1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NET Bible got me on this one...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jan 20, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I have a great deal of respect for the NET Bible, if only because of its abundance of footnoting. But here's something I found in the NET that I also noticed in my NASB: it's regarding the translation of προ χρονων αιωνιων in 2 Tim 1:9 and Titus 1:2.

2 Tim 1:9
    NET: "He is the one who saved us14 and called us with a holy calling, not based on our works but on his own purpose and grace, granted to us in Christ Jesus before time began"

fn: GK “before eternal times.”

NASB: "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity."

Titus 1:2

NET: "in hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the ages began."

fn: Gk “before eternal ages.”

NASB: "in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago."

2. In both 2 Tim 1:9 and Titus 1:2 the preposition phrase is προ χρονων αιωνιων. Why not translate them the same? Am I missing something here?

3. Then I checked the TNIV: "in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time" (Titus 1:2).

"who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time."

4. So the TNIV, HCSB, and the ESV are consistent in their rendering of προ χρονων αιωνιων.

5. Why the NET and the NASB chose otherwise, I don't know?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, TC.

I just noticed this and thought I'd put in a couple of yen. My guess is that it was just an oversight. When a large committee does a translation, sometimes the final editors miss something like this that maybe should be translated consistently. Translating the NT alone is a huge job, taking 1000s of hours. The truth is, it's a wonder they do so well!

An interesting comparison is how the KJV sometimes translates σημεῖον as "miracle" and sometimes as "sign."

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hi John,

Yes, it was an oversight. In an email exchange with Dr. Wallace, the general editor of the NET, he said that it was the same guy who translated both 2 Timothy and Titus and that he made a mistake.

Tell me, translation is incredibly had work, esp. trying to produce a new version altogether.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as I suspected.
    Exactly! In this case, a similar phrase was used twice, and you want to translate it the same if you can, but only a language genius with eidetic memory can remember the details all the passages he or translated. It's easy to miss.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John,

I believe with computer programming they can make translation of identical phrases easier.

I believe this was employed by the HCSB translators. I'm not sure.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. James Price (an engineer before he was a Hebrew scholar) wrote software to help translate from Hebrew, and he was an editor on the HCSB. I don't know if his software was used, though.

Even the search feature on a good word processor can help here. For example, today I went through the Gospel of John and changed how I translated "son of man" in the whole book with just a few clicks! :type:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just For Reference Sake : NLTse

2 Timothy 1:9 ... before the beginning of time

Titus 1:2 ... before the world began

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The Greek is identical in both cases and so treated in the ESV, HCSB and TNIV.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TCG , how far do you want to take concordance ? The RV was super concordant , whereas the KJV was not for instance . Should 'sarx' always be rendered 'flesh' in every instance ?

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Not at all! When the context warrants an identical translation, then it should be such.

Your point is well taken with sarx.

For example, I pointed out 2 Tim 1:9 and Tit 1:2 to Dr. Wallace, gen. editor of the NET and he quite agree that the prepositional phrase, which is identical, should be translated the same.

In fact, he said he was going to pass it on to the person who worked on the PE.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

That's good stuff!

Well, I've viewed a clip on the HCSB and its gen. editor Dr. Blum, a Presbyterian, mentioned that.