1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Passion of Jesus Christ" Book Review

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Passion of Jesus Christ, Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came To Die, by John Piper (Crossway Books, 2004).

A fellow Baptist, John Piper, has written a book that is sure to draw an audience from those that have viewed the movie, “The Passion of the Christ”. Yet this book would be acceptable to those who haven't seen the movie too, it would probably not provoke the critical comments that have divided the Board.

“Why did Christ suffer and die?” Piper has identified fifty purposes. Each purpose includes major supporting verses (written out in the ESV) and a brief commentary on two short pages.

Some of the chapters are:

Christ Suffered and Died …
    To Absorb the Wrath of God.
    To Please His Heavenly Father.
    To Show His Own Love for Us.

This book is a simple study that draws us closer to Christ and His mission. There are no outrageous or controversial sections; the book is well supported within its pages by supporting Scriptures. It is best read as a devotional, (one purpose a day), to allow time for deeper meditation and reflection.

And very affordable, under $5.

Rob

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bought it recently. No complaints from me. I like it so far.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard John many times when teaching college in Minnesota. Gifted expositor. Solid theologian (in other words, he and I agree on much!!)

While not seeing this little book, I know and trust the author. Pray that the Gospel truth, so sadly lacking in the movie, will be clearly given in the book.