying in anything. Any accusation we are is a strawman

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 1:20 AM Pacific.

9. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone could do something to merit salvation, would salvation be solely by grace alone?

10. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, would you someday use scripture to explain your position? I'm not sure I have ever seen any exegisis of any scripture when you have made assertions. I'm not sure why the Bible is seldom presented in your commentaries.

11. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey @davidtaylorjr ! Here's another Calvinist who thinks the Cartoon is an accurate representation of Calvinism!

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See the op

13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't pay attention to any cartoon so please don't tell me what I think about a cartoon.
    I asked a question about salvation.
    If a person can merit his salvation would salvation be solely by grace alone? Would you care to answer the question?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. My question still stands.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op is exactly what you are saying I never do. Further, you have yet to reprove it with scripture and without a strawman. Something you have proven you cannot do.

16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's you making a statement and then claiming a verse as a prooftext. Non-Christians do that all the time (not calling you a non-Christian). They find a verse or a sentence in the Bible and use it as their proof.
    I try to quote and share a full passage when pointing at scripture so the reader can see how the context fits with what I am saying. It takes longer, but it helps me avoid falling into the same trap as Muslims, cult members or atheists who couldn't care less about context.
    When I read your OP, I recognized your primary aim is to state your opinion. Your secondary purpose was to try make it legitimate by claiming a verse for a point as though the verse proves your opinion.
    I would appreciate deeper investigation into scripture first and then a comment stating your opinion on the text.
    So, my view is that using a verse here and there to prop up an opinion is misleading the reader.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So this thread is not about doctrine. I have said that over and over again and you have refused to deal with that over and over again. I did make my position on a few doctrines known so as to show how my position as well as others is often misrepresented by some calvies on this board on a regular basis. Everything you just posted is completely false and completely ignores the point of the op. You have worked over and over again to derail this thread and here you are again. I am pointing out the posting habits of some calvies and their intentional misrepresenations of people like me. This thread is not about proving doctrine.

18. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I shouldn't have posted on this thread then because your OP makes no sense if it's not addressing theology.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know I said once and I will stick to it moving forward. I cannot take you seriously. These debate tactics you employ are just no honest.

20. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, I don't find you to be honest either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.