1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Testament Reason for Honouring the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 14, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is why I - a Calvinist - believe the Seventh Day the Sabbath of the LORD your God, Creator, Redeemer and Judge:

1. "In fulness of the Sabbath midst of (day)light before the First Day of the week" Christ rose from the dead by "the EXCEEDING greatness of the power of God";

2. "Having triumphed through it (Jesus' resurrection from the dead) - "Let not you (Body of Christ's own) be judged by anyone (of the world) FEASTING YOUR SABBATHS' FEASTS";

3. For thus God concerning the Seventh Day ... in these last days ... (as ) of old ... through the Son ... did speak: And God the Seventh Day finished ALL His works" - through the LIFE, death and RESURRECTION of Christ from the dead "ACCORDING TO THE LAW OF INDESTRUCTABLE LIFE" - God unchanging, faithful and eternal and almighty;

4. For THIS Day, the Sabbath of which Jesus "the Son of Man is Lord", IS "THE LORD'S DAY" FOREVER - UNTO HIM BE WORSHIP, PRAISES, GLORY AND HONOUR!

2. gekko

gekko New Member

woah - this is the third time i've seen this in the last 5 minutes! it's like deja vu all over again! lol.

you know why i believe the seventh day is the sabbath? hmm? BECAUSE THE WORD OF GOD SAYS SO.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To which I may add two more reasons, one negative, one positive:

That the Sabbath so happened to be established by fulfilment of Promise and Prophecy to the day, according to God's eternal Council;

The Sabbath is point and subject of Christian warfare, banner of the Lord Jesus Christ in the face of antichrist and "the lord sun's day".

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, THE WORD of God - Jesus Christ, today, yesterday and forever the same. Never did God say a word about the Sabbath - also not in the days of old - spoke He not through Christ. My argument in a word, is, it's Christian.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gekko,

You know, actually I'm wrong above where I said that enemy no. 1 is Sunday. The true Sabbth's - the Christian Sabbath's enemy number one is the Sabbath of Judaism! As the SDA's Mrs White has said: The Law the Law, as dry as the gravel of the hills of Gilboa. Legalism spelled the death of the Christian Sabbath when the SDA Church and the COG churches were born.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

huh???

Every time I try to read Gerhard's posts, I come away wondering what he's talking about.

Most every time, I cant understand the point he is trying to make.

Is it just me?

I never know whether he is for or against something. Or exactly what it is he is trying to say.

Then if I ask, I STILL dont know what

Claudia

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

nevermind... I wrote something here but deciding it wasnt even worth trying to say ..

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Well I guess I will try.

Gerhard brought up a statement by Ellen White which in reality had to do with the fact that AT Jones and EG Waggoner were bringing in special messages of Righteousness by Faith alone in the merits of Christ into our church but some of the brethren were trying to block the messages being preached. Here is what she actually said:

Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, March 11, 1890,
    "You will meet with those who will say, "You are too much excited over this matter. You are too much in earnest. You should not be reaching for the righteousness of Christ, and making so much of that. You should preach the law." As a people, we have preached the law until we are as dry as the hills of Gilboa that had neither dew nor rain. We must preach Christ in the law, and there will be sap and nourishment in the preaching that will be as food to the famishing flock of God. We must not trust in our own merits at all, but in the merits of Jesus of Nazareth. Our eyes must be anointed with eye-salve. We must draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to us, if we come in his own appointed way. O that you may go forth as the disciples did after the day of Pentecost, and then your testimony will have a living ring, and souls will be converted to God."

It has absolutely nothing to do with whatever Gerhard is trying to do.

However, there is a sermon called "Creation or Evolution" by AT Jones which I really always found interesting... it is about one of the reasons we SHOULD be keeping the Sabbath... I love the writings of Jones and Waggoner, personally.

(I hope I am doing this right)

Here are a couple of paragraphs from the sermon and then I will put a link where anyone who wants to read the rest of it can do that:

"Evolution is thus almost synonymous with progress. It is a transition from the lower to the higher, from the worse to the better. Thus progress points to an increased value in existence, as judged by our feelings."

Now notice the particular points in these three sentences: evolution represents the course of the world as a gradual transition from the lower to the higher, from the worse to the better; and assumes that this process is immanent in the world itself thus to be transformed. That is to say, the thing gets better of itself; and that which causes it to get better is itself. And this progress marks "an increased value in existence, as judged by our feelings." That is to say, you know you are better, because you feel better. You know there has been progress, because you feel it. Your feelings regulate your standing. Your knowledge of your feelings regulates your progress from worse to better.

Now in this matter of progress from worse to better, have your feelings anything to do with it? If they have, what are you? Every one here this afternoon who measures his progress, the value of his experience, by his feelings, is an evolutionist: I care not if he has been a Seventh-day Adventist for forty years, he is an evolutionist just the same. And all his Christianity, all his religion, is a mere profession without the fact, simply a form without the power." Portion of Sermon from A.T. Jones, Creation or Evolution?

(Read the remainder of his talk here)
    Creation or Evolution? by A.T. Jones

Claudia

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I meant to say is simply that the SDA's keep a legalistic Sabbath - just like the Jews and for the same reason as the Jews and with the same motivation as the Jews.

Refer to ellenwhite.info for hundreds of quotes where she says the SDA Church should receive more 'light', and review and test each and every of their doctrines. I don't know about your history so well so I would not have known the particular context of the gravel-story. However, Mrs White says it it plenty a times.

And you cannot understand what I say? Then you cannot read.

And you say I don't confess straight forward I believe the Seventh Day Sabbath? Then your accusing me falsely because I firmly believe the Sabbath Seventh Day of the week of all the ages, but because it is CHRISTIAN, and neither Jewish nor legalist.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Frankly I couldn't care less.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a lot to be said for that -- but then.. you're not a Calvinist.

In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Define what "you" mean by legalism instead of just accusing others.

#2. If legalism is "Christ said it so do it as in John 14:15" like WE have been posting then you have one or two NON-SDAS also pretty interested in the Word of God!! What will you do with them?

Hint" they may not be Calvinists.

In Christ,

Bob

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I based my confession of the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD your God on these Scriptures - Greek - 1. Matthew 28:1-3 and Ephesians 1:19-23;
    2. Colossians 2:16f
    3. Hebrews chapters 1, 4, and 7:16
    4. Mark 2

But my confession actually derives from all the Scriptures and the bigger picture of its Christological escatology.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    G.E -- Your "revised definition" of "legalism" appears to be "Failure to ADD G.E explanations for Sabbath keeping to what you ALREADY find inscripture".

How you can imagine that only SDAs fall into that group is a mystery. We have Seventh-day Baptists here, Messianic Jews and others that all would fall into that group of "non G.E speaking Sabbath Keepers".

How in the world can you spin this as "an SDA problem"???

In Christ,

Bob

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW - I don't think I ever saw the kind of Calvinist that you are - 5 points?

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Define what "you" mean by legalism instead of just accusing others.

#2. If legalism is "Christ said it so do it as in John 14:15" like WE have been posting then you have one or two NON-SDAS also pretty interested in the Word of God!! What will you do with them?

Hint" they may not be Calvinists.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]What I mean with legalism:
    The Law is my only reason - that's legalism. 'I must': That is 'Law'. Christian freedom is: I may; I am invited and lured contrained by the love - one direction from, of Christ (Calvinism).

What will I do with SDA's that may ... I'll first have to find them; but I think I stand a better chance of finding a few Jews.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Man, here are the Scriptures before your eyes. And what do the one or two SDA's do? Only what was expected they would do. For the umpteenth time. Why? Because the opposite side is non-SDA - only and single reason why! I gaurantee, had Jones of Waggoner or EG White or any tithe-paying SDA said the same things I say, they would have been thrown out for false prophets. The problem with the SDA Church is not Mrs EG White; it is the SDA Church.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The LAW is God's Word. "My reason to honoring Sabbath is God's WORD instructs Me to do it" is not a sign of legalism. Te NT authors REPEATEDLY call the saints to obedience to God's Word. If you are willing to denounce all the saints that do that - your are truly forging your own path here G.E.

Hint: the SDA doctrinal statement precludes Calvinism so only the truly unniformed ones would even think to go that direction.

My point above was that there are quite a lot of non-SDA Sabbath keepers posted here that are NOT Calvinists - so they are inclined to do what God's Word says as well. Do you denounce them all??

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This very discussion is proof of what I have said, that the SDA Church is its own biggest enemy. WHere will you find a discussion like this - this freedom of speech - in ANY SDA forum or medium? The SDA are forced to resort to a Baptist Forum for it - It's a shame! The Adventists would not allow me to speak to them not even in the congregations; and the scholars scorn or ignore - no one has done better yet; nor ever will.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You find out for yourselves what the College Helderberg in SA does - Do they give credit to a student who might refer to my books that are on the shelves of the College Library? You find out, because I cannot present any case because - you find out if it's true - they from the outset of a consignment are not permitted to refer or make use of my works! So they will go on till the last day. Queitly, discreetly, subtely - si I shall make a fool of myself if I ever bring the subject up. How clever! What have they got to loose? And what to gain, I cry out, it's incredible!