1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NHL

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jul 14, 2005.

?
  1. No, I don't care for the sport.

66.7%
  2. Yes, I enjoyed the NHL

33.3%
  3. I caught an occasional game now and then, but really did not have much interest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

They blow it in bowl games because of Lloyd Carr the head coach. If Michigan is content to win a Big Ten title now and then, and always finnish in the 10 top, occasionly making it to the Rose Bowl where they will loose, then keep Lloyd Carr. But if they want to win another national championship get sombody who has a little more guts.

Anyhow back to hockey to keep this on track.
    I notice that these poll results are split half way, when it comes to wether the NHL will rebound or not. Interesting...

Also I am surprised how many hockey fans are here. That is a good sign, and could provide some great discussions when the season starts up.

2. OCC

OCC Guest

You may have a point there about Carr 4His. I heard on this radio show last fall they were doing like a comedy "interview" with Carr. Like they took things he had said in the past and put them as answers to the questions. It was a riot...and he came across as not the brightest bulb in the box.

Yeah there should be some interesting discussions here when hockey starts up again. Who do you think the Red Wings will lose to free agency? I think Hatcher is gone.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hatcher and Chelios are both gone because of the salary cap IMO.

Thats ok they still got some great young defensemen.

Chelios was an old guy for hockey anyway,I think he was past is prime.

What do you think of the Wings new coach? I was kind of surpirsed they fired Dave Lewis.

4. NateT

NateT Member

Shoot, if they loose Hatcher and Chelios, then I won't be able to spell any of the Soviet-West (err.. Red Wings) players :D

I haven't heard much about the CBA -- are they doing revenue sharing or just a salary cap?

About the sports on cable -- I'm dissapointed that Monday Night Football will go to cable after this year. I had heard that NBC was to pick up some of the NHL games (since they didn't have anything else really). Is that still the case with the next season or since they didn't play this year is it voided?

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Yeah Chelios is old for hockey and past his prime. I don't know why they fired Lewis and got this other guy. What has he really accomplished? He was the coach of the Mighty Ducks! lol

Hey Nate, yeah Monday night football on cable is not cool. I don't know about the NHL and NBC. No offense but any major American network that covers hockey tends to ruin the game. :( Anyone remember the blue and red streaks and the glowing puck? If someone can't see a black puck on white ice they better find a new sport to watch eh? haha

As for the CBA...I think they are just going with a salary cap and no revenue sharing. Things won't be much different. Many of the teams were not spending at the 39 million dollar level anyways and the richer teams will still get the best players...they'll just pay them less.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Those streaks were so stupid. In the Detorit area the best channel for hockey is CBC. You just can't beat "Hockey Night in Canada". Especially the coach's corner time with coach cherry- the guy cracks me up.

CBC used to have a comerical that mocked those stupid blue and read streaks. It was hilarious.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NateT

NateT Member

I had a roomate in college who was a HUGE NYR fan. The only time he'd come home earlier from the physics lab (he was a physics major) was when ESPN had a hockey night. They seem to do things all right.

The blue streaks drove me nuts and (at that time) I'd only watch hockey if there was ABSOLUTELY nothing else on.

Even if you couldn't see a black puck on white ice, you could at least be smart enough to watch where the guys were skating, and who was being chased -- those were two pretty good indications of where the puck was [​IMG]

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hockey fans seem to have no problem knowing where the puck is.

When I met my wife in Bible College, I had to teach her how to appreciate hockey. After all she was going to marry a guy from metro Detroit.

It didn't take her too long to figure out where the puck was. I did, however keep having to explain icing, offsides, two line passes, penalty killing, etc. over and over again.

10. NateT

NateT Member

I'll be honest... it took me a while to get icing. I got the gist of it, but there were always those times that I thought it should be called but wasn't. For example, the ref thought that player could have touched it before it went across the line but didn't.

I still don't get when it's boarding and when it's just a good clean check.

11. OCC

OCC Guest

Even I don't get it sometimes, what is boarding and what is a good clean check. I think it's subjective. As for your analysis of having an idea where the puck was...right on. :D

Just to embarrass myself a little...I didn't even know what the down and yards to go system in football meant til I was about 11 or 12! Offsides in hockey took a little while for me to get as well.

12. NateT

NateT Member

I thought Candaians were born knowing all the rules :D

I was used to a lot of the rules because soccer had some very similar ones. By the time I had gained any interest in hockey, I had played or refereed soccer for about 6 years or so. Thankfully there was no icing there ;)

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

A good clean check is the one that benefits my team! :D :D :eek: :cool: [​IMG]

14. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL right on 4Hisglory.

Hey Nate...yeah we are supposed to know all the rules. [​IMG] I was almost banished from the country. haha

You know what kills me about soccer? They have a huge field to run around on, a huge net to shoot at, and the ball hardly ever goes in the net! :( It is one of the most frustrating sports there is.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I love soccer, but I am a missionary to Argentina so I have to love soccer.

Viva Argentina!
    Vamos! Vamos!

I still love hockey too. I guess I am a pretty big sports fan.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

[​IMG] Go England! And Scotland! And Ireland!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dallas Stars are reducing their ticket prices next season by an average of 16%. Are other NHL teams such as the Red Wings doing something similar to get the fans back?

18. OCC

OCC Guest

To tell you the truth Ken, I don't know yet. But they draw fans no matter what the cost of the tickets. [​IMG]

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Since the mid to late 90's the Red Wings have sold out nearly every game at the Joe I believe. They have a strong fan base. It was hillarious in previous seasons to watch a Red Wings away game and notice how many of the fans from the away city were Red Wing fans!

Of course when your the best thats what happens.