1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The ONE FACT that stops KJVO in its tracks...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I told RLVaughn, I'm still waiting for a PLAUSIBLE explanation that doesn't involve incest.God was explicit about taking one's sister in Deut. 27:22 among other verses.

The simple truth is, GOD **HATES** INCEST, and God doesn't change. If he hated it once, he's always hated it. Prob is, some people have their minds made up that God DID allow incest, and they won't change their minds.

That's all I have to say about it. Now, let's please get back to the subject of this thread.

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing fair about promoting a false doctrine.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm not gonna keep beating this dead horse. Either one believes God once permitted incest, or one doesn't. Given how He called anyone doing it "cursed", I don't think he did. As for Abe & Sara, she was his HALF-sister, & there were several examples of that, later on in Scripture. But the cases of Cain and Noah's children, the disbelievers say it was DIRECT incest between full bros. & sisters, which I don't think God EVER approved. And that's THAT!

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you are correct - this has gotten off OP - so I have started a new thread - click here

RC - would still like you to answer the other questions.

and now back to the original OP

5. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, he comes back to the same point. But to be honest, KJVO is beating their own drum as well. Even this week on this forum, I had a KJVO tell me I was a demon-worshipper for denying the true inspiration of the KJB. So I see robycop3's point. When the idiocy of KJVO stops, anti-KJVO threads will stop.

I'm not sure if his angle with the argument is the best choice. Personally, I think the only way to deal with idiocy is to behave like an idiot. I've thought about starting NLTO and telling everyone that they can't understand the Bible because they don't believe and trust the divinely inspired NLB.

As far as the number of times? We have Arminians/Calvinists bringing up arguments/passages which have days worth of video and piles of books in refutation and they bring nothing new to the table. They just rehash the same argument.

6. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptural support for the canon is in fact found within the Bible. This has been discussed ad nauseum by those in apologetics to Atheists. "Letters from a Skeptic" by Greg Boyd could be a primer but there are many, many others. Basically, the books of the Bible interweave with one another in such a way as to promote the canon.

Where, exactly, do you find explicit scriptural support for the Chalcedon formulation of the Trinity?

I would say that any part of the Chalcedon formulation of the Trinity not found in the Bible is speculation. But the Chalcedon Creed is more concerned with the divinity and physical nature of Jesus than the Trinity as a whole.

7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always assumed since God controls the universe, the KJV was part of his plan for us. But he also provided many other translations where we can compare and clarify using the modern tongue.

8. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

Yet you and I should be fair and honest in our dealings.
    That’s not too much to expect of professing Christians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, who cares?

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the genetics were perfect, it would not make any difference. It was before the law, so it was not illegal.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SDS? JWs are a cult.

What difference does it make if someone uses the KJV all the time? I do, and I am not KJVO. I notice that the ESV is gaining popularity now.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot speak for Robycop - but I would think we would agree --

There is no problem with using the KJV- the problem is when someone says that any other version
    is a perversion. I grew up with the KJV (at the time- that was about the only version that anyone used.) I have memorized many verses from the KJV. But language does change - for some - it is hard to understand the KJV- especially the archaic words. In addition the reading level may be too high for others
    Currently, I use many different versions - as I like to make comparisons.
    Just keep in mind that translation is not a perfect science.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I guess that means you have no defense since you decline to address the specifics. How do you determine the extent of the New Testament canon?

I didn't ask about the Trinity as a concept, but of its explication as set forth at Chalcedon.

13. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the scriptural reference is where? Sounds like another man-made doctrine.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All CHRISTIANS should, as that false doctrine is being taught TO Christians BY Christians.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "SDS" was my goof - I meant "LDS" or "Latter Day Saints - the Mor(m)ons.

And USING the KJV aint the prob - it's putting all other English Bible translations down as not really valid Bibles & that the KJV is the ONLY valid English version out there. That's simply FALSE, & should NOT be taught by ANY Christian.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Chalcedon conference of 451 AD tackled the argument of the dual nature of Jesus while He was here as a man. That was their concern, much-more than the concept of the Trinity itself.

But WE should heed the BIBLE, not any councils of men. Scripture plainly sets forth the Personages of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, while maintaining the fact of the one Godhead. And we must remember that GOD CAN DO ANYTHING! So again, mens' councils are not important when compared to SCRIPTURE. However, the council of Chalcedon was right about the dual nature of Jesus while He was here as a man. They didn't try to understand how God became a man, except to acknowledge that it was a fact.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for the canon, I accept what God has given me as His word. If you wish to add to or subtract from it, that's between you and GOD.

18. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone believes in teh KJVO view and they believe that the KJV is the Word of God to the English speaking people, what false doctrine will they be engaging in? What doctrine given in Scripture does that belief contradict?

19. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, no answer except to deflect and accuse me of something I have never advocated. No wonder it's impossible to have a rational conversation with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You won't find one, because that is by far the most reasonable explanation, usually assumed by almost all serious students of Scripture. (well, the conservative ones anyway).
    Right, he was pretty serious in Deut. about Sabbath-keeping, and a million other commands not given to Cain....why assume it was his "sister" anyway? It could have been his great-great-great niece for all we know. The age difference would have been insignificant. Have you even put any serious thought into this???
    He forbids it certainly at this point, that doesn't mean he always did.
    His essential nature doesn't change, but his policies and requirements for his creatures might.
    That sort of distinction escapes you.
    Why assume that?
    Right, because they are aware of the fact that there is no evidence of it being forbidden until explicitly verboten in the Mosaic Torah.
    You are inventing laws and doctrines WITH ZERO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT.....just as you accuse KJVO'S of doing. That is pointed out to you occasionally, but you only care to be consistent about a particular dying and increasingly irrelevant issue.
    We are, you were speaking of despising teaching of doctrines with ZERO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT.....such as teaching commands which are not in Scripture such as forbidding incest amongst pre-Torah peoples, and inventing creation histories out of whole cloth....both being doctrines with zero Scriptural support.
    Along with the KJVO myth, you should reject such man-made doctrines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.