1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The ONE FACT that stops KJVO in its tracks...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm an indy fundy, & neither I nor my church believe the KJVO myth nor any other MAN-MADE doctrine of worship.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe in KJVO either. Those people wouldn't like me.

On the LDS cult, do you watch YouTube blogger Doris Hanson's weekly show called Polyagmy: What Love Is This? She points out a lot of incest in Utah and elsewhere among Mormons.

Also, Mohammad allowed for 1st cousins to marry. But then so do several US states I think.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, ACTUALLY, ALL "one-version-onlyism" is wrong. After all, God is not limited.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, ACTUALLY, I have; just not recently. I've come out against the NWT of the Jabroney False Witlesses, & the "Clear Word" of jack Blanco for the Seven-Day-Adlibber cult as well. And, I don't care for any mostly-paraphrased version. (All legitimate versions have SOME paraphrasing or a few words added for clarity due to language differences.)

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not surprised at almost anything the Mor(m)ons might do. "Quick Joey Small" Smith & Brigand Young decided to include polygamy in their cult, so, as the big kahoonas, they could have harems. So, I'm not surprised that they have incest as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You’re right - this is proof that Calvinism leads to the path of destruction . . . ;):Ninja:p:Sneaky

8. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I am saying is that his anti-Semitism isn't the fruit of being KJVO. And I agree he doesn't read the Bible at all. And I would say that is likely not an authentic follower of Jesus. No saved person could be so vile as he.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact remains that the KJVO myth has NO Scriptural support & therefore cannot be true. And if one carefully reads the preface to the AV 1611, one will see that not even the KJVO makers were KJVO themselves. (As their boss, Archbishop Bancroft, died in 1610, I don't know if he edited that preface or not.)

That FACT of no Scriptural support should've killed the KJVO myth long ago, but its proselytes still cling to it despite its being proven false.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BUT Scripture clearly shows that the Apostle Paul was KJO !!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, that's an interesting, if slippery slope that you're on, Roby.

When you state "myth", I'm interested to know what you think is "mythical" about someone who sees differences in the translations, and then asks, "why?".
    Is it a myth that, for example, the ESV and the KJV not only read very differently in certain passages, but in some they read vastly different?
    Should no one be concerned?

It's all the same no matter what the glaring differences are, right?:Laugh

I actually agree with you on this point:
    There is no Scriptural support to back up one version over another.
    But there are people who inherently know their Saviour's words, no matter which language they are in ( John 8:47, John 10:27 ).

I know that I will find many of them in the ESV, but I wouldn't use it because it makes heavy use of the CT for it's manuscript base.
    I also know that compared to the KJV and some others, the large majority of today's English translations are very different then my trusty AV...because of those same manuscripts being used as a base.

Simply put,
    I cannot find any other logical reason for committees to keep making them ad nauseum, other than money.:)

#91 Dave G, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

But when was the last time you ran into an English bible that was more accurate when compared to the Majority Text than the KJV?
    Young's Literal?
    The NKJV?

I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, but I never have.

When I see one, I'll let you know.;)
    Are you aware that God can use men to do His will?

" For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled." ( Revelation 17:17 )

I believe He did, with some of the work developed during the Reformation.
    I think the Lord used William Tyndale for His glory, and that the bulk of the work done in the later "KJV" relied heavily on Tyndale's.

But I don't believe He used men with many of the trsalations being developed today.
    Why?

Because we're still on the "we-cannot-know-God's-words-until-all-of-the-extant-manscripts-are-discovered train...
    To me, there's still no end in sight and it only gets worse.
    There also have not been any major discoveries of manuscripts since the Dead Sea scrolls, if I'm not mistaken.

Do you have a solution to the never-ending English translation debacle?
    If it really was a matter of getting to the best one, I think we should have been there long before now.

I agree...so, why won't it die?
    I'll tell you why...

Because people see the differences, and rather than trust any of the new ones, many are simply holding on to what they know is a good one.
    It's kind of like the guy who loves his old '57 Chevy, and hates the "newfangled" stuff.;)

If and when another really good one comes along ( like the difference between the Old Latin and Jerome's ), then I'm sure they will probably jump ship and this will go away like a bad dream.

Hey....give it time.
    It took almost 50 years for the AV to take over from the other Reformation-era Bibles.:)

#92 Dave G, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We both should know the answer to that, Salty.:Laugh

He spoke both Hebrew and Koine Greek ( Acts of the Apostles 21:37-40 ).;)

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's also not the author of confusion...which is what's been going on in the English-speaking world for over 150 years now.:Thumbsup

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know Salty you may have something there... King Jesus Only!... Brother Glen:Thumbsup

Btw... Since there has been so much flack about the King James Version (UH who could that possibly be?):rolleyes:... My future quotes will be taken from The King Jesus Only Bible!

#95 tyndale1946, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Gimme the KJV that Paul used ! !"

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I have snow shoes on.

The "four Gospels" all read differently in every Bible, and so so the versions of the "Lord's Prayer" in Matthew & Luke I could ask, "Which is correct ?"

So, can YOU PROVE one is correct and the other one incorrect?

I actually agree with you on this point:
    There is no Scriptural support to back up one version over another.
    But there are people who inherently know their Saviour's words, no matter which language they are in ( John 8:47, John 10:27 ).

Can you *PROVE* which mss. are the ones God prefers? After all, HE preserved ALL of them!

Can you find any reason for making the KJV when the Geneva & Bishop's versions were popular in the English-speaking world, other than the desire of some Anglican clerics to have a new version made ?

And thru it all, the FACT remains that GOD does NOT support any one Bible translation in any language, nor one particular set of Scriptural manuscripts. So, the KJVO myth remains as false now as it was on the day of its man-made invention.

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They all are.

I'm surprised you would ask that.:Sneaky
    It's all God's inspired word.
    Can I prove that the Textus Receptus is the superior text base?
    No.

Can I prove that most English translations today are based on an even smaller cross-section of mss than the AV?
    I think that was done a long time ago.
    Of course not.
    Can you?

I feel in my spirit, that the TR is the correct one.

However, It cannot be proven in a court of law.
    If you ask many "KJVO's" / "KJVP's", they would probably tell you the same thing.

However, I probably could make a very convincing case before a jury, of your apparent bias against the AV.:(

Which leads me to a question...
    What exactly is it that you hate about the AV?

#98 Dave G, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A better translation, just as the translators said in their preface.;)

Can you find a reason that the need for a better translation exists today?
    If so, which one, and if God-sponsored, why isn't it finished yet?
    That you know of.
    What you may consider fact, another person may consider bears looking in to..

Respectfully,
    There's are many reasons people may disagree with your evaluation, Roby.
    Was that in 1881 with the advent of the Westcott and Hort Critical Text, or the English RSV in 1885?
    I think you've missed the problem.

The big question I have for you is...are we there yet?:)
    Again, if today's English translations were being made in order to get to a better translation, as the KJV was, then why are there so many, and being developed and released in such quick succession?

It's about money, Roby....not getting a better translation.;)

If I were guessing, I'd say that what bothers you most about "KJVO", is that you don't want anyone to force you into using something that is 400 years old.
    No one is trying to do that.

The argument is, it's more accurate....not easier to read than many others.
    The argument is, it's based on the TR, which is far more accurate with regard to the Majority Text than the CT is.

Therefore, it's even more accurate, overall, than the NASB, with respect to manuscript base.

Accuracy and faithfulness, Roby.
    Not readability.;)

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because your mind is locked in on the KJVO myth. Actually, the NKJV, & NASV are more-accurate translations. They don't have many of the goofs the KJV has, such as "Easter" in Acts 12:4.

Again, that's because you're locked in to the KJVO myth. Seems you're in thrall to it. That's equivalent to being hooked on the Model T & rejecting all modern cars.

Some people were raised on the KJV, such as the late J. Vernon Mc Gee, but he acknowledged the goofs in the KJV & certainly didn't condemn any legitimate newer version. However, he continued using the KJV cuz it was the version he was most familiar with, while encouraging people to use the version(s) they were most-comfortable with.

I'm age 71, but I wasn't saved til age 30. Not long afterward, my dad & I almost got into a fight with some people who condemned us for teaching an impromptu public Bible-reading session using the NASV. After that, I started studying to see if KJVO were true, & found it wanting in many points, til I knew-not guessed-it was nothing but a man-made myth & false.

it SHOULD have, a long time ago. it's as false as Paul Manafort's testimony.

And that's ONLY cuz it was enforced by the British govt, which was then the strongest on earth, which forbade the printing or sale of any other version within its realm, kinda like Hitler did in Germany with Mein Kampf & Mao did in China with his "Little Red Book".

I readily admit the KJV was the best English Bible version OF ITS TIME, but that time is long over. Much of its English is no longer in use. While the '57 Chevy was a vast improvement over the Model T, my new Fusion with all-wheel drive & turbocharged 6 is a vast improvement over the '57 Chevy. (I owned one! It was a fine car, but the Fusion has it beat in comfort, performance, handling, & gas mileage.) it's MUCH-easier to teach Scriptural truth from a modern-language version.(I primarily use the NKJV & NASV.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.