1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "Nightmare Scenario"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So you really think that evil, the lesser of two or otherwise, is gonna REALLY try to undo evil?

2. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, Trump is a chameleon, and pro-life is a color he's chosen to blend in with the core Republican electorate. He's a super salesman and I'm not yet ready to buy. What he would do if in the White House - do we really know? It seems to be a choice between the evil we know and the potential evil we don't know. A Trump presidency might include very able appointees doing good things, or it might turn out worse than anything Clinton would do, even including SCOTUS appointees.

Also, I think it to be unfair to lay the Trump nomination at the feet of evangelicals, though they/we had a part. To me, it's more what I call "Archie Bunker evangelicals" (who are not evangelical at all) that have been the basis of Trump's support. However, I agree that the US is speeding toward God's judgment, confirming the truth of what Paul wrote to Timothy, that things would wax worse and worse. However, as BW318 so aptly put, believers need to be serving God fully, especially in sharing the Gospel, and no "nightmare scenario" should be used as an excuse to do otherwise.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Impossible.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's my prayer.

HankD

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Doesn't that run contrary to the nature of evil? If a house divided cannot stand, do you really think that evil is intentionally going to attempt to undo this knot in the process of producing Godly offspring?

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprisingly, I agree with you carpro!

No matter what, Clinton will nominate left-wing justices. She might name a center-left justice to get through a tough Senate battle.

Trump wouldn't nominate anyone left of center because of the GOP Senate leadership's input. He would have to listen because he needs confirmation. Trump doesn't like looking unsuccessful, so he would nominate what the Senate wanted--a right of center candidate. Now, yes, you could end up with an Anthony Kennedy. But Anthony Kennedy is no RBG.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God is able to use evil to create good and then destroy the evil with the good which He used to create the good.

:)

HankD

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tendor

Tendor Member

I am sure that there are lots of things that would be worse than Trump becoming president. For example, the volcano at Yellowstone erupting which would destroy at least half of the United States. That would be worse than Trump or Clinton becoming president. You could make an argument that the volcano erupting would be God's judgment on the US.

BlessedWife318 did not say anything about God's preplanned wrath being a wonderful thing for us to behold. What she said was that God rises and topples empires and holding on to that is a wonderful thing. Holding onto His sovereignty is a wonderful thing to hold on to. I don't think that anyone will enjoy seeing God's wrath on display regardless of who it is directed at.

You act like having a bias is a bad thing. Everyone has a bias, even you have a bias and you choose to criticize her for having one. Also, an impressive amount of emojis but I think you can put more on your response to me. Consider it a challenge, how many emojis can you put into one response without making yourself look ridiculous. Oh never mind that event has already happened. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never even used the word Wrath in connection to Trump or Clinton. I have always used judgement, as those two words have very different connotations. One can come back from judgement, such as Judah after being in exile for 70 years in the Old Testament, or even Nebuchadnezzar being crazy for 7 years, but there is no coming back from God's wrath once it is poured out. The cavalier way that the Gospel (equating salvation to pastor being able to endorse candidates from the pulpit) and God's wrath (used as a sarcastic tool to jab at someone he disagrees with) have been spoken about by Benjamin is heartbreaking to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really didn't need the strawman. It kinda ruined your whole statement.

11. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeah I know Benjamin strawman of my position ruins his argument, but it does support one of my biggest :) .

12. Tendor

Tendor Member

How is what she said a strawman? Benjamin said that Trump would help the spread of the Gospel and then he posted a video of Trump saying that he would get rid of the Johnson Act, which keeps pastors from endorsing anyone from the pulpit. Either these two issues are linked in his mind or Benjamin picked an incorrect video to support his point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You don't get it?

OK , tell me who "equated salvation to pastor being able to endorse candidates from the pulpit".

I'll help you out here. No one. Ergo...strawman

She was making a good argument. Why ruin it with something that didn't happen?

14. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently I was not the only one that thought the video of Trump freeing pastors to endorse candidates was a bit misplaced when talking about the Gospel, but Tendor did bring up another option, that the wrong video was linked by accident. So I will give Benjamin the benefit of the doubt and assume he linked the wrong video and wasn't trying to link sharing the Gospel with endorsing candidate :)

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you're not going to take responsibility for your false statement.

Hmmm... I've always thought better of you.

16. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what false statement? the video he linked is about endorsing candidates. Do you disagree? What does that have to do with the Gospel? Like I said I will assume it was the wrong video, and that he wasn't meaning to link those two together.