1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The old man

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by trustitl, Nov 30, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hi HP,

1. I conclude from Colossians 3:1-11, that when we were united with Christ through faith in Him, we died to the old man, which was crucified with Christ, and raised to walk in newness of life in Christ (Gal 2:20).

2. But there must have remained traces of the evil man in us, since Paul says "Do not lie to one another, since you have taken off your old self" (Col 3:9).

"Do not lie" is present imperative and "since you have taken off" is an aorist participle, whose action is antecedent to that of the main verb, "Do not lie."

3. The old man has already been taken off, yet with deal with sin on the inside (Rom 7).

#21 TCGreek, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are doing ok.

BBob,

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I agree.

HP: When one is first saved and purified by faith most do not realize to the extent that sin has had an impact upon us. Although we have been forgiven of sins that are past, we have not for the most part dealt with old thought patterns and habits that war against our new nature. Here Paul is reminding them that they have put off the old man and his deeds and not be entangled again to that yoke of bondage. In another place he says, Ro 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

HP: I believe that Romans 7 depicts the life of a condemned but enlightened sinner and not that of the normal life of the believer. Romans 6 and 8 sandwich seven and completely refute any and all notions of the life of the believer being that of the struggle of chapter 7. Chapters 6 and 8 set forth deliverance from the bondage of sin found in chapter 7.
    It should be the hope of every believer to seek a life of the victory over sin found in Chaters 6 and 8, should it not?

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

HP: I believe that Romans 7 depicts the life of a condemned but enlightened sinner and not that of the normal life of the believer.

I am not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you see the man in ch. 7 as saved? How can this be true in light of Rom. 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

The normal life of a believer (them which are in Christ Jesus) is that they don't walk after the flesh.

HP: Romans 6 and 8 sandwich seven and completely refute any and all notions of the life of the believer being that of the struggle of chapter 7. Chapters 6 and 8 set forth deliverance from the bondage of sin found in chapter 7.

That is because chapters 6 and 8 are the life of a believer. It is not something they set out to achieve: it has been achieved for them and to them. Chapter 7 is merely a picture of what needed to happen for it be be theirs. The husband in the story is the flesh. It (he) needed to die for the woman to be married to another because she was bound to him as long as he lived.

Rom. 6:18 "Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness."

HP: "It should be the hope of every believer to seek a life of the victory over sin found in Chaters 6 and 8, should it not."

Like I said above, this life is ours not something we seek out. We were made to be that way. We just need to "reckon" it to be true just like a southerner sees big black clouds blowing in and says"I reckon it's gonna rain". He doesn't make it rain be reckoning it to, rather he "believes" it going to rain and he watches it happen because of the power in the clouds. When we are tempted we need to say "I reckon I am alive unto God and dead INDEED to ... I don't need to serve you anymore sin. Praise Jesus !"

This is what a slave had to do in Jan. of 1863. He had to say "I reckon I'm not a slave anymore and I'm leaving this plantation because I'm free". He had to believe it and then walk away. It may have been a little stretch for him to do it, but with each step he said "praise Abraham Lincoln who made this possible! He didn't make himself free by walking, rather he was free and he walked off "in newness of life."

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I can only imagine Bro Bob, anyone who starts with take the bird out dancing???

Can you email me some of those leftovers? I've seen file storage sites, is their one for food?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wish I had some to send you, but I couldn't even go back for seconds that evening. I had a 22 lb turkey and a huge turkey breast which I put it piggy back on the turkey and baked all together, and they eat it all.

My turkey died happy though, he was sitting at the kitchen table with a knife and fork waiting to be served, with a huge smile. I had to sneak around behind him, and hit him in the head. He never knew what hit him. We make a family gathering of it and the turkey chimes right in with us, thinking he is going to have a great time. Thats the only way to go though.

I got scared for myself, the way that bunch eat. It was really dangereous around here for a while, until they settled down.

I can't wait for Christmas............:laugh: :laugh:

BBob,

#26 Brother Bob, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  7. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I am re-posting the original question. There was little focus on the questions and few comments on Colossians 3:9 where the old man is clearly said to have been put off.