1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Covenant Constitution of the Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 22, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'm sorry I didn't get back with you. As I see the discussion developing, I think what everyone is trying to show you is that A) Jer 31:31-40 refers to religious, national/ethnic, and spiritual Israel (note 31:38 especially).

B) It is "day coming" in which God will make His new covenant with this Israel herself. When is that day then? It is the end of Daniel's 70 weeks. Read Dan 9:24 and compare it to 31:34 when He "shall forgive their iniquities and remember their sin no more" with "make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity."

So what day is God speaking of? The 2nd coming and the resurrection of ALL believing Israel, Rom 11:26. No, He's not speaking of the church or church age or any remnant that becomes the church. It is a totally different "day" timewise that our day.

The church did receive the new covenant of His blood BUT NOT in fulfillment of Jer 31. Yes, national/religious/ethnic Israel will receive it at a future date when they actually know and receive Christ/Messiah. AND they will receive it through the law. They are the ones represented in heaven (Rev 5) as looking for someOne to open the seals and give the "Hanameelian deed" (Jer 32:7-12) to planet earth to Messiah. Who do they find? The Lamb! They "make the connection!" Lamb - Christ! They are gloriously converted -- at least the 144,000 "remnant" are (Rev 14). But still the "heart of flesh" for Israel awaits the MK.

skypair

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

That is, your inference.

3. ReformedBaptist

And what I asked for was for you to actually interact with the text of Scripture in Hebrews. I spent again much time this week (I was on vacation) reading and re-reading Hebrews. The author of Hebrews (the Holy Spirit) makes a distinction between the old and new covenants and shows plainly that the New Covenant is in Christ Jesus, a present reality, and includes both Jews and Gentiles. The New Covenant in Jeremiah 31 is the same New Covenant we celebrate every time we take the Lord's Supper.

RB

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How then should we understand the question and the answer given in Acts 1:6 and 7?

5. ReformedBaptist

That's a good question for which I don't have an answer right now. But since we would have to draw an inference from the passage to try to get at its meaning, I would want to interpret it in light of related but more plain teaching of Scripture. This, of course, would be my method. I would have to spend some time studying this out to give a full answer. And I am presently studying through Hebrews and the seminary work, so I probably won't give it much attention at this time. But I will keep it mind brother.

RB

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Fair enough, my brother. :thumbs:

7. ReformedBaptist

Now, if all discussions/debates could be as gracious as you have been with me. Thanks my brother. I have been really working on this myself. Sometimes I get frustrated and respond out of that frustation. Hopefully those times will be few and far between.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB, I could be rough sometimes in my replies, so you're not alone. :thumbs: