1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Most Asked Question During Ordination Exam

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you abandoned them?

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Interesting that you would jump to that conclusion without knowing any of the story.

No. I didn't abandon them. There's a whole lot more to the story, but I helped them find another pastor before I left, and the pulpit wasn't empty even one service.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will note that there was a question mark at the end of the sentence.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One answer I like is, "I will seek the counsel of my elders to gain their insight as to why I was not ordained, and seek to follow their counsel as the Lord directs me, whether in ministry or not." Baptist ecclesiology does have its blind spots. Self-ordination is one of them. I like to see a candidate for ordination who is willing to place himself under the authority of the local church.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, some local assemblies may lack one among them who is strong enough in the scriptures, or sound enough in character, to rise to the level of Pastor. That's a sad commentary, but it's all too true. That's fodder enough for a different thread on the imperative to train up godly men who are able to teach others also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. Wisdom is needed on the part of the candidate to ascertain that. When it comes to being ordained by one's own local assembly, it should seldom get to the point that ordination is not conveyed. The elders should have properly vetted the candidate before ordination. They will have had many opportunities to see the candidate's character and fitness for ministry displayed. While I am not Primitive Baptist, I do agree with them on the centrality of the local church.

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should pass muster. The Lord's Supper is a means of grace to both the individual and the local body. There is nothing in the elements that make them anything more than common. Wine, grape juice, bread, matzo etc. never become more than what they are. It is what they symbolize that gives them meaning. When we partake of the Lord's Supper our faith should be strengthened as we meditate upon the significance of Christ's broken body and shed blood. We do this communally, so our fellowship with each other is also strengthened. If unconfessed or church discipline prevents us from partaking, God often uses that as a loving discipline to bring us to repentance. This view of the Lord's Supper transcends the memorial-only view but does not go as far as the Lutheran or Romanist view.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's quite possible (if not probable), that tongues ceased during the time of the Apostles, not just after the death of the last Apostle. I think this topic needs a separate thread in order not to derail this one.