1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The most important priority to God is?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 9, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will Metzger in his book Tell the Truth argues that worship is the most important priory to God and evangelism is the second. If churches kept to this truth more evangelism would be happening. He then quotes John Piper whom says that missions exists because worship does not. He also says that the goal in evangelism is not to get decisions, but to get worshipers.

However I am also reading another book on Evangelism and in this one the author argues that aggressive soul-winning is God's number one priority. The author even tells a story of a man led by the Holy Spirit into the woods to a deserted area with no one there but the trees, the rabbits, and the birds. The man preaches a sermon and then leaves only to find out years later someone got saved. This author tells lots of encouraging stories, cites lots of verses, and makes a strong case for active evangelism on a weekly basis.

So according to the Bible what author is correct? You must test your authors with the Word of God.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's number one priority is writing letters to other pastors and telling them how wrong they are.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not whom, but who. You forget so easily.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

God's number one priority is doing what he commands you to do. If that's evangelism, then it's top. If it's worship, then it's top.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is the greatest commandment? I think that is quite telling.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other pastors? Me thinks leave out the word "other"

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Great attitude "reverend". I can see your church is blessed to have someone so encouraging as their "leader".

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

What if neither one of them is correct? You've presented a case of rather limited equivalency and required your fellow posters to respond with Bible-backed answers to a question that may not be as clear as you believe it to be.

First, how can one worship God if they've never heard His word preached? How can they know to worship if no one ever delivered the Word to them?

Second, what good is evangelism if you are not capable of worship? Or if you are unlearned in the ways of worshipping God? Remember, the woman at the well thought she knew the truth. She expounded to Christ that her fathers (forebears) worshipped in a specific place, but Christ turned it around on her and told her that they did not know what the worshipped, but it was now time for true worship to take place "in spirit and in truth."

In my opinion, it's all about what the Lord leads you to do. Not everyone is an evangelist. Not everyone is a worship leader. Not everyone is a deacon. Just remember the message the Lord sent to King Saul:

Our obedience to God is much preferred over anything we could sacrifice, over any tithe we could offer. If we would just willingly follow His commandments, our Christian walk would be so much more filling and blessed.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Go chase a rabbit. Any Jack rabbits in your area? Large rabbits.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well said. This is what Metzger offers and I am sure John C will correct me if I am wrong. John I got the quote on page 152.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How's your church project going brother? I had a interview with a pastor and later sent him a letter. I also got one positive response in one of the personal letters I sent and will keep in regular contact with this man in order to continue to witness but only God can grant faith and repentance.

I am preparing 2 letters for 2 in my local government, and also some letters in the works for a charismatic church, Christian Science, etc... Staying busy.....

One negative response as a bad church said I was sending hate mail. Perhaps I will get this when I include a Chic cartoon tract which is very rarely.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither are right, as God chief aim is to have Himself be glorified thru and by the means of the Cross of Christ!