1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Living Translation...Is it accurrate??

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ThePrayerWarrior, May 4, 2003.

1. Hello all,
    I am wondering whether or not the NLT is accurrate. On the back of my Jesus Bible (NLT), it says "The accurrate New Living Translation..." but I want to confirm this...

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

NLT is not accurate translation.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The NLT is only slightly better than the Living Bible paraphrase. It uses dynamic equivalence to the hilt. It has value, but only for its particular class of Bibles. It is not suitable as a stand-alone for study.

Thanks for the question!

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

The NLT is a wonderful paraphase. Just remember that is is a paraphase.

I think it is substantially better then the Living Bible paraphrase.

5. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

The "translators" of the NLT believe it is accurate. Of course. No one would say about his own "translation": This is just a piece of garbage, but buy it. They think it is accurate.
    I believe the NTL is the best paraphrase edition available. Paraphrase Edition are sometimes nice to read but if you want to have a real translation of the Word of God, get a KJV, NKJV or NASB. There are some differences but you can be sure that it is real translation and not "that´s what we believe God says" [​IMG]

6. lightkeeper

lightkeeper Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have really enjoyed using this translation for personal reading for about two years. It really illuminates certain passages. I have also purchased many copies to give to people who have never read the Bible before, and found that they do seem more interested when they see how it is written in an easy-to-understand format.

I have not personally found any glaring inaccuracies, but do have some prefernce issues. One of the things I do not like is that I enjoy the metaphors of the Bible, and sometimes do not like where the NLT removes these in favor of today's usage. For example, I enjoy phrases like "slept with his fathers" which the NLT will change into "died." Is this an accurate translation? Yes, but I prefer reading the other.

I also found, as one who grew up with the KJV, that I cannot memorize verses using the NLT. So, I use the NASB for memorization and serious study. When I read through the Bible on my train rides into my office in Washington, D.C., the NLT is the best for that for me.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pete, you're probably right. I'd say it is much better than the TLB. Thanks for the correction.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would best to compare the bibles with the same tanslation style. The NLT is dynamic, and as a dynamic translation it is fantastic. In fact I prefer it over the NIV which is dynamic (or at least as close as you could possibly get). There is a lady in our church who has come to America and English is her third language after Chinese and French. She had a KJV and was hoplessly confused, using the NLT has brought the bible alive to her and really helped with her English.
    When I speak from a narrative section of scripture I like using the NLT, helps me to be concise but still get the point across.

9. Well, I personally like the Jesus Bible (NLT). It speaks to me personally and it isn't just another Bible. There is something different about it. Something I can't put my finger on...

10. kman

kman New Member

Check out:

http://www.newlivingtranslation.com/

Click on "Ask the Experts" in the middle of
    the page. It has information on the translation
    philosophy, texts used, gender issues, etc.

-kman