1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Modernist Christ versus The Christ

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 5, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Funny. I've never heard any learned person say that they were dangerous or worthless. I've never heard that it was faulty scholarship. Hmmm... Wonder why you would say all these things while those who actually know Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic wouldn't? Interesting...

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Scott,

Just hang on, young feller, there are a lot of things that you've not yet heard. But don't worry, your ears will dry out one of these days. ;o)

Mark Osgatharp

3. ScottEmerson

I've heard a lot more than you give me credit for. Again, this is a useless argument - you cannot answer why your knowledge somehow surpasses those who have spent years and years of study in the the learning of Biblical knowledge and who have dedicated their careers to understanding the Scriptures. The age card means nothing at all. It's the last shred that you have to hold on to.

I found your verse: Matthew 23:27-28 - Perhaps you should read it and take Christ's admonition to heart.

4. Mark Osgatharp

Scott,

1. You assume that I have not spent years and years of study in the Scripture. In fact, I have. I've been studying the Bible longer than you've been alive.

But understand something here. My comments to you are not because you are young. My comments to you are because you are a young man who is afflicted with that malady common to youth called "knowitallism." My admotion to you is to,

"Flee also youthful lusts."

2. It doesn't take years and years of study, nor a knowledge of Greek and Hebrew, to find out that the word "carnal" is not always used to denote something depraved. If you'd do a five minute search of your Bible with a condordance you'd find out that theory just can't be sustained.

Brother Vaughn cited two simple passages which totally disprove your theory. I'll take those passages over the ISBE any day.

Mark Osgatharp

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Mark,

I have been studying the Scripture longer than you have. Does that mean that in the places where we disagree with each other I am always right?

If this flawed logic is true, we need to find the oldest Christian alive and follow everything he or she says.

Scott,

Obviously, Mark is mistaken in this belief that simply because you are younger than him, you are therefore wrong. Hang in there!

6. ScottEmerson

If the habits of studying are poor, then you've had many more years alive to learn wrong things about the Bible, or perhaps you've become jaded to Truth. I readily admit that I do not know it all, however, on the other hand, one merely go to the post you started yesterday to understand just how much you think you know.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My estimation is that probably less than one percent of the churches do not pick and choose what verses they would like to live by.

For example how many do you know actually train their congregation just like Jesus trained His disciples? How many actualy can name those who are living for Christ because of their life? How many pastors can actualy say that they take their people out and teach them to share their faith with others? The fact is the majority leave it up to chance. If we trained our children the same way we do our congregations the police would arrest us for neglect.

If I may use the term modernist I would assume over the years in the U.S. that the majority are not in conformity with the way Jesus lived and taught and therefore are "modernist" in their approach to scripture and the way they live. We can discuss doctrine all we want but the fact is that we are living what we truly believe.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

GB93....., I was GOING to recommend you find a good SBC but I see you are a previous SBC pastor!

Our chuch trains us to witness! Our church has Discipleship classes EVERY Sunday night for the littles ones (new Christians of any age) through the adults! We are part of the F.A.I.T.H. program and E.K.G.

Believe me, there ARE churches that are arming their members with scripture and answers to the world! I'm in one!
    Diane

9. Mark Osgatharp

Terry,

I made no such suggestion. It was Scott who suggested that since the folks who wrote the ISBE had been studying for years and years they must have known more about it than I did.

In fact, I said that it does not take years and years of study to learn how the Bible uses the term "carnal."

Mark Osgatharp

10. ScottEmerson

Then answer these questions:

How many years of Greek or Hebrew study do you have?

On average, how many extra-Biblical Greek documents do you read in a year?

What degrees have you received for your study of the Scriptures?

Are you a published writer in the study of Scripture by a peer-reviewed journal?

It's not about time, it is about the type of studying that has been done. If I am incorrect, please answer the questions above and show me wrong.

The fact is that you made a statement that anything that is not spiritual is carnal. Both Larry and I called you on it. You have not refuted the ISBE definition, and only have provided smokescreens, trying to bash it instead of addressing it.

11. Mark Osgatharp

Scott,

I don't know why you are asking such stupid questions, but here goes....

Three of Greek, one of Hebrew.

None.

Bachelor of Theology

No, but I've written some letters to the editor. Does that count?

So tell me, what does all this have to do with the meaning of "carnal" or my ability to know it?

Mark Osgatharp

12. ScottEmerson

So, you're admittedly not as well-read and knowledgable about the topic. Thanks.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Terry,

I made no such suggestion. It was Scott who suggested that since the folks who wrote the ISBE had been studying for years and years they must have known more about it than I did.

In fact, I said that it does not take years and years of study to learn how the Bible uses the term "carnal."

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Mark, you are right about that it does not take years and years. But it takes years of the right stuff. Some could take 100 years and never get the message. Some are convinced of the "rightness" of their own ways. But Paul says they in fact know nothing. Wasn't it Ben Franklin who was told that because he does not listen he will never know more than he did then which is very little?

Some are nothing more than a noisy gong or clanging cymbal. Some children have more sense than some adults. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Some "old dogs" won't listen and don't want to learn and never will.