1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The poor don't have it so bad.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Robert Snow, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Jas 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
    Jas 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

But, this also applies:

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

I believe we should help the poor, but not the lazy.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG]

Snow & I agree!

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. So, if you're such a "Bible believing, scripture touting Christian" when it comes to the poor, then why don't you believe we should follow 2 Thess 3:10? Why don't you believe we should be good stewards in how we give of our money and our resources and our time in helping the poor? Why don't you believe the Bible's teaching that there is an order we are to follow when helping the poor? Why don't you believe the Bible's teaching about self-sufficiency or the book of Proverbs' teaching that poverty is the result of bad character?

Sorry, but this idea of yours that we're just supposed to throw money at anyone who appears to be poor without holding them accountable or expecting anything in return is precisely the opposite of a "Bible believing, scripture touting Christian".

What's more, your insistence that we're under an obligation to do so as Christians is works-righteousness and legalism.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've shared this many times, but I spent years as a social worker. I worked in some of the poorest parts of Appalachia.

Half of the homes I visited, who all complained about how poor they were, had satellite dishes and bass boats in the yard and many of those who complained about not having any food were grossly obese.

I actually had one guy ask me if I could expidite his check because he wanted to take his girlfriend to an amusement park.

Now, my wife and I use our skills and experiences (she as a forensic accountant, me as a former social worker and currently a businessmen) to help run the three rescue missions our church operates.

I can't tell you how many families have come to us for help because they're up to their eyeballs in debt and claiming they were poor, but were living in huge houses, driving two cars, have the latest electronics, etc.

Just this past week, there was an article in the USA Today about the growing number of people who are refusing to go to work because they would rather collect the welfare and unemployment checks for doing nothing.

None of this is to say that there are not bona fide poor people who are poor for reasons beyond their control and legitimately need help, but they're very few and far between.

Frankly, unless you're elderly or an invalid, there's no excuse for you not to be doing something.

Finally, every time someone tells me how bad the "poor" here have it, I always have to laugh and think about staying with my friends in Holland. Their apartment is tiny and smaller and more spartan than what we would call a studio apartment here. They have no car and no air conditioning and yet, they're considered upper middle-class.

I still contend that if you took some of the real poor people and swapped their situation with many of the alleged poor here in America, they'd think they'd died and gone to Heaven.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Half the people who apply for food stamps are on welfare for less than a year and the other half are on welfare for a lifetime. How should welfare personnel and the law determine before the fact which sort of person is making the application?

After a person spends 5 or 10 years on welfare does not the psychological conditioning of the experience cause them to be mentally disabled and unfit for the normal work experience? Just asking. I'm not a shrink.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

You need to read Luke 6:20 this time....I don't see any mention of spirit in Luke.

you might even like to go further & read the Lords pronouncement of those who are Rich. Sorry no rich in spirit with Luke. Just tellin it like it is.

Sorry my friend, but I don't proof text the Word of God. Context is key. Luke is not going to contradict Matthew. They must be interpreted in light of each other. They cannot not stand alone. Otherwise we get false a interpretation, like yours, designed to fit an agenda.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is why do some stay on govt programs - is it a reason or an excuse?
    As to not hijack this OP, I have started a new thread. Click here
    (by doing so, you will loose your unemployment :tonofbricks: :laugh:)

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that case, I decline. ;)

Sounds like work to me.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know Johney boy, your absolutely right. How dare I be soft about this & actually impose my weak thinking upon you .... guess I was just imposing my sentimentality on you. A truly strong man is never sentimental. he never considers others. he never fights for others. He considers & fights only for himself. All the rest is weakness. What was I thinking?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow Sag....you are my type of Christian Pastor you are....LOL; None of that Christian charity in your church I'll bet. No Sir. I can hear your sermons now when someone comes around to beggin.....wouldn't trust a psalm-singer or a beggar with a dollar either, no sir. They'd eat you alive, come they had the chance. Yes your my kinda preacher man you are ; "yippee-yo-kai-aaaaaa"! LOL!!! :love2::thumbs:

#50 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  11. rbell

rbell Active Member

E,W, & F:

Profanity??? Come on, now, this is a Christian board.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rbell......now let me stop laughing here a moment. OK now what profanity? Ever been in the marine corps son or worked construction? Probably not. Ahhhh, gee sorry if Ive offended anyone by my bad language.....Gee Wizzzzz.... I will try harder next time.....OK?:smilewinkgrin:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So the believer is supposed to be like the unsaved world? We're supposed to embrace and accept what they do and do it ourselves? OK - I didn't know that.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you accusing me of being a sinner? If you are then you win the stuffed monkey......(I am a sinner). now perhaps your not but I dont know you nor do I care too. OK?:BangHead:

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you are justifying your sin. Not a good thing, is it?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann I like sin, love it in fact.....guess thats my sinful nature coming through even through sanctification. Now we can argue that its not good but Ive really prospered by it with all my ill gotten gains & worked hard for years to obtain it by whatever means necessary, LOL! Ive become wealthy, powerful, educated because of it & Ive helped lots of people who would not have made it without my assistance so I am wondering why I should suppress it. & If I do, I wont be able to hire those unemployed who need jobs so maybe it is a good thing. Oh, wow is me! What am I to do?

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He/She sent me a PM cursing at me.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    --------------------------------------

Entire post removed----------EW & F Consider yourself warned---threats and insults will not be tolerated

blackbird

#58 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in the US Army - for many years. And even as an NCO, I never had the "need" to lower my standards for language that only brings out an individuals contempt for decency.
    Being a Christian in the world is similar to a ship in the ocean.
    There is no problem when the ship is in the sea, but there is a big problem when the sea gets in the ship.

Sgt Salty

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Sarge.....What do you consider bad language anyway.....Clarify that for poor miserable worldly sinner will ya.