1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Poetry Corner

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by tyndale1946, Nov 26, 2020.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as I have been on this board I have never seen a Poetry Corner, so I'm going to start one... I'm sure in each and everyone of us, their is a poet, trying to get out... So feel free to post yours and if this catches on maybe the Baptist Board, will have a permanent one... Here is one of mine from 16 years ago, a fun whimsical one, many on here will relate too... Brother Glen:)

I'm A Kid Again

Run... Slide... Surprise!
    Tag!... You're it!
    Jump... Leap... Hide and go seek
    Count to ten
    You can't find me...
    I'm invisible!
    Fly... Spin... I'm dizzzzzy
    London Bridges falling down
    The worlds upside down
    Leapfrog... Somersault... Cartwheeeel
    Leap to the sky
    I'm Superman!
    Green light!... Red light!
    Freeze!... I'm a statue!

Mother may I take three steps
    You may!
    Can I take three more
    Gotcha!
    Red rover... red rover
    Duck... duck... duck... Gooooose!
    Tag you're it!
    Jump rope... Hula Hoop... Frissssbeeee!
    Wham-O!... Slip and slide...
    Water balloons...
    Last one in is a rotten egg?
    Cannonball!
    Wheelbarrow... Airplane... Wheeeee... I'm dizzzzzy
    Blowing bubbles... Bouncing balls
    I'm dancing!

This is my dolly
    Let's play house
    Hot wheels... Tonka trucks
    Build up!... Tear down
    Sandcastles
    Grrrrrr... I'm a monster
    Gotcha!
    I killed the fire breathing dragon
    My Hero!
    Make believe...
    I'm Peter Pan
    I'm magic...
    I'm a kid again...
    TAG!... YOU'RE IT!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hands That Make A Quilt

Hands that make a quilt are godly hands because they are diligent,

God says in His word that the hands of the diligent maketh rich

Shall bear rule and are satisfied.[1] The substance of the diligent hands are precious.[2]

Hands that make a quilt are godly hands because they are faithful,

God so lovingly tells us that His eyes are over the faithful of the land[3]

And He preserves them[4], and they shall abound with blessings.[5]

Hands that make a quilt are godly hands because they are patient.

God’s word warns us that a patient hand is better than a proud hand.[6] A patient hand that continues in well doing seeks eternal life.[7]

A patient hand is steadfast until the coming of the Lord.[8]

Hands that make a quilt are godly hands because they show the love of God.

God’s word tells us that love is of God and all who loves knows Him.[9]

Just as the sacrifice of time, strength, and thought made of the that that goes into a quilt, God also sacrificed His Son that made up the love that goes into eternal life.

[1] Proverbs 10:4, 12:24, 13:4

[2] Proverbs 12:27

[3] Psalm 31:23

[4] Psalm 101:6

[5] Proverbs 28:10

[6] Ecclesiastes 7:8

[7] Romans 2:7

[8] James 5:7-8

[9] I John 4:7

Pastor Mark A. Mitchell
    Copyright 2004

#2 Revmitchell, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Riding for the Brand

In a world today filled with chaos and disarray, we need to be riding for the brand and learning to pray.

In the old west everyone new the importance of a brand. It was the mark a rancher used to burn on his stock out on the open land.

The term “riding for the brand” was an expression of loyalty to a man’s employer.It was a compliment of the highest order.

Christians should be riding for the “Two-One-Two” brand. In order to stand tall across the land.

The Two-One-Two” brand is very direct and to the point. It signifies tow nailed scared hands, one spear in His side, and two more nailed scars in His feet.

And this was done so that you and me He could anoint.

Riding for the brand is of the highest calling, for it signifies the name of the Lord who’s love is unfalling.

When Christians begin to understand the privilege and responsibility of the wearing of the Lord’s brand. They will give it nothing less than their best and spread it across the land.

So the next time you face a situation that tempts you to compromise, take a stand for the brand and fight Satan and his lies.

It’s not easy and its not always fun, but Riding for the Brand is what we owe God’s only Son.

Pastor Mark Mitchell

Copyright 1994

• Like Like x 1
  4. Charles Perkins

Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Look forward to what you poets have to share.
    My poet
    I don't know it
    Though I care, I struggle to care

LOL :)

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

In Yellowstone Park, where millions go yearly,
    The attractions are many and vast.
    The geysers and bears are looked on so dearly
    That others are too quickly passed.

The canyons and cliffs and rivers and falls
    Are crowded with sightseers, too.
    But in a lesser known basin with no canyon walls
    Lies a vista of most calming blue.

Northwest of Old Faithful, along Firehole River,
    It’s seething, yet looks very cool.
    Its most pleasant hue to your senses deliver—
    The most regal Sapphire Pool.

To stand by its side and look over its glow
    Is a treasure its name so implies.
    Just strolling and gazing, its beauty will grow,
    And your love of the color will rise.

By its calming effect you can hardly conceive
    That the water could cook your next meal.
    Such gentle deception, we like to believe,
    Is Nature’s reminder and seal.

So if you vacation within this great nation
    Remember the lesser known sites.
    Even short occupation of such a sensation
    Is a jewel among memory’s delights.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Daughters Eve'n

O Hushhhhh, ye Daughters Eve'n -- Now come!, Draw close., Now closer 'till,
    gathering 'round about Me, being reverent, finding quiet – still …​

Now well hearken to My prudent words, to the silver-aged counsel of thy Mother – “Wisdom - wise”;
    Take stock., Be sure. Seeing alway, that ye are ne'er sage, not clean, nor righteous, “in thine own eyes”.​

For all such vainglory is e'er unbecoming; yet now mindfully keep foremost the one encompassing, yea, all-important thing,
    'tis that Christ Jesus, upon the cross, died for precious you – Wonder and Marvel! at such unfathomable love that God has toward the sinful being.​

Behold now your Saviour - the Lamb Victorious!!!, Conqueror over the foul dominion of Satan – sin, selfishness - death and the grave;
    Amidst innumerable angelic throngs, ascended to the Holy Hill, His Father on High, whom it was to the world forever, His Son, He gave.​

O, ye shoots of Miriam, take up in thine instruments the Redeeming strain! sing praises, hallelujahs and amens, praying for His Kingdom come;
    for thine own triumph is also assured when thy heart is submitted to His, saying, “God, thy will be done.”​

Faithful Children -- Now careful!, Be watchful., lest ye soon forget to heed the Spirit that ye ought “Remember, Lot's Wife”, that pillar of salt;
    so therefore, keep close the promises of God, who being utmost able to present thee before His throne - without fault.​

So, take up thy Bible, thy daily duties, thy church family, thy husband, thy children, with prayer;
    lifting up thy voice unto God, e'er with cheerfulness, thanksgiving, compassion and care.​

I charge thee now beloved, most sacredly solemn, that ye keep to the Way, cease not also in Jesus to believe in;
    ...Yea, take the time to remember that ye are His… Daughters Eve'n.​

Acting Version for others (children (girls), youth (girls), women (adults), etc):

[The Oral Recitation] Daughters Eve'n

[smooth voice, one of the Lord's peace, tone of reverence, prayerful motherhood's rule of her children]

O Hushhhhh [draw out the “sh”], ye Daughters Eve'n -- Now come! [now, motioning as a mother to children], Draw close. [as a mother hen gathers her children about her, speaking as of great importance/significance is about to be said], Now closer 'till [motion, to come even closer, that the attention may be fixated upon one goal of listening], gathering 'round about Me, [look to and address left-side audience] being reverent, [pause] [look to and address right-side audience] finding quiet [pause, holding up hand to cease action][look to and address center audience] still ...

Now well hearken to My prudent words, to the silver-aged counsel of mother – “Wisdom - wise”;
    [Serious, yet firm, but gentle] Take stock., [Admonishing as a mother cares, positively with single finger wave to all audience] Be sure. [woefully shake head side to side, as if thinking of such a particular foolish one] Seeing alway, that ye are ne'er sage, not clean, nor righteous, “in thine own eyes” …

For all such vainglory is e'er unbecoming; [lean in while speaking, for the greatest secret of life is to be made known] yet now mindfully keep foremost the one encompassing, yea, all-important thing, [solemnly, looking and pointing upwards at the Heavens] 'tis that Christ Jesus, [serious importance, pause] upon the cross, died for precious you – [stunned!!!] Wonder and Marvel! [let this thought sink in] at such unfathomable love that God has toward the sinful being.

[Triumphant voice of God's Wisdom over men's] Behold now your Saviour - the Lamb Victorious!!!, [Joyous voice, recounting a great and mighty deliverance] Conqueror over the foul dominion of Satan – sin, selfishness - death and the grave; [Looking upwards and pointing to the Heavens with your hands] Amidst innumerable angelic throngs, ascended to the Holy Hill, His Father on High, [precious voice, tender and awe at something we will never fully fathom, even in eternity] whom it was to the world forever, His Son, He gave.

[Mothers's firm and joyous command] O, ye shoots of Miriam, take up in thine instruments the Redeeming strain! sing praises, hallelujahs and amens, [hands of prayer] praying for His Kingdom come; [pointing to the women audience] for thine own triumph is also assured when [pointing to your heart] thy heart is submitted to His, saying, [looking upward] “God, thy will be done.”

[Gentle, kind voice of concern] Faithful Children – [cautious of danger] Now careful!, Be watchful., lest ye soon forget to heed the Spirit that ye ought “Remember, Lot's Wife”, [sadness of a daughter lost, mournful] that pillar of salt; [back to reasoning with the will of children] so therefore, keep close the promises of God, [promises assured, He cannot fail, cannot lie, confirmed by two immutable things] who being utmost able to present thee before His throne - without fault.

[Time to get to the work of the Lord, Finish the work] So, [holding up the Bible] take up thy [KJB; :) ] Bible, thy daily duties, thy church family, thy husband, thy children, with prayer; [cheerfulness] lifting up thy voice unto God, e'er with cheerfulness, thanksgiving, compassion and care.

[Solemnly charging a sacred duty, the Commission from God/Jesus] I charge thee now beloved, most sacredly solemn, that ye keep to the Way, cease not also in Jesus to believe in; ...Yea [pause], take the time to remember that ye are His… Daughters Eve'n.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Thanksgiving Irish Blessing:

May there always be work, for your hands to do,
    may your purse always hold a coin or two,
    may the sun always shine on your windowpane,
    may a rainbow be certain to follow each rain,
    may the hand of a friend always be near you,
    may God fill your heart with gladness, to cheer you.

• Like Like x 1