1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Nature of Fundamentalism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Paul33, Apr 5, 2005.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If an SB church has a woman pastor then they are really CBF. My whole problem with the leaders is that they do not kick the women-pastored churches out of the convention. If this problem becomes bigger I will leave the convention.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

There seems to be many different Baptist fellowships that believe the same. Do they ever get together under one umbrella, or is it fractionalized beyond inter-fellowship?

3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Southwide Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist Bible Fellowship, and World Baptist Fellowship
    (while still separate fellowships) have agreed
    to cooperate or work together on some issues
    and some matters relating to evangelism and missions in the Independent Baptist Network.

I think that there was a fourth independent Baptist Fellowship that met with the other three is some preliminary meetings, but seemed to have
    backed on because of pressure from holders of the KJV-only view and from extreme separatists.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The new IBN- International Baptist Network- is the brainchild of Dr. John Rawlings. It is intended to be 'a network for helping'. Conservative SBC, BBFI, WBF, ABWE, BIMI, Southwide, are all involved.

It remains to be seen where all of this will go.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you can't be considered CBF unless you give missions support. You really think women pastors is a big problem? In the BGCT, about 6000 churches, there is a grand total of 2 full-time pastors that are women. That doesn't count Independent churches and SBTC churchs. You need to get out more, the sky isn't falling like you think.

I tried to read through this thread, enjoyed the nap, thanks. Fundamentalism, of any kind, eventually makes itself irrelevent, don't expect this to change because it has had baptist attached somewhere along the way.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think that this artical pertains in a great way to this discussion. Read it completly before you comment on it.

Peronally, I think that it was one of the most balanced articals written on this whole idea of the future of fundamentalism.

http://www.sharperiron.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=124

7. HappyG

HappyG New Member

Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D are you kidding me?

I'm in Group H! Group "Happy to see this as silly!"

Bell, Bumphus, Ed Nelson handed it to McLachlan, Ollila, McCune, Houghtons, Moritz, Doran,Davey, Buader, Vaughn, Tim Jordan????? Who?

If you think these people are the leaders of the Christian movement worldwide, you are delusional.

In my opinion history as a whole won't even record these men as leaders of the Christian movement. At best, they will be recorded as part of movement that seperated from itself and seperated from itself and seperated from itself until you had Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D, Group E, Group F, Group G, Group H....

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would seem to me that you've not read the monograph cited above. That and I see you're from Virginia so you may not be familiar with the men refered to in the article. I would not be surpised if that was the case. The sector of the Baptist galaxy Pastor Tetreau refered to grew out of the Northern Baptists not the Southern Baptists.

As I read the article, Pastor Tetreau made no claim for the men he refered to as being "leaders of the Christian movement worldwide." Nor would 4H_G or I make such a claim. We would however acknowlege their influence on our ministry.

From your last paragraph, I assume you do not think the Northern Baptist Convention of the 1930s-late 1940s was something to separate from.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

HappyG,

Assuming a lot aren't we? Nobody said leaders of the Christian movemnet worldwide were the men listed above. But they were and are leaders with Baptist fundamentalist "movement".

Obviously you have a weak view of separation. The Northern Baptist Convention was filled with theological liberalism in the the 1930s.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Further, none of the men mentioned in the article would have aspired to such a level of leadership. Good night, Doctor Cedarholm was a local church only man. No universal invisible church for him.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Very frankly many of hte men who would be considered the leaders of the "Christian movement worldwide" are not Christians.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Great article by Tetreau!

I would suggest that men who serve in the IFCA, EFCA, BGC, and CBA are also historic fundamentalists who deserve to be recognized by Group B, if Group B wants to be consistent with its application of historic fundamentalism.

Men in these denominations believe in the fundamentals of the faith and have separated from apostates and modernists. As such, they reflect the conditions of the 20s/30s and the position of those who pulled out of the liberal denominations. They are historic fundamentalists who practice primary separation.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. However, problems arise when men keep fighting the last war. That cuts both ways.

A former CSA general was placed in command of troops during the Spanish American War. When, urging his USA Regulars and Volunteers forward in a charge on Spanish lines, he reportedly yelled:

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Will we ever find a clearly drawn line when it comes to separation? Does such a line exist?

15. HappyG

HappyG New Member

Squire, I am very familiar with the names mentioned in the article.

And the article defines the movement and issues very well. "Silly!"

Ten years ago the movement was talking about these things and ten years from now they will.

Don't kid yourselves this is not about liberalism. The issues listed out in the article weren't about liberalism. All the groups are united against liberalism. This is more about attitudes towards "innovation" and "tradition" than liberalism.

Just reach your community and live out your faith. Who cares where you fit within a movement that thinks it defines the word "fundamentalism" but in reality is a small sect within the overall "fundamental" conservative Christian movement. You just made that clear in the above posts.

16. HappyG

HappyG New Member

4Hisglory,

Your statement above that many of the leaders of the Christian movement worldwide are not Christians is why you are having conferences and meetings trying to figure out why the younger generation is rejecting your "movement."

Because unless you are talking about different people then I am and thus not the leaders of the conservative Christian movement worldwide, your statement wreaks of ignorance and arrogance.

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

HappyG,

You were not very clear in what leaders you were speaking of, to me "worldwide Christian movement" is very vauge terminology. If you meant conservative evangelicalism you should have said so in the first place.

It is evident though that you have a weak view of separation.

18. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

Look folks, I'm out here in the Wild West surrounded by Indians (aka Standard American Pagans). Alot of this discussion has very little to do with me, my home church or our ministry. (The same can be said of Pastor Tetreau a fellow Westerner.)

As for reaching my community, come on out here to Nineveh-by-the-Bay (aka San Francisco, California) and see what Hamilton Square Baptist Church is doing to reach The City.

I am a Historic Baptist. HSBC was founded in 1881 as a Regular Baptist Church (of the Northern persuasion). That was long before modernism reared its ugly head. HSBC still holds to the same theological and doctrinal positions as her founders. Consequently for purposes of this discussion, I view myself as a Fundamental Baptist, not a Baptist Fundamentalist.

19. HappyG

HappyG New Member

4His_Glory,

You keep saying I have a "weak" view of separation which is a very "vague" statement.

If it makes you feel better to keep saying that, I am happy for you. You don't know me or my ministry but I will admit this. I am definitely not dying on the same mountains you are probably dying on.

So if that classifies me as "weak" by your standards so be it. I classify it as accurate and Biblical.

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The determining factor of what it means to be an "historic fundamentalist" appears to be whether one defines this term from the 20s/30s period which resulted in primary separation from apostates OR from the 40s/50s period which resulted in secondary separation and the counter reaction to secondary separation resulting in neo-evangelicalism.

The first view might see neo-evangelicalism as the "historic fundamentalist" position - primary separation from apostates.

The second view sees neo-evangelicalism as compromise and the secondary separationists as the "historic fundamentalist" position.

If this is correct, with which group do you identify?