1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mosaic Law

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Sep 21, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Just thought I would start a thread on this to see what aspects of the law there are and which ones apply.

10 commandments: SPIRITUAL law governs all spirits not under the blood. Consequences of tresspass given into God's hands. All who are "in the vine" still subject to earthly but not eternal consequences of these. Totally "comprehended"/replaced by "love God - love thy neighbor."

Governmental laws: stoning, tithing, cities of refuge, etc. -- means of governing the NATION of Israel. The curses of trespass and blessings for obedience given into men's hands. Represented for Israel by the "fig tree." When Christ came, the "fig tree" had not born its fruit (peace, prosperity, secure national land, public health, etc.). Under the new covenant, these are not a functions of the church with the exception of excommunication for unrepented of sin.

Ritual law: sacrifices, feasts, tabernacle, etc. -- means of worship in accordance with Jewish RELIGION. Represented by the "olive tree." Continuing in these constituted unbelief under the new covenant and those "branches" were "cut out." Under the new covenant, there are 2 such "ordinances:" baptism and communion. The rest of what the church does should be for the edification of the saints to the worship and glory of God.

Do you see what Paul meant when he said, "the old covenant is waxen old and is ready to pass away?" The governmental law had already vanished under Roman law. The ritual law was just about to vanish when the temple was taken away (all the other ritual having been fulfilled in Christ). The spiritual law replaced by a new commandment -- not only love God but love thy neighbor.

Comments?

skypair

2. joyce

joyce New Member

Skypair: Good topic. When one goes to look at all the laws such as in Deuteronomy they realize that those laws were for nation Israel, not the church. I notice from being a member of other boards, not all people know how to rightly divide the Word of God or believe in rightly dividing the Word of God, and think the Mosaic Law is still in effect. They also don't believe in dispensations, as they believe that people were saved in the OT the same way they were now and try and tell us that even though the OT prophesied and foretold of Christ and man's salvation through Him, the people living in the OT times weren't clarivoyant enough to see that and believe that, they went to Abrahams' bosom or to the other side of the great guff. They try and say that man was saved by looking forward to the cross, which in essence is true, those in Abraham's bosom did get a visit from Him when He gave up the ghost on the cross at calvary and descended into hell, snatching the keys from satan and carrying those in Abraham's bosom with Him; but, they were not aware of the second part of the trinity (God the Son); they only knew about the first part of the trinity (God the Father) and that is whom they placed their faith in. The only way to the Father, is through the Son and we are living in the dispensation of Grace. Now, after the rapture occurs, when the church disappears from the face of the earth, then the dispensation of Grace is gone.
    YSIC
    Joyce

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Joyce, Welcome to BB. I have noticed your responses on other issues and you will be a great blessing around here! :thumbs:

"Clarivoyant." I love that! :laugh:

The truth is that on account of not "rightly dividing the word," most don't know what laws are in force. One of the church's favorite/most abused "laws" is the law of the tithe. They covet that money that the Jews used for "welfare" -- the "storehouse," Mal 3:10 -- for the poor so much so that they try to "levy" it on us! Hey! We have a government that, right or wrong, does that in our place! The "governance" of the Spirit says give as much as you are led to ministries that glorify God/Christ!

Funny anecdote -- our church is starting a 8000 sq. ft. Small Group Fellowsip building program under the 1 month "emphasis" called "The Bridge." I can't help (based on what I learn in my small group) thinking of it as the "bridge to nowhere!" :laugh: Seriously, if they are going to continue to use the SBQuarterly for small group lessons, I must seriously doubt what will be achieved there. :tear:

skypair

4. joyce

joyce New Member

So; do you think the tithing law is in effect today and should it be? I think it is not in effect, I think it has been changed to giving. I also feel that by giving a person will give more, because with tithing being a law, people don't like it, but by giving it's usually done cheerfully and I believe it's more than 10% too. LOL
    YSIC
    Joyce

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

AMEN to all of that!! Christians are "self-governing" in that they obey the Spirit. And the thing I find about obeying the Spirit in this is that a lot of wasteful efforts don't get funded and the believer's heart is more into the missions, programs, buildings, etc. that he/she does give to.

It has ired me in recent history that the SBC Mission Board was caught wasting donations (I think they called it a "budget surplus") on luxuries for themselves and in the meantime, we (having to always deal through the board) don't even know our missionaries or their needs and their progress. This is no better than having the federal goverment throw our money at poverty or education, etc.!!

Well, I'll get off my soapbox. :laugh: The original point of the thread was to consider that Israel was given laws to govern 3 areas -- religious law, civil law, and spiritual law -- and to show how that relates to the olive tree, fig tree, and vine respectively.

skypair

skypair