1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pentagon "Lost" $2.3T in One Year under Rumsfielf

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by alatide, Oct 5, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a Bush hater beating his drum.

2. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

No fair!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't have enough drugs to go around, then keep your trips to yourself!
    Go to bed little girl.

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

It was not lost or stolen during 2001.

Rumsfeld spoke about cutting government waste, the need to streamline accounting systems, and he referenced a report that had been released the previous year.

In part: "Our financial systems are decades old. According to some estimates, we can we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions. We cannot share information from floor to floor in this building because it's stored on dozens of technological systems that are inaccessible or incompatible."

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thanks NiteShift for providing a rational explanation to the irrational OP!

5. targus

targus New Member

A little "alatide" in the morning never fails to get my day started with a laugh. :laugh:

6. OldRegular

"whoever" completely misrepresented the information on the Pentagon funding, making it appear that Rumsfield was responsible. Pathetic!

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I wonder how long before alatide responds to this rational information?

Methinks we'll be hearing lots of crickets...

8. alatide

alatide New Member

If you don't care about $2.3T "misplaced" at the Pentagon, why do you care about the national debt? I really wasn't making a statement about Rumsfield, I was making a statement about the pentagon. I interpreted what was said in the questioning of Rumsfield that that money had been lost in one year. Maybe I got that wrong. I do know they were talking about misplacing $2.3T. do you think that's acceptable?

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

alatide,

Careful. Rapid backpedaling is the third-leading cause of sprained ankles in the USA.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rbell sez:
    Not to worry, he's had LOT'S of practice, ergo, very strong ankles!!:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

11. alatide

alatide New Member

Is there any content here? I can't find it.

12. alatide

alatide New Member

Rumsfield was testifying about $2.3T that had somehow disappeared and he couldn't determine what it had been spent on. Did you listen to his testimony on the link I provided? I don't think so opr you wouldn't be so misinformed.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, it is not acceptable if your premise was correct, which as usual it is not, as evidenced by the many other postings in this thread. What makes your post so outrageous is that you harp on the money Rumsfeld testified about several years ago, but give a blind eye to the reckless spending going on in the government right now by the idiots both you and those who think like you elected.

14. alatide

alatide New Member

DO YOU CARE ABOUT THE PENTAGON NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND $2.3T? Evidently not. That's more than the current year's budget deficit you know. That's only as large as it is because of the Bush administration's criminal mishandling of our economy.

15. OldRegular

The collage on You Tube was obviously pieced together to propagate a lie about Rumsfield. You are not sufficiently naive or ignorant to believe that piece, therefore, you also propagated a lie about Rumsfield. That is unless you can show how the Pentagon could lose more money in 8 months than the entire Federal budget for that year.

Also recall that in your OP you implied that $2.3 trillion with a T had been laundered under Rumsfield. Big washing machine!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. OldRegular

You see "whoever", it all comes down to your pathological hatred of President Bush. George Bush was something that your "chosen one" can never be, President. Obama occupies the office but he is like a fish out of water, slowly suffocating.

17. alatide

alatide New Member

Here is the CBS News report of the Misplaced trillions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 29, 2002
    The War on Waste
    Defense Department Cannot Account For 25% of Funds — $2.3 Trillion

http://[B]www.cbsnews.com[/B]/stories/2002/01/29/eveningnews/main325985.shtml

(CBS) On Sept. 10, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war. Not on foreign terrorists, "the adversary's closer to home. It's the Pentagon bureaucracy," he said.

He said money wasted by the military poses a serious threat.

"In fact, it could be said it's a matter of life and death," he said.

Rumsfeld promised change but the next day – Sept. 11-- the world changed and in the rush to fund the war on terrorism, the war on waste seems to have been forgotten.

Just last week President Bush announced, "My 2003 budget calls for more than $48 billion in new defense spending."

More money for the Pentagon, CBS News Correspondent Vince Gonzales reports, while its own auditors admit the military cannot account for 25 percent of what it spends.

"According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions," Rumsfeld admitted.

$2.3 trillion — that's $8,000 for every man, woman and child in America. To understand how the Pentagon can lose track of trillions, consider the case of one military accountant who tried to find out what happened to a mere $300 million.

"We know it's gone. But we don't know what they spent it on," said Jim Minnery, Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

Minnery, a former Marine turned whistle-blower, is risking his job by speaking out for the first time about the millions he noticed were missing from one defense agency's balance sheets. Minnery tried to follow the money trail, even crisscrossing the country looking for records.

"The director looked at me and said 'Why do you care about this stuff?' It took me aback, you know? My supervisor asking me why I care about doing a good job," said Minnery.

He was reassigned and says officials then covered up the problem by just writing it off.

"They have to cover it up," he said. "That's where the corruption comes in. They have to cover up the fact that they can't do the job."

The Pentagon's Inspector General "partially substantiated" several of Minnery's allegations but could not prove officials tried "to manipulate the financial statements."

Twenty years ago, Department of Defense Analyst Franklin C. Spinney made headlines exposing what he calls the "accounting games." He's still there, and although he does not speak for the Pentagon, he believes the problem has gotten worse.

"Those numbers are pie in the sky. The books are cooked routinely year after year," he said.

Another critic of Pentagon waste, Retired Vice Admiral Jack Shanahan, commanded the Navy's 2nd Fleet the first time Donald Rumsfeld served as Defense Secretary, in 1976.

In his opinion, "With good financial oversight we could find $48 billion in loose change in that building, without having to hit the taxpayers."

18. alatide

alatide New Member

This is the transcript of a speech Rumsfield made on waste in the Pentagon. The occasion was:

DOD Acquisition and Logistics Excellence Week Kickoff—Bureaucracy to Battlefield

Remarks as Delivered by Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, The Pentagon , Monday, September 10, 2001

It's on the Dept. of Defense web site at:

http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=430

In the speech Rumsfield says:

The technology revolution has transformed organizations across the private sector, but not ours, not fully, not yet. We are, as they say, tangled in our anchor chain. Our financial systems are decades old. According to some estimates, we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions. We cannot share information from floor to floor in this building because it's stored on dozens of technological systems that are inaccessible or incompatible.

It's about half way through the speech.

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I did listen to it and wondered if you had. Otherwise you might not have said "...I'm talking about somebody absconding with 20-25% of the national debt!" Because Rumsfeld said nothing of the sort.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Judging from your latest posts, you chose not to backpedal...rather, you are plowing ahead, ignoring the facts presented to you.

Not exactly the brightest maneuver, but one that is expected.