1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pastor's Wife

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Do congregations expect to much out of the Pastor's wife. Be by his side all the time, attend all services and events, attend funerals, etc.

On the other hand can a Pastor's wife not recognize the importance of her husband's calling? Be like, oh that's his job, I've got my own.

Is being the wife of a pastor not a calling as well?

The above are serious questions, the below is just for fun. :tongue3:

http://www.larknews.com/archives/348

http://www.larknews.com/archives/241

http://www.larknews.com/archives/28

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife will tell you that she is a pastors wife, not just because she married a pastor, but because she has been called to be one. What she does as a pastors wife is done to answer the call on her life and to to what God has called her to do.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This pretty much parallel's the story of my wife's mother, who said she knew from childhood that someday she would be a preacher's wife.

This, despite the fact that she was engaged to someone who was not a preacher, later married a man who was not a preacher--but who actually surrendered to preach seven years later.

Janice's mother was a great preacher's wife. They complemented each other perfectly.

Janice's dad finished at Southwestern Seminary and accepted a pastorate in Idaho. It was at that church that mother Aileen started playing the piano for church--without ever having a lesson. When Brother Bill retired, she never played again, because the gift wasn't needed anymore.

It's a great story of how God not only calls women to be pastor's wives, but equips them, as well.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I believe it is because of that calling that through the years there have been those who have said she is one of my biggest assets in the ministry.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think some churches expect too much of their pastor's wives but ours doesn't and I'm grateful for that. :) But I knew when I married my husband that he would be in the ministry and I was prepared for that even though it took 18 years for him to enter the ministry! But God called me to his side and as his wife, I am equipped to work alongside him and do work in my own right. I don't play the organ, I can barely carry a tune and I'm not big on watching other people's kids but there are many other things that God has called me to do and challenged me to. It's been an incredible journey!

6. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Thank you for your responses. I tend to agree that it is a calling. And like any other ministry if the Lord is in it, it shouldn't be a burden.

Of the pastors I've set under, one of the wives was the hardest worker I've ever seen, I greatly admired her dedication and love for the congregation. Another pastor's wife had virtually little to do with church activities, in some ways I could understand because I found out later that some of the congregation was very cruel to their family.