1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The necessity of scholarship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There is no date for this. There is a point at which one does not know something and then there is a point when he does. It is not something that can be written on a calendar.

And since I am not well educated eschatalogically, for example, you will not find me speaking authoritatively in any of these threads.

I am not qualified.

The only thing that makes ANYBODY a Spirit Gifted ANYTHING is the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit who gifts someone to teach also leads that gifted person to learn at the feet of other Spirit gifted teachers BEFORE he goes to teaching.

Finally. For years I preached on things I should not have been preaching on because I was not qualified to preach on those things.

That was a wicked thing for me to do but I was too ignorant and arrogant to consider that.

I used to preach absolutely dangerous and IDIOTIC things like all other versions of the Bible besides the KJV are of the devil.
    I preached that it is an abomination for a woman to wear pants. an ABOMINATION!!!

I called myself a trinitarian but I preached Monarchialistic Modalism many times!!!!!

That was vile and evil and wicked for me to have done and it is the same for you and everyone else.

It is fine to preach what you REALLY know. It is EXTRAORDINARY wickedness for you to preach or teach that which you do NOT really know.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

But, wait, if these unlearned people speak on issues that are too deep for them, hasn't God made their desires so that they would speak on those issues? So is God then evil and dangerous for adjusting these people's desires?

And if they do speak on these issues isn't it for the Glory of God, since all things are for His Glory?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Here is my THIRD sentence!!:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Start another thread on mediate and proximate causes and I will answer you there.

Even the HARDEST determinist still recognizes that it is evil on the part of the one who is actually DOING the sin.

So if you do it, you may indeed be doing what God ordained for you to do but you are still evil for doing it and you will still be judged- this is true in the most DETERMINISTIC scheme of things.

You point then is a red herring.

But if you want to discuss that I will gladly meet you on a thread that addresses that.

This thread does not.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Agree that the Holy Spirit has chosen to send into Body "gifted" teachers to help train/mature those under their teaching ministry

Agree that one should know past history on the doctrines/current scholership views etc IF raised up by God to be a formal teacher of Word of God
    Agree such a one SHOULD know/learn original languages Bible wrote in

BUT

The Holy Spirit IS best teache rof the Bible as HE wrote/inspired it

person can be learned in Greek/Hebrew, know church historical views/scholarship etc

Still be quite liberal and deny cardinal Christian Truths!

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think we agree here on principle Luke. As usual it is the harsh edge that comes with your words that most have difficulty with. Please allow me to try to say the same thing in a bit more "kind" manner and see if you can agree.

To say "you ought not to talk about it" suggests that people can't ask questions, disagree, or engage in conversation about matters they aren't studied in, but how else are they to learn if they don't engage in conversation about new topics?

I think what you mean is that people who haven't studied a particular subject should speak as if they are an authority on the matter. They shouldn't pretend to know more than they do. Then they should seek to learn through discussion, study and engaging the topic.

Would you agree thus far?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm glad I cannot see his posts anymore (except for the occasional one someone replies to)...[snip]

#27 webdog, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  8. JesusFan

Good to keep in mind EVEN the Apostles were rebuked , see paul to Peter
    ONLY Jesus "infallible" teacher

Also, thinl ALL can be learners of word study and apply it can become learned in it By HS and by reading fruits other labors

And that some are actually "gifted" called as formal teachers!

9. Skandelon

I'm not sure how it is a red herring to bring up the point that you are challenging people to do what only God can causally determine them to do through the manipulation of their nature/desires. In your deterministic view, God has to give man the desire to be studious and nothing else, including your exhortations, will make that happen. So, I think the question is why are you fighting against God and what he has foreordained others to desire? After all, they can no more change their desires than a leopard can change his spots, right?

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't know of anyone on earth who denies that.

What is your point?

The fact of the matter is that the same Holy Spirit is the One who gives us teachers and expects us to learn from them.

No one ought to teach who has not been taught.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Start a thread and I will meet you there. Otherwise this is pointless antagonizing.

This thread is not about the decrees of God or ultimate and proximate causes. This thread is about the necessity of scholarship before one speaks on a matter.

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I appreciate the ones on this thread who are contributing, and the ones who do drive-bys about ignoring others, and scour threads to praise others only to anatagonize, well, it's not hard to discern ones walking with Him and not walking with Him.

"Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy." 1 Corinthians 4:1

The seriousness and solemn duty of the Message and Scriptures is declared herein; That we are Slaves of Christ (we should be) and we are Stewards (managers) of His mysteries. Are we enslaved to Him then to this duty, or not?

We should take this endeavor and calling very seriously.

This is Luke2427s point.

Play off the ones who drive-by and antagonize. These I believe are works of the flesh. Let the wise put them away.

I agree with Luke2427s big picture. Those who are not as serious about the walk that comes with this endeavor are clearly discernable from those who are within this thread.

- Grace and Peace to His

#32 preacher4truth, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jude 10 is not talking about Christians but about unsaved and condemned men. Read on to verse 12.

Jude 1:12-13 These are spots in your love feasts, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about by winds; trees whose fruit withers, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.

Try again.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Actually I understand what Luke is trying to say. But, the way he says it has a condescending and arrogant tone to it as do a lot of his posts.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It id evil to speak of things that you know not REGARDLESS if you are saved or not saved.

Saul disobeyed God. I can say to Christians DON'T disobey god like Saul did even though Saul may not have been a Christian.

Disobedience is sin no matter WHO does it.

Speaking on theology when you don't know what you are talking about is sin no matter WHO does it- saved or lost.

Since the Christians of the New Testament were not so plagued with the arrogance that plagues the church today examples of THEM doing it is going to be rare.

16. JesusFan

"Point" is that ONLY "quaification" a Chrisiian really needs in order to post with understanding here on BB is to be filled with HS, study the Bible, be an applier of what is learned, and be open to see what others have to say!

One CAN indded know a lot of the Bible and theology even as a "lay person" or should 'scholars" only need apply?

17. Skandelon

And I'm asking how God's influence on one's scholarship and desire to speak is a red herring and unrelated to this discussion? Do you just not want to bring God's influence in on this discussion so you can continue to rebuke men for not desiring what God has casually determined them not to desire?

I can understand why you would want to overlook that point. :smilewinkgrin:

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point 1: We should study to show ourselves approved.

Agreed.

Point 2 appears to be: We should study under God-gifted teachers.

In general, agreed. God provides the gift of teaching; those who have the gift, should use it.

Argument regarding point 2: We can only learn if we are taught by teachers.

Not neces
    sarily true. Look at Paul:
    Galatians 1:12
    For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Luke, would you clarify the points of argument: Are you saying that we can only learn if we place ourselves under teachers? Or are there other modes of learning the scriptures?

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

God works in us to will of His Good pleasure. Php 2:13

Not all are teachers, there is a distinguishment of this within the NT.

God does exercise His determinitive will in choosing ministries. 1 Cor. 1:1, not the word "will" (NASB)

God doesn't cause some to desire to teach, as He has gifted us according to His own purpose.

Those who do speak the Word should take it very seriously, 1 Cor. 4:1

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The Apostles did not NEED teachers. They received it from the mouth of God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.