1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mormons are trying to change their sect so much!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Wow,

It seems as if the answers I got from Mormon "elders" (missionaries) when I was 16 (about 5 years ago) is different than the ones that I get now!

This evening my brother-in-law and I went out on visitation. I knew some Mormons lived in a certain apartment complex so we started looking for them [​IMG] The reason is, since I was 16 my heart has been burdened for them. So strapped down in such a cold, dark, coffin of religion. Anyway, we found them praise the Lord!

After talking to a person involved in Bahai (http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b21.html , http://contenderministries.org/bahai.php ), a Muslim, and several "Christians" (I use that term loosely) we finally find the apartment with a picture of "Jesus" on the front. "Eureka, gold at last" I thought [​IMG]

So we knock, they were still gone. So we came back. . .still not home, but alas , third time was a charm! [​IMG] So we struck up a conversation, they invited us in, and we had a pleasant conversation, as pleasant as could be for two pairs of people so far apart in theology of course. So no, they didn't come to the true Christ this evening, but I gave them my name, number, address, and email address so they wouldn't have an excuse not to reach me.

They were kind as usual. We also were able to make plans to hopefully meet again at a local library one day before they leave (March 8).

Anyway, the original point of the thread (which I've moved away from so far. . .even in the first post--eek!) is that they have changed *so* much in just a few years. I say so due to the answers I got this evening, and how they are so different than they were just a few years ago. It seems everything has become more "Maybe," "We don't know,""That's debated in Mormon circles," etc.

Truly, the world is as a whole trying to become as just one "blob" moving toward God (as David Jeremy put it in one of his sermons I heard on tbe radio recently).

Well, I'll stop rambling. . .for now [​IMG]

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

A cult changing is a surprise in what way??? :confused:

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

No, but the amount of change in that amount of time.

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I think you'll find that the change in the Mormon church so rapidly reflects the increased communication among them due to boards like this.
    {They have them also.}

An example is that they are mostly aware now that there is absolutely no substantiation for the Book of Mormon as a historical happening.

Most of them just took it for granted that it was true until forcefully confronted with the total lack of evidence for it.

Another example is their belief that American Indians were descended from Jews, per Book of Mormon, has been left foundering with the advent of DNA technology.

This information has been widely disseminated on the Mormon boards by Christian participants.

MR

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are keeping their young people ignorant and lie a little so they can come across as Christians.

About 20 years they would have told you at your door that they are not Christians but LDS. I have asked them if they were Christians and the answer was always, "No."

Some years ago they hired a firm to help them improve their image and the firm told them to talk about Jesus to the public. But their inner doctrine has not changed one bit. Just appears that way.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well if they pretend to be Christian, many people will follow them even quicker.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I turned them away at my door today but our Nick went out to retrieve a boomerang he'd left outside and came in to tell me they'd been invited in across the street. [​IMG] I've not been able to even get the woman living there to reply to my 'hello'. Her soon to be exhusband (alcoholic) had worked with our son for a while. I assume that makes me the enemy???

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Sadly the Mormons find fertile ground for proselytizing among Baptists. Is this because Baptists are so poorly grounded in the Bible and Baptist doctrine?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our area (fertile LDS fields) there is a lot of change in the talk, an openness to debate and dialogue, but no difference in the basic doctrinal heresy on which the cult is founded.

They are just as lost as any blinded sinner can be . . and need to hear the Gospel.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Old Regular, that is the same thing i have said often. Baptists have a great appreciation for the Bible, but by and large are ignorant to what it really says. So when they hear of "another Gospel" and it has a lot of "thees" and "thous", that sounds a lot like like their Bibles (that are usually either in the back window of their car fading due to the sun, or hidden under a stack of magazines at home), they become easy pickings.

i have a regular dialogue with mormons both online and if/when they decide to stop by my door...and their core doctrines are not changing.

They are putting on the "christian" name tag a lot more, and are doing what they can to sound more like the average christian...but leopards cannot change their spots. They still believe that the Bible is flawed, that God is an exhalted man, that Jesus and satan are brothers, and that you must accept the Book of Mormon as scripture, Joseph Smith as the prophet of God and the LDS church as the one true church restored to earth prior to their baptism that is required for salvation.

bobbyd

11. Saveferris

Saveferris Guest

As I understood it they were going to make a move to drop the "Later Day Saints" from their name so they could be "The Church of Jesus Christ". Did this ever officially happen?

The mormons back in my home town aren't allowed to talk to me. I have no clue why. [​IMG]

12. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Most definitely! Even stranger, most Mormons don't know what their doctrine is either. I have even heard "mature" Christian Baptists refer to Christian people in the OLD Testament. They interchange Jesus for God all the time, not thinking what they are saying. No wonder Baptists can be suckered into false teachings.
    Most churches don't have time to teach Christian discipleship and doctrine and most members don't want to take the time to learn.
    After all, most churches offer Worshiptainment on Sundays! :D

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Well Said! :D

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Save_Ferris said:

"As I understood it they were going to make a move to drop the "Later Day Saints" from their name so they could be "The Church of Jesus Christ". Did this ever officially happen?"

Perhaps you were thinking of the Reorganized LDS (based in Independence, Mo.) which is now the Community of Christ.

15. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Ferris is correct, but I don't believe the change ever took hold. The plan was to eventually be simply called "The Church."

I used to frequent their boards and this was happening about two years ago.

I would disagree, however, that their doctrine never changes. It hasn't done so recently, but let's not forget that abandonment of polygamy for the sake of statehood and the repealing of the ban on blacks in the priesthood due to discontent in the growing South American and African fields.
    Both doctrines were changed in response to "new revelation" from their "prophet."

MR

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

MR

Their change about tainted bloodlines was more about not being able to get enough ministers ... There for a while they were growing really fast down south ...

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Amazingly,

Smithians find Baptists fertile ground and do not find that amongst Catholics ...

18. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

the mormon church was once recognized only as the church of jesus christ they later added latter day saints.

most cults doctrines change as quickly as the wind changes direction so I wouldnt be suprised to see them do another name change to make it look more appealing to folks searching for God.

I do think that a lot of Baptists need to have an apolojetics class in their church to teach why we believe what we believe and to teach them the difference of christianity and a false relegion, cults and the occult.

19. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

how can a mormon tell the difference between a catholic and a Baptist, is it stamped on our foreheads or something?

No mormon missionairys will target anyone who is willing to listen to them.

if you ever want to witness to a mormon missionary just call that 800 number on the tv svreen that offers the Holy Bible for free,
    2 mormon missionairys will visit you in about 2 to 3 days but they wont have a Holy Bible with them instead they will offer you the book of mormon to read.

I can say one thing about Joseph smith, he had one wild imagination :D

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I useta have fairly regular visits from the Mor(m)ons and from the Jehovah false Witnesses, who have a big Kingdom Hall right down the street. I always invite them in and tell'em I'll listen to whatever they hafta say, long as they want...IF they promise to give me 15 minutes of their time to listen to ME. I have some little kits, one for Mormons, one for JW, one for 7th Day Adventists, and a general kit for other cults.

I NEVER badmouth their cult to them as I do here. That only makes them that much more resistant to opening their minds & hearts to the Gospel.

I haven't been visited recently by any reps of any of these cults. Seems as if me & my family are on their "persona non gratis" list...but that's OK. Long as I'm on JESUS' list of His believers & followers, does any other list matter?

BTW, the BOM has had over 3K changes made in it since Smitty first wrote it. This is NOT the same as the KJVO issue. Several ORIGINALS of the BOM exist, and they're written IN OUR OWN LANGUAGE...so they stand without excuse for changing it if they still believe Smitty was a prophet. And it seems their doctrine has almost done a 360. They sure don't seem to keep much stock in their great leader Brigand, do they?

"JESUS CHRIST-THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY, & FOREVER!"