1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Power of the Devil

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that the Devil has much power
    Cor states he is the "god of this world"

We know he loves to hit us at our weak point
    So:
    does the Devil have the power to read our mind?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is absolutely totally sovereign. Therefore, Satan can only do what God has ordained that he will do. So any "reading of minds" that Satan can do, if any at all, would only be because God had already ordained it.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If yes, we need to commit whatever one chooses to do to God. Proverbs 16:3, James 4:7.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, I agree with you - but I dont think Scripture states it one way or the other
    So, I suppose we have to speculate a bit!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no speculation. Either God is absolutely totally sovereign or else there is another entity/entities that has/have a certain amount of sovereignty that God does not control and exercise. I rejoice in the former; I would shudder today if I thought the latter was true.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can blind minds:

4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. 2 Cor 4

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but that is not an issue for those who are living in the power of the Spirit.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Scripture would you base that on

Are you saying that a Christian fully living for the Lord - will not be tempted by the Devil?

9. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The devil is a being outside of our dimension, on the same level as an angel. I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

I don't think he needs to though. He can stick a naked woman in front of a man, or stick a million dollars in from of a man, or do any number of things and he'll know what we're all wrestling with.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's the case of Ananias and Sapphira his wife. ". . . why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie . . . ."
    2 Corinthians 5:7' ". . . For we walk by faith, not by | appearance | . . . .". [1 Thessalonians 5:22]

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he does not, and Jesus is ruling with a rod of iron.

12. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if God, who I agree is sovereign, has as you say ordained all the Satan can do then what ever sinful thing that Satan does is only because God has caused him to do it? Would your view not require God to be the actual sinner? As far as Satan being able to read minds, NO. He can influence what people do but that's it.

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no explicit scripture, it stands to reason that thoughts can be known, especially since it occurs in human relationships.

No, not at all.

Among those that hold to the premise that “the devil can’t read our minds,” is the idea that if he could, we would be ‘defenseless’ before the devil. The reality is that we are defenseless without God, but have authority over the evil one in the Spirit.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most people open up their mouth and tell him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Among those that hold to the premise that “the devil can’t read our minds,” is the idea that if he could, we would be ‘defenseless’ before the devil."

That is an assumption on your part, you may think that way but why say all think as you do. I for one do not. I just do not think that is something that he can do. As far as your understanding or guessing what someone is thinking well if you have been married for any length of time it seems like the spouse can read your mind, but they really can not. And by times that's a good thing. :Biggrin

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

"All things are decided and caused by God – nothing is free from his control, and he has not chosen to forego his control on anything. The doctrine is repulsive to those who abhor the rule and honor of God, and so they oppose it. But the doctrine is a source of comfort and celebration to those who love him. Why would we want it any other way, than for God to rule over all things? And what better life can we wish for, than to be ruled by God?

The doctrine contradicts the religious tradition that God does not decree evil or that he does not cause evil. Of course God does not make decrees against his other decrees. Since God is not insane, he has only one will, one desire. However, there is no problem for him to issue a decree that causes his creatures to violate his precepts. Whereas decrees are declarations of intentions about things that he would cause to happen, precepts are declarations of definitions, not intentions, and do not overlap with the decrees. It must be true that God decrees and causes events that are contrary to his precepts; otherwise, there could be no evil, but there is indeed evil."

- Vincent Cheung, Systematic Theology

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not expect a HYPER CALVINIST like Cheung to think anything else. So since you seem to agree with him does that mean you are a hypercal also?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a supralapsarian.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job 2:10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nice but are you Hyper Cal or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.