1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pilgrims and Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the site www.nohoax.com listed under the link “Geneva Bible: The Bible of the Pilgrims” I found the following statements:

“Now available for the first time in 394 years, this is the Bible the Pilgrims carried when they landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620. The Puritans of that era considered the King James bible a “government issue” publication. King James banned the Geneva Bible in England and made its ownership a felony.”

... it really makes no difference to me what Bible William Bradford used or any of the Pilgrims for that matter. However, when I find certain individuals purposely covering the facts or intentionally lying about history I take exception to that. I am not accusing this man of doing that but other

“The Geneva Bible was the first Bible taken to America, brought over on the Mayflower… it is the Bible upon which early America and its government was founded (certainly not the King’s of England’s Bible!) The Geneva Bible was also the first English Bible to break the chapters of scripture into numbered verses, and it was the first true “Study Bible” offering extensive commentary notes in the margins. It was so accurate and popular, that a half-century later, when the King James Bible came out… it retained more than 90% of the exact wording of the Geneva Bible.”

Quotes from this link:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A museum being "reasonably sure" that a KJV was on the Mayflower would not establish it to be a verifiable fact. No evidence for being "reasonably sure" is presented. Some may claim to be reasonably sure based on assumption instead of verifiable fact.

Perhaps it was on the Mayflower and perhaps it could have been obtained years later. Even if a man at some point owned a KJV, it would not prove whether he had it with him on the Mayflower or whether he obtained it later.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty you better check you resources on the first one... This what I got when I clicked it... CBD & Hemp Resource Articles For Dogs and Cats:oops:... The other one works OK... Brother Glen:)