1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Parable of the Unjust Steward

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I put this on my blog. Really blessed me last night what I read.

I must, for the moment, postpone my next chapter summary to give you a quote from one who is likely little known today. Cunningham Geikie was a scottish clergyman born in 1862. He pastored several churches in Canada becoming a recognized author in his time.I happened upon a commentary of his in my text regarding the interpretation of biblical parables.

Geikie is quoted to show an example of setting forth the scope and purpose of the parable of the unjust steward. This quote shed so much light upon the parable for me, that I wanted to share it here both for the reader who may happen upon it, but also for my benefit that the truth of Christ's words may burn into my heart.

The parable of Jesus is found in Luke 16:1-13. Here is Geikie's comment with regard to the scope and purpose of the parable:

"By becoming my disciples you have identified yourselves with the interest of another master than Mammon, the god of this world--whom you have hitherto served--and have before you another course and aim in life. You will be represented to your former master as no longer faithful to him, for my service is so utterly opposed to that of Mammon, that, if faithful to me, you cannot be faithful to him, and he will, in consequence, assuredly take your stewardship of this world's goods away from you--- that is, sink you in poverty, as I have often said.

I counsel you, therefore, so to use the goods of Mammon--the worldly means still at your command--that by a truly worthy distributor of them to your needy brethren---and my disciples are mostly poor--you may make friends for yourselves, who, if they die before you, will welcome you to everlasting habitations in heaven, when you pass thither, at death. Fit yourselves, by labours of love and deeds of true charity, as my followers, to become fellow citizens of the heavenly mansions with those wants you have relived while they were still in life.

If you be faithful thus, in the use of your possessions on earth, you will be deemed worthy by God to be entrusted with infinitely greater richers hereafter... Be assured that if you do not use your earthly riches faithfully for God, by dispensing them as I have told you, you will never enter my heavenly kingdom at all. You will have shown that you are servants of Mammon, and not the servants of God; for it is impossible for any man to serve two masters." -Geikie, Life of Christ, chap. liii

May the Lord by His Spirit breathe life into the words of Jesus Christ and make them to sink down into our minds and hearts, that we may rightly test ourselves to see if we be servants of Christ or Mammon. How freeing the Word of Christ is to the soul!

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

RB, this is a great example of how God has given some a gift of understanding and teaching the scriptures.

Whenever I hear someone say, well, I just read the Bible, it bothers me some. They are denying themselves the wisdom and insights of God-gifted men, and have seem to be proud of it. It smacks of smugness to me. Shoot, why do they even sit in a Sunday School class, or hear their pastor preach, if that's the case?

So when I read such as the OP, I'm thankful that God has given some keen intellect and spiritual understanding, and the gift of teaching or preaching.

Don't get me wrong. My theology, my soteriology, my eschatology and my ecclesiology are based on my understanding of scripture. But I owe that understanding to (1) the Holy Spirit's illumination, and (2)Godly men whose intellect helped guide me in my understanding.