1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pendulum stopped swinging When the Apostles Died, Scripture is sufficient.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the recently closed thread false teaching was being offered on the gifts,tongues, revelation....let's see where this error leads to.

From the 1689 Confession of faith;

1._____ The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience, although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and his will which is necessary unto salvation. Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in divers manners to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his church; and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which maketh the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.
    ( 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Isaiah 8:20; Luke 16:29, 31; Ephesians 2:20; Romans 1:19-21; Romans 2:14,15; Psalms 19:1-3; Hebrews 1:1; Proverbs 22:19-21; Romans 15:4; 2 Peter 1:19,20 )

Dude posted this.....

A useless question...that is like asking...show me in scripture where he kept speaking in tongues...it does not address the issue.

Every false teacher suggests a form of this argument...do not give me "your" interpretation of SCRIPTURE...I have my special experience and you do not.....:Cautious

Of course...scripture is set aside...study is mocked as book knowledge....the false experience of the false teacher over rules the historic view of the Church.
    The poster does not say...I serve THE lIVING GOD.....no he says..I serve "a" living God, suggesting perhaps that we do not??? of course....all in Church history were just serving a dead God with book knowledge, I see....:Cautious:(:Cautious

A God that changes is not the Biblical God;
    6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

What God wrote 2000 years ago is valid for us today. False theology leads to false practice as evidenced here.

Fragmented thinking away from scripture to personal musing.....this is the same kind of reasoning I have heard from mormons...saying to me...if you have not experienced the burning in the bosom, you cannot know the book of mormon is true...Nonsense....any burning in the bosom is not going to set aside scripture.

Posters reacting to error is not personal but doctrinal....if you add in personal anecdotal stories, you invite comments and challenge to these stories.

...Nothing is changing...apostasy is part of national judgment

#164righteousdude2, Yesterday at 10:55 PM

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mennosota said

God spoke directly to Nathan;
    7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
    When God speaks to a person it is new revelation...In proverbs there are verses that are repeated...when they are given a second time they are still new revelation,as God gave it.

No one gets any new revelation today, and not since the first century has anyone heard from heaven directly.
    Of course some claim all manner of out of body experiences, and revelations, and secret prayer tongues, but when any such things are posted publically, everyone flees from the reality of what havoc false teachers are doing to hinder the work of God.

3. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I never received your answer regarding Nathan acting as a prophet with David. Did Nathan share a new theological revelation with David or did God simply give him the knowledge that David had sinned?
    Prophesy is not all about foretelling the future. God, at times provides a knowledge of sin that was being hidden from view.
    You seem to be fixated on a form of prophecy that was rarely provided even in ancient Israel.
    In Paul's day, we see others prophesying to Paul that he would suffer greatly if he went to Jerusalem. We see Phillips daughters prophesying.
    All we have as a biblical argument for tongues and prophesy ceasing is 1 Corinthians 13, but there is no indication that Paul was talking about tongues and prophesy ceasing when the canon of scripture was formed. That view is a huge stretch and not contextually supported in 1 Corinthians 13.

What I see in pentacostalism is not biblical prophesy or speaking in tongues so I will not spend a moment supporting a non-biblical use. I will state that God's gifts are fully available for God to share with his children. God has not tied his hands and promised that tongues and prophecy have ceased today. They are not observed in the US, but there is a vast world of unchurched areas where God may very well choose to provide these gifts. And, prophesy, as a forth telling of scripture at a specific time for a specific purpose is prevalent as a gift everywhere that Christians abide.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have rejected any scriptural teaching offered so There is not much to say to you.
    You reject Apostolic uniqueness as far as I can tell....What in your view were signs of the Apostle? like here;
    acts4;

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
    acts5
    9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
    acts14
    3 Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.
    acts27
    1 But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.

22 And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.

23 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,

24 Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.

25 Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.

This is not happening to anyone now.
    The apostles were unique.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God indeed shared with us His work through the apostles. Thank you for sharing what God did.
    What did God do through Phillip? Was he an apostle?
    What did God do through Stephen, was he an apostle? Did God ever use others who were not apostles to prophesy? Did anyone besides the apostles ever speak in tongues?
    All this is recorded in the scriptures. I do not deny any of it. Why do you deny some and not others?
    I am open to biblical evidence proving that tongues and prophesy have ceased. However, you have not provided any. Your argument is based upon what you claim about the early church, yet where is the documentation of what God did in China, India, Pakistan and beyond as the gospel moved forward. Do you imagine that Christianity is a European religion?

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "MennoSota
    With any communication alleged to be from God....

tongues.....did they come from God, or the mans own mind-

prophesy.....did they come from God, or the mans own mind-

dreams.......did they come from God, or the mans own mind-

visions.....did they come from God, or the mans own mind-

If it is from God....it is a new Divine revelation....if it is from man himself...it is not from God at all.
    the content is secondary to the source...God says we are not to add to His word, or takes away....new revelation would be an addition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All the gifts were spoken of as signs of the apostles...from Pentecost forward....Joel's prophecy acts 2/joel 2
    The apostles did not have to personally do every single one, but they were done in their time....
    I showed from 1cor 14 a quote that God gave to Israel in isa.28. that the Apostle said was happening there.
    Do you have any scripture showing that it was for use outside of Israel....?
    What we do have for the world outside of Israel is the word of God, a completed canon of scripture...that was why God credentialed His word by signs and wonders...now that we have it...that is all that is necessary...that is why missionaries go.

You did not comment on Apostolic uniqueness .....let me suggest this to you, or for others who have not considered this.
    God selected them for a special purpose;mk3
    14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:

jn14;
    25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

jn15;
    26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

jn16;

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The Apostles were promised to be guided into All truth...not some, not partial truth...all truth...that is what I believe seals the deal....when scripture is complete ..we have all truth that pertains to life and Godliness

2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

9. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God certainly chooses us all for a special purpose. Paul mentions that there were other apostles beside the twelve.
    You have ignored the other prophets who are mentioned in the New Testament. Not all were from Israel, for Israel.
    You are working hard to establish something that is not biblically supported.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can ignore what was offered if you want to...I think you are not understanding it.
    You were not chosen to be an eyewitness.
    You were not chosen to hear Jesus live.
    You were not chosen to have the Spirit Guide you into all truth.
    You were not chosen to have the Spirit bring to your remembrance all things Jesus spoke.
    Piper and Grudem try and leave the door open, when God has shut it...you can follow them if you desire.
    I did not ignore other prophets...yes I know about Agabus.....
    20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    there were others as it says prophets , plural...but clearly they were foundational by God's design.
    There are no new words or revelation by God today...none...

• Like Like x 1
  11. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am chosen to be adopted by God, just as the apostles were chosen. God has chosen to give me spiritual gifts, as he gave the early disciples and apostles spiritual gifts.
    Do you have a verse that says God only gave the gift of prophesy, tongues and healing to the apostles? I haven't found one, but perhaps you know where it is found.
    What I see in the early church is both Jews and Gentiles being given the spiritual gifts as God willed.
    There is nothing for me to ignore because you do not have any biblical support.
    I think I am in good company with Piper and many others who realize that the perfect one is Jesus and until he returns, God says the gifts have not ceased.

12. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This affirms one of the posts I made in the previous thread. It is never limited to just tongues. To limit the sign gifts to just tongues is intellectual dishonesty. If one gift is in operation, all are in operation. Of course, that presents a bevy of problems for Continualists who try to keep their distance from self-proclaimed Pentecostals and Charismatics. One "private prayer language" person I know admits that he has no scriptural or moral basis for telling Pentecostals/Charismatics that they are wrong. After all, he embraces tongues in his own life. How can he tell others they are wrong and maintain any shred of credibility? He has backed himself into a corner and is going to have to choose which way he is going to go.

How did Jesus and the Apostles approach the gift of healing or casting out demons? They did so freely and indiscriminately. All we know from scripture are the recorded times that Jesus and the Apostles healed. Not every healing or exorcism is recorded, so we can assume with confidence that there more of such miracles. The point? If tongues are in operation, so is healing and exorcism. So, why are not healers walking into ICU units and healing people of all sorts of diseases? Why do missionaries need to attend language training schools? It makes no sense. Just use the gift of tongues and preach the gospel to indigenous people. Just make sure you have an interpreter. Do you see where I am going with this? Let the healing begin! Get these gifts out in the open and start using them. Stop with the obscure "missionary in Borneo" who received the gift of tongues to speak to a tribe no human has ever seen type stuff. Make the gifts verifiable, not hidden. There should be no "buts". Just do it.

OK. So I am being a bit over-the-top, but my point stands. If the gifts are real than they should be evident for all to see. Jesus and the Apostles did not hide their healing. It was done in the open among believers and pagans. I do not see much of that happening today. Until I do I can safely conclude that what passes for the sign gifts is a delusion or outright fraud.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Good...you go with that. I believe this is quite foolish.Your choosing to be adopted is not the same as the Apostles, that is ridiculous. I thought you had a better handle on things.I am not going to answer the rest of this post because I would have to re explain what you cannot see for yourself, because you are not looking .

This shows me you are not even serious here, sorry but this is like a semi pelagian asking about verses dealing with world, all ,and whosoever. Not going there with you....:Cautious

Really...I do not remember that verse.... So there were no signs of the Apostles? Were they just like you and me? sure....you go with that.

Ask Dude about his out of body experience while you are at it...Anyone can claim any gift ...little Girls can see the virgin Mary, or she can appear on a piece of toast at breakfast tommorow...how can you say it will not happen...
    here you go...and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:...do not worry about context...you can just ascribe any meaning to it that you want to.

Joseph Smith was visited by the angel Moroni...can you show a verse that says it did not happen?
    I can....
    Oral Roberts said he saw a 900 ft Jesus..can you show a verse that says he did not see that vision? on what basis can you say he did not see it?
    I can...
    he also said that after a 7-hour conversation...Jesus told him to tell His followers to send in 144 dollars in 12 monthly installments or one lump sum, can you say it did not happen, do you have a verse?
    I can deny it outright, scripturally.
    Oral Roberts tells of talking to 900-foot Jesus

#13 Iconoclast, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  14. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are lifting the apostles above their status. They, like you and me, are sinners who are desperately in need of God's grace. They sinned (see Peter's bigotry against Gentiles), they fought with other brothers (see Paul & Barnabas fight over John Mark), they were...human. Yet, God called them out of sin and commissioned them to go preach the message of reconciliation as ambassadors (the same commission we have). What is different is that God chose to speak through some of the Apostles to add 27 books to the Canon. I am thankful for that. I would have liked to listen to them teach. They had first hand experience with Jesus the King, which would have been great to hear.
    But, none of that has anything to do with whether tongues and prophesy have ceased today. I am still waiting for biblical evidence.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "MennoSota,

( I am still waiting for biblical evidence.)

Some was offered but you cannot see it.....wait....here is an answer for you,,,

Romo Zuma deshiki elivew....conde,ro..ko.moshandi.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "MennoSota,

( I am still waiting for biblical evidence.)

Some was offered but you cannot see it.....wait....here is an answer for you,,,

Romo Zuma deshiki elivew....conde,ro..ko.moshandi.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Share the exact verse and passages. Let me read them and see if you are forcing against context or the context fits with your contention that tongues and prophecy have ceased.
    I do not prophesy, nor speak in tongues so I have no prejudice that demands tongues or prophesy. I just don't see any clear scripture that declares these gifts have already ceased.