1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Passion of the Christ"

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Precepts, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I just received the following in e-mail with this link:http://www.thepassionofchrist.com/

It stars Mel Gibson and looks like a must see for movie buffs, but also gives a realistic look at Calvary thyan most other "hellywoods" renditions.

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    QS,

I might be interested in seeing this somewhere down the road. If it sticks to a strict biblical script, it should be pretty good. I can imagine, though, that it would have a good deal of graphic violence. Might want to save this one for older folks.

Jason

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

After we saw a clip from it we plan on seeing it. It is straight from the bible and yes very graphic, as was Jesus actual beating and crucifixion. I want to see what they do with the resurection, do they include it.

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I understand your concern, but my concern is that all age groups understand the Gospel. I believe that is the entire reason for the movie.

Ricky Skaggs of Gospel/Country music fame held a private screening with Mel Gibson giving his responses to the viewers.

I only gave the url. I hope anyone with children who might have your concerns to have the parental controls set on thier child's ISP, but the younger a child understands whatJesus went through, the less chance of complacency towards Christ.

The more graphic we make the "penalty" for sin by giving a more vivd picture of Christ's sufferings, the more chance a person has of being saved.

God went to the extremes, and it's time we did also.

I am not denigrating your post, but this is a plea to all, not an open discussion for debate, but if you wish, you are certainly entitled.

I've read many of the tesimonies of those 200 viewers at the private screening and none were of the concern any age group should be omitted from the same opportunity. But since we live in the day of political correctness and the ACLU's effect on rational reasoning, I'm sure the movie will rate the "R" rating due to it's graphic nature, but then nudity and demoralization are given the "G" and "PG" rating at the same time. I wouldn't keep my children from knwoing the real Gospel, and haven't.

Our two oldest, 14 and 11, both have made professions, show fruit, as wellas been instructed in righteouseness. I don't want them "protected" by the "know-it-all" crowd who in turn, most respectively don't know the Lord and are under-informed about the ravages of sin.

Sin did the "graphic" things to Jesus, the sooner one realizes the better wouldn't you say?

I posted the topic with the intention of discussing these aspects to all, not limiting any by age groups. if this is too broad, may I suggest a more limited topic be started.

5. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I am certain they do, but I have only seen the "trailer". If it doesn't it would be demeaning to Christ and wouldn't have had the responses of the 200 privtae viewers of the screening.

Visit the site and see if there is a testimoy section of the filming, I believe there is. From what was sent to me in e-mail had many testimonies and accounts of salvation and healing as well, plus a few rather extraordinary accounts. One being a man on the set struck by lightning twice to only have smoking fingers, another the account of a 2 yr old being healed of deafness and being blind also. I'd have a hard time thinking a 2 yr old could fake that, but measure it out for your selves.

6. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

I’m not sure if they will. From what I’ve heard the movie is only based upon the events leading up to Christ’s crucifixion. Mainly concentrating on the 24 hrs up until His death on the cross. I could be wrong though.

7. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    QS,

I understand what you are saying about the harshness of the penalty of sin, and agree! [​IMG]

Jason

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have been wanting to see this movie for over two months. I'm not sure when it will be released.

I know the Jewish organizations did not want it to be produced and that held up production for awhile. They said it protrayed the Jewish people as barbaric and very cruel...well, according to the Bible, they were!

I believe Mel Gibson is producing and backing it himself to get it on the 'big screen'.

I think this movie will make taking the Lord's Supper more meaningful to a lot of people...

9. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Comes out Feb. 25 this year according to the followng article...

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/...23/155658.shtml

Gibson's 'Passion of Christ' Has Distributor, Debuts Ash Wednesday

The left-wing thought police fought him every step of the way. The major studios refused to touch his new project even though he has made Tinseltown hundreds of millions of dollars. But Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ" will open in America on Feb. 25, Ash Wednesday.

The Oscar-winning director and Newmarket Films announced a deal today to distribute the movie, about the last hours of the life of Jesus Christ.

"The Passion of Christ" stars James Caviezel as Jesus and Monica Bellucci as Mary Magdalene. The dialogue is in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic with English subtitles.

Newmarket, an independent distribution company, specializes in publicizing and securing theaters for such excellent movies as "Memento," "Real Women Have Curves" and "Whale Rider."

Gibson will distribute the film himself through his Icon Productions in the United Kingdom and Australia, the Associated Press reported.

And that high-pitched shriek you hear is the New York Times' Frank Rich tossing his latest temper tantrum.

10. Jill2778

Jill2778 New Member

I would like to see this as well. They are not going to have any English subtitles though, maybe on DVD they will have a English version.

11. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I admit that in my original post I mistakingly said it starred Mel Gibson, but my error.

I hadn't heard anything about it having English subtitles, though. The e-mail sent to me said nothing about it.

I know much of it was filmed in Italy ansd in the "official" website I didn't see anything relating to the transcript being in other languages, but I'll look a little closer.

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

It is not going to have English subtitles???
    Won't that make it a little difficult to understand?

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. No subtitles. It was one of the decisions that made it especially risky.

Why he chose Latin as the third language instead of Koine only makes sense if you know he's of the old school and still celebrates the Mass in Latin.

Those who know the plot, of course, won't have any problem following along. I suspect he's making this film for the faithful alone.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist