1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The NIV Is In Good Company

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Oct 24, 2015.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read them. Understood in the cultural context of the late 16th early 17th century they are quite common, using the language of the British Court.

Perhaps if you would study a little more history, and read some of the writings from that day, you would be able to understand.

Are you one of those people who think David and Jonathan were gay lovers?

1 Samuel 16:21 And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armour bearer.

1 Samuel 18:1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

1 Samuel 18:3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.

Context, context, context.

But, of course, it is impossible to read what I posted in context simply because you refuse to read it. Read James' book Basilicon Doron. It will open your eyes (if you lay aside your preconceived notions and let it).

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even of the King was Gay, would that in any way affect the translation of the KJV? Think not, as don't think he was on the translation team, was he?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agape love exceeds all love.

HankD

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, such a baseless accusation is usually a diversion from the actual topic at hand by those less than able to offer factual discussion.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is beyond dispute that KJ was not heterosexual.

"Further concerns were expressed over the king's increasingly obvious homosexual tendencies, which led to certain royal favorites being granted favors that were the subject of much comment and envy...although James fondled and kissed his favorites in what was widely regarded as a lecherous manner in public, the court was prepared to believe that his private behavior was somewhat more restrained." (pages 10-171 of Alister McGrath's In The Beginning: The Story Of The King James Bible And How It Changed A Nation, A Language, And A Culture)

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the worst that we can say is that he was probably bisexual unless the 9 children were the product of parthenogenesis.

Hey, give him a break - 9 kids?

HankD

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as it has been noted above, James I & IV didn't sit on any of the translation committees.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, one other thing - no book on earth has had the blessing of God like the King James Bible, the bible of the Great Awakening.
    And the Modern Missionary Movement
    http://www.preservedwords.com/legacy.htm

A long read but worth the time.

No, I am not KJVO (anymore) but we need to realize and give credit where credit is due for this extraordinary book used mightily of God.

It is not the human instruments but God Himself to whom we give the glory for this remarkable Bible.

HankD

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, of course. A man writing in the 21st century is privy to secrets nobody in the 16th or 17th century were privy to. And using such devastating words as "widely regarded" and "prepared to believe." And who was it at court who had an ax to grind against King James? Oh yes! Anthony Weldon. You remember old Anthony, right? Dismissed from the court for his pathological xenophobia as evidenced in his book "A Description of Scotland?" You remember, the same guy who supported Parliament during the English Civil War and approved of the Regicide of Charles I, but did not live to see it. A man described as "kind to his friends but a bitter enemy to those who crossed him." Like James I and his son Charles I.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1617 John Oglander (1585-1655) said that James "never yet saw any fond husband make so much or so great dalliance over his beautiful spouse as I have seen king James over his favourites, especially the Duke of Buckingham."

Who was this Duke of Buckingham? It was George Villiers (1592-1628).

King James wrote to this first Duke of Buckingham :
    "I desire only to live in the world for your sake, and I had rather live banished in any part of the world with you, than live a sorrowful widow-life without you. And so bless you, my sweet child and wife, and grant that ye may ever be a comfort to your dear dad and husband."

Francis Osborne (1593-1659)
    : "In wanton looks and wanton gestures the [James and George] exceeded
    any part of womankind.
    "The kissing them so lascivious a mode in public and upon the theatre, as it were, of the world."

Sir Edward Peyton (died in 1657):
    "The king sold his affections to Sir George Villiers, whom he would tumble and kiss as a mistress."

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TMI.

Ya, I know, I was also accused of TMI in another thread.

HankD

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to look that up. I knew it couldn't have been referring to Three Mile Island! LOL

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if he was all of those things, did he translate any portion of the KJV to the church though?

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. And if there was a gay person on an NIV committee, she wasn't a translator either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ironic that the same stuff Rippon wants to blastt KJV with, is same as some blasted his version with also!

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone alleged the NIV had a lesbian on the translation team. That was untrue. So I pointed out that King James himself was gay. This is true. And here you are, late to the thread.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't ask, I won't tell.

HankD

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    More nonsense. Failing to understand the flowery court language common in England over 400 years ago, taking it completely out of context and ascribing to it that which is only in the hearts of those who have fallen for the "gay agenda:" To claim most people of history to have been sodomites so they can point out how great and wonderful such sin is.

Virginia Mollenkott is a red herring being used by ignorant haters of the NIV to avoid discussing the actual merits of the NIV, just as the false charges against James I are used by ignorant haters of the KJV to avoid discussing the actual merits of the KJV.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To borrow a technique that you use--"Where did I point out that sodomy was great and wonderful?" "Where did I say I hated the KJV?"

And, claiming that King James used flowery court language is used to disguise and cover up his homosexuality. Turnabout is fair play, huh?

The "flowery court language" you speak of can be read and understood for what it is. What heterosexual male would describe a male friend as a "wife"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up with the KJV. Most of my memorization verses are in the KJV. I still read the KJV. I like the KJV. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that King James liked men.