1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "No Lord gospel"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jul 31, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Let me offer, FTR, that I suggest some of us (probably including me) should read your/our posts more carefully before hitting "Send!". I suggest in the attempt to 'present points', sometimes we are (all) making unwise statements. I will give one small example from a post that just appeared on this thread.
    There are some disturbing implications in this wording that have little or nothing to do, per se, with Lordship Salvation. (BTW, the 'bolded' words, which are exactly as copied, are not the disturbing ones, nor is 'Lordship Salvation' the problem here, either.)

'Nuff said. Think about it!

Ed

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Does anyone believe this besides me? :type:

skypair

#22 skypair, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The question asked was not whether one could have salvation by 'how they prayed' but rather could one pray otherwise. It asked nothing about praying to "the God of the Bible", regardless of intent. My answer stands in answering the question.

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I fully agree with some of what you quoted, but not necessarily all of it. My own position is, I think, pretty clear, as well.

Ed

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Ed,

Do you need a Lord in your salvation plan, or is it Lordless. That is what I have asked.

:confused:

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Sky,

yes or no....

Its very simple.

Do you need a Lord in your salvation plan, or is it Lordless? That is what I have asked.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many PB sites on the net, brother.

I got this from one:

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now that is what I call a really l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-n-n-n-g baptismal service! [​IMG][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Ed
    [/FONT]

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Without Jesus there is NO gospel and NO salvation.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since new believers are compared to new "babes"...what does a baby know upon birth, or prior to birth for that matter?

When I was saved, I knew I was a sinner, and faith in Christ was the only way to get right with God. I didn't know what a full commitment to turn from sin was, I knew I was a sinner, and in order to be forgiven and made right in God's eye, I needed faith in Christ's birth, death and resurrection.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, your intuition is correct. He and JohnP are the resident hyper's here on the BB :)

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

That may be, but I have seen in him far more of a tender, gentle, and meek Christian attitude than some here. He is my brother in Christ.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...as he is mine. We don't agree on how we got there, but we got there.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Web,

Maybe you would like to address the OP and not dodge it like others has.

If we remove "Lord" from salvation, is this not "Lordless"?

Addressing you post...

You said...
    Faith means believe.

You needed to believe Christ was born and died and was resurrected...for what reason did he do it?

I mean..these facts the devil knows. What makes your faith better?

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Claimming Christ as Lord is not deep theology that requires discipleship. Neither is it difficult to understand. Niether does it suggest maturity.

What it does say is "I am willing, teach me Lord". Zacheus didn't need to sit through a discipleship class to know to make amends or give to the poor. The woman at the well didn't need a 12 week disipleship class to know how to be a witness. Those who are truly saved have a heart for God (Dan 11:32)

We do many people a great disservice allowing them to think they are alright when they arefar from the Lord.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which has to what with the question I answered in my post, and in my response to your last post?

I have stated that answer extremely clearly, if you actually bothered to read my posts(s), earlier.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1267501&postcount=40

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1268527&postcount=33

Going all the way back to my first month on the BB:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=31500&postcount=13

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=1895&highlight=make+Jesus+Lord

Plus several posts in this early thread when I was somewhat younger and a little less cantankerous, maybe, but before I learned my lesson about not using 'shorthand' on BB 'handles'. Incidentally, I would rate this last one as one of the most informative threads, for all to read, on the Lordship salvation subject that has been on the BB, even if you ignored all my own posts in it. :D

Ed

#36 EdSutton, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Christ is Lord...your question makes no sense. Nobody here on the BB has removed Christ (Lord) from salvation.
    Faith can mean believe, but faith is belief in action. The object of belief determines faith.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith=belief

Elect=chosen

Christ=Messiah

Soul=Spirit

They're called synonyms.

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Rip,

Question for you brother. Feel free to PM me the answer if I am taking you off topic here. When you say soul=spirit, is that an affirmation of the dichotomy of man? I ask because I am about to study anthropology in my school and I have briefly read Charles Hodge on the subject.

Thanks.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,I believe in the dichotomy of people.We are binary creatures. I have read very little of Charles Hodge.I own none of his books.He is appreciated very much in Reformed circles though.However,he seems too philosophical to me.I like the writings of his son,A.A. better.They're much more clear.

Gordon Clark, though a Christian philosopher, is less philosophical in his short Bible book commentaries. He develops the dichotomous nature of people very well from the Word of God.