1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Pensacola Faction of Fundamentalists Capitulate on Hair

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Jerome, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Public apology, and easing of hair standards for homeschoolers' graduation ceremony from 'A Beka Academy', follows racism accusation from dreadlocked teen's mom:

Abeka Academy released this statement

"Abeka Academy apologizes for the insensitive rule of 'no dreadlocks' in the dress and hair guidelines for our optional homeschool graduation. As a provider of materials and services for homeschool families worldwide, this does not reflect our desire to respect and serve the broad diversity among ABA students. Therefore, we have removed this reference from our requirements."

the Change dot org petition that worked

Latrenda Rush: "There needs to be change! [email protected] not allowing my son to walk across the stage for his high school graduation because of his locs....Racism shines very brightly at Abeka! My son has worked very diligently this year and to get the news that his senior picture shows that he has 'Locs', disqualifies him from marching unless he cuts them...is very inhumane!...Even Samson in the bible had Locs....If the other race can't see where this is a form of Racism then they are part of the problem!....#ColinKaepernick...#naacp"

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again

major on minors and minor on majors

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who supports Colin Kaepernick seems to be outside the bounds of fundamental Christianity. No one wants to foow rules anymore. The world should change to accommodate everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unsure why a home school material provider is having a live graduation?

If they are MORE than just a provider, but an actual "school", then they have the right to set up all rules and parents must agree prior to enrollment. When we had a Christian School in our church, we spelled out in a handbook what standards (whether biblical requirements or practical demands) needed. Parents agreed to dress code, hair code, church code, attendance code, academic/sports code, etc.

Perhaps due diligence was not done ahead of time in this case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never understood why hair is an issue?

ever?

why does it matter if a man’s hair is on his shoulders? Say like Trevor Lawrence?

who determines how long os long?

again, why does it matter?

how does it hinder our relationship w Christ?

how does it hinder others?

mph well, I’m an old fat white guy, no one is going to listen to me

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God said it is a shame for a male to have long hair. Assume that this means "female" hair. No big deal.

Problem is when "I" or some other person says "in my opinion, xxx it too long". Despite my prayers, I am NOT God, and to set a man-made standard is arbitrary. I leave it to God. I played enough of that game with "it's too long if it touches your ear" or "it's too long if it touches your collar" with Christian school kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good example of fundamentalist racism. A beka is simply a curriculum company. To deny a person their diploma because of how they look is pure legalism and in this case, racism. Racism was one of the many reasons I found fundamentalist churches to be bound in legalism and missing grace.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, what we have here is a case of Southern-flavored cultural fundamentalism.

#8 Squire Robertsson, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the day, that was the rule even in my very secular public high school. Now times have changed...

10. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was one of the first to have a full beard back in 1976

I had a tinge of white on each side of my chin. I looked 28

11. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also had hair longer than most and yes, I had a beard so I was going to hell, had “longer hair”, so yes doubly.

THEN, I had a Harley and there was no hope for me. And the leather jacket meant true deprivation

Years later, everyone in my family was like yeah Thanks!! We knew you could and would take the heat for all of that. After I would do it, all of the rest did it since I had broken new ground for everyone.

people say it was rebellion, I say it wasn’t. It was just me being what I wanted at that time.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might can say it's legalism, but racism is not a justified claim.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The obvious one is racism in this specific instance.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. White and Black kids have dread locks. Hair styles in general are dealt with in their dress code. I used to attend, many years ago, a Christian school that used the Abeka curriculum and dress code. Hair length and style was dealt with. Dredlocks were against dress code. Permed hair on man was against dress code. Neither was racist. They cover it all. A racist parent tried to make ithis racist. If you are going to say dreadlock prohibition is racist, you would have to call permed hair on man racist. That was quite popular at the time. Permed back hair on mullet. Neither is racist. It is simply a standard. They do not want long hair on men. They don't want long straight, curly, or kinky hair. They don't want long hair tied up to keep it off collar. They don't want long hair. You want long hair, go somewhere else.
    You just have a rebellious kid and parent, Imposing their rebellion by using the racism allegation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, "a rebellious kid and parent."
    Spoken like a legalist who refuses to admit racism.

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing racist about it. All forms of long hair or artificially curled hair on men are prohibited. Nothing racist there.
    One can have a dress code without being legalist. Saying long hair sends you to hell would be legalism. Saying we don't want long hair at this school is a preference. If you want long hair, go somewhere else. The public school I attended prohibited hair below collar for all athletes. Guess they were legalist and racist?
    I have no idea why you so consistently condone rebellion.

#16 Reynolds, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you claim rebellion let's be clear you are referring to rebelling against the legalism and racism of A Beka.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion that this is the rebellion against "racism". Not a fact, but we all have opinions. Perhaps reading what Reynolds actually said (the hair style was common on ALL students of any ethnicity, NOT racially instigated).

It is rebellion against man-made rules and that ALONE is the issue. Rebellion in like the sin of witchcraft. Arbitrary throwing the "race card" into the mix when it is NOT the focus here allows deflection from the real issue (rebellion).

Failure to understand that only weakens the issue of "hair rules" in a school or organization. And makes the one continuing to repeat that shows much of your character and agenda.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful Dr. You are spouting way too much common sense for some of the folks on here!!
    Gonna give them panic attacks if you persist!!:eek::Rolleyes

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not rebellion. ABeka is merely a textbook company. They can make suggestions on how to teach their curriculum, but they have no say in what people must look like in order to have a person complete their curriculum. The reason ABeka backed off is because they knew they would not only be sued in the court of law, but they would lose this lawsuit in spectacular fashion.
    They got called out for their racist rules and terrible legalism and they made an about face to not lose money. They were about to be exposed and they are now playing a game to keep from having people drop their curriculum like a bad habit.

There were a couple years, a long time ago, when I had to use ABeka curricula. It was awful stuff. I was glad to be rid of using it. Even then I noted its racist undercurrent.

At some point ABeka needed to be confronted with the legalism and racism within its organization. This is a moment of confrontation and ABeka is running away with its tail between its legs.
    Perhaps God will break its pride even more before the organization repents of its behavior.