1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Obama Win: Explanations And Theories

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/11/macro_spin_divide_in_two.php

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama won primarily because his opponent is not a Conservative.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

NOT directed at any poster - but here is the answer

"It's the economy stupid'

4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

What about media bias?

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had the black vote sewed up with his color.
    Had the liberal vote sewed up with his liberalness.
    Had the poor vote sewed up with his give aways and hands off the illegals.

Add in all the voters that don't keep up on what's going on and you have - how could he not win? :laugh:

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Obama won because the Bush administration has promulgated 4 (8?) years of evil. Try as they might the Republican candidates could not convince the voters that they are not really Republicans.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's not so, even if the Conservatives didn't vote for McCain they sure voted against Obama.

When that guy stood up and said he was scared... And when that woman said he was Arab... The black fellow who begged McCain with tears in his eyes... Even if they didn't want McCain, they were voting against Obama.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

In my view this was debatable... I know what the percentages of the reports said but I don't recall there being too much negative in the Obama camp to report. Obama ran the most disciplined campaign in modern history. Most of the negative events happened in the McCain camp. You can't report what doesn't happen.

Now they did report the spread the wealth comment and certainly the Biden gaffs but that was the bulk of the Obama negative press...

Unless you can remember more that wasn't reported.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You sure don't give the average person much credit...

10. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Well, I know that the featured news on sites like TheWallstreetjournal, The Chicago Tribune, and whatever organization is responsible for the news articles that show up on MSN and Yahoo all were extremely pro-Obama. For example, a lot of economists think that Obama's plan to tax the top 5 percent is a disastrous move, but these economists only had a venue on Fox news(at least this is my impression, Obama's tax plan did not get scrutinized by the media much).

I also know that as a whole, pro-Obama articles kept surfacing on Wired, Slate, and the American Prospect.

11. targus

targus New Member

Well now that Obama has been declared the victor will anyone be checking to see if any of ACORN's bogus registrations actually voted?

Or do we not care about voter fraud?

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I had to approximate...
    40% being the Democratic candidate
    15% because the economy has taken a dip which is noticeable to/felt by most voters
    15% because of Bush, and McCain believed to be a continuation of the Bush presidency
    10% because of the novelty of a black or mixed race candidate (consider the interviews with celebration participants)
    15% other attractions [state/region, talking environment, 'soak the rich,' intelligent demeanor]
    5% other reasons [vote only because persuaded & offered transport, to 'make history,' to be given the modern equivalent of "40 acres and a mule,"...]

13. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to media bias, George Stephenopolis (sp) and his panel admitted on air that the media had been biased.

As to "You sure don't give the average person much credit..." snide remarks make not proof - if I'm wrong prove it :thumbs:

"Had the black vote sewed up with his color." Blacks said they were voting for him because he was black.

"Had the liberal vote sewed up with his liberalness." I'm sure not many conservatives voted for him so all those votes came from somewhere.

"Had the poor vote sewed up with his give aways and hands off the illegals." You can bet many welfare folks and those wanting all the goodies voted for him.

"Add in all the voters that don't keep up on what's going on and you have - how could he not win? :laugh:"

The youtube video of people asked why they liked Obomba that didn't know McCain from Obomba's positions rather proves some of this was right.

"You sure don't give the average person much credit..."

Your comment seems to assume liberals voted blindly for another liberal - could be just as some conservatives vote blindly for conservatives - when they have one.

And most important note the smiley face that indicates funny, humor, tongue firmly in cheek etc.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With a democrat winning, there won't be any lawsuits.

That's where all the whiners are.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone that says the corrupt old media wasn't in the tank for Obama is in dire need of a brain search. Their heads have to be empty.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't recall them scrutinizing the McCain tax plan so I don't see your point. There were economist to include fact check and a non-partisan tax organization who said McCain's policies would leave us higher in debt at the end of this administration.

Those were not sites I read but I have to ask again, how much negative stuff came from the Obama camp that didn't get covered? In my view, the McCain camp continually had negative stuff coming up which is why more negative was reported.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Didn't it conclude ACORN only registered 400K voters? Obama won by more that that so what would it matter.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

All your statements stereo type and put all Obama voters in narrow categories. Perhaps some didn't know his positions but there were some conservatives who believed the lies were truth. Think of that woman who got up and said he was Arab??? And like you said, I agree there were some blacks who voted for him because he was black, there were some whites who didn't vote for him because he was black.

So your points are inclusive which isn't given the average person much credit for being above those narrow bullet points.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I haven't seen that, do you have a link? I know of some who were afraid not to vote for their fear Obama would win.