1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Peace Symbol"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by wpe3bql, Jul 7, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Beginning in about 1990, I happened to notice that the so-called "Peace Symbol" (i.e., the upside-down "Broken Cross") began to appear on some girls' sweat shirts. This "trend" seems to have continued even to these current years.

Maybe I'm over sensitive about this symbol because I served in the military back in the 1960's, and some people who wore it back then (and not just on clothing) did some terrible things to GI's who were coming home from SEA back then--some of whom were drafted and had very little "say" about having to fight in SEA.

I'm talking about "peace" demonstrators bullying them, spitting in their faces, some even went so far as to kick them and/or start a fight with them as they left port.

Now I realize that these young ladies probably never had a relative who fought over in SEA 20 years prior to their buying an article of clothing that had (usually among other things) on it. Or maybe someone else bought it for them, just thinking, "That's a 'cute' design....She'll like that 'cute' design."

Moreover, maybe she was never told what that symbol meant back in the 1960's - 1970's; that's why I'm not blaming the young ladies themselves for wearing an article of clothing that displays the "Broken Cross" "Peace" Symbol.

OTOH, do you think her parents (or maybe someone else who knows what that symbol means [It wasn't just created by the "Peaceniks," but has a rather long history behind it.]) should "educate" them about this?

Or should we just say nothing at all about it?

What do you think we ought to do when we see a nice girl (to which we may not even be closely related) sporting an article of clothing that displays this "Broken Cross" "Peace" symbol?

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got saved out of a drug culture hippie lifestyle in November of 2011.

the peace symbol is still a symbol of the drug culture.. not much has changed,a lot of girls who begin getting into drugs and fornication wear that symbol today.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, there are two genders.

The students I see that wear them on shirts, buy notebooks with them on the front and who wear short necklaces with a peace sign on it come from both genders and none of the are into fornication or drugs.

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thing to keep in mind is that meanings of symbols change. We often see this in words (which are, essentially, symbols). The "peace sign" would bring associations to a veteran who served in Vietnam that are foreign to latter military servicemen. It may mean one thing to a group of hippies in the 60's, and yet another to teenagers today. The "historical" root of a word, or symbol, or holiday, may not be even close to contemporary usage or meaning. I am not saying that these histories are not interesting, but often they are not applicable.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Nazis? Really?

GotQuestions.org just lost some credibility in my eyes.