1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pre-95 NASB Used TR

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why are you being deceitful?

In the NIV for Mark 16, verses 1-8 are in regular font. Then there is a clear line sectioning of what is below. Below the line in smaller and non-standard print are verses 9-20. There is also a notice:[The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have verses 9-20.]

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really?

My hard bound doesn't include anything but a footnote at the end.

But then why would a scholar such as yourself, rely upon less than the closest word for word translation that does take English grammar into account.

The NIV isn't as close to the originals as even the KJV is, yet so many want it or the ESV to be their final authority.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no evidence for it. It seems far more likely to me that the early copyists, who would not have been professional until the 4th Century, missed out words and phrases. Most of these were caught and the copies destroyed, but a few have got through.

No. Why should it. When I studied textual criticism at university, almost all the earliest secular MSS were dated 7-800 or more years after the autographs. It never worried anyone. A 6th or 10th Century MS may have been copied directly from a 2nd Century one. Or it may have been faithfully copied fifty times while the 4th Century document may have been badly copied once. Who knows? What I would look for in a reliable MS is one that has a lot of others very similar to it. That suggests that it is a faithful copy.

How do you judge quality? I judge it by the approval of its peers. When I see a 6th or 7th Century MS which is similar to many 9th and 10th Century ones, I know that the earlier ones had the confidence of the people of the time who therefore trusted it enough to copy it. Inferior MSS like Sinaiticus and Vaticanus would not have been copied nearly so much.

That is true, but it applies to the 4th Century just as much as the 6th.

I do not expect to see very old copies. I would expect a Bible to be used, passed around and, when it is worn out, copied and discarded. Really old copies are only going to be found in Egypt, because the dry atmosphere preserves the material better. A 4th Century MS produced in Britain would have rotted away hundreds of years ago. But why have these old copies like Sinaiticus and Vaticanus not been used to destruction and hundreds of copies made of them? Because they were bad products and therefore not used but discarded and have survived because of the dry atmosphere..

I have covered this above. If the 16th Century MS is a faithful copy of what has gone before, then what's your problem? It is evident that the errors in the MSS occurred early- in the 2nd and 3rd Centuries. It is true that when one sees an interpolation in a very few late MSS- the Johannine Comma for example- one has to be very careful, but by and large, the Byzantine MSS have been faithfully copied.

BTW, it is said that no two Byzantine Text MSS are identical. Pickering disputes this. He claims to have a number of copies that are exactly the same. Obviously, I don't know the truth of this, but it can be easily checked. I don't imagine that Pickering would lie for that very reason.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, really. It's right in front of me.
    Perhaps you are looking at a 1984 edition. When I say NIV it's taken for granted that it is the latest edition --2011.
    I am not, and have never said such a thing.
    If you really want a word-for-word "translation, get an interlinear.
    Are you kidding? The NIV, (if you are specifically speaking of the NT)is based on the earlier documents --not the much later ones the TR is based upon.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is clear that later scribes did their best to "correct" what they thought were weaknesses in their exemplars. They wanted to nudge things along so that's what accounts for their harmonizations,interpolations and enhancements.
    That claim is laughable.
    Well,you have been making your fair share of pronouncements. Apparently you are in-the-know.
    Or it could suggest just the opposite --a poor copy has been dupicated hundreds of times.

You call them inferior. I call them superior and very valuable --as does nearly every Bible scholar.

I have no problem if a 16th century MSS was a faithful copy of faithful copies of the original. But most late copies in the Byzantine tradition --though generally very orthodox do have a number of additions that were inserted along the transmission line.

There some faithful MSS that are solid, such as Minuscule 1739 of the tenth century. Research has shown that it actually dates back to a very early exemplar.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hort on "counting noses."
    (Brooke Foss Westcott and Fenton John Anthony Hort, The New Testament in the Original Greek, 2 vols. (London: Macmillan, 1881), 2:45.)

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always fun to dig up long-dead threads just to slam 'in your face" to other posters.

Want to take some out behind the woodshed.

BTW, you call a brother a "liar" and you will get flagged. Enough times, and you will be outside looking in the window of the BB. :BangHead:

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I seldom agree with Agedman, but he is spot on!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the NIV. When reference is made to the NIV I will assume it is the current edition (which incidentally is the #1 selling Bible translation). When reference is made to the NLT it should automatically be assumed that it is speaking of the current one --not the 2004 or 1996 editions. When reference is made to the NASB it would automatically be assumed that one is speaking of the current edition --not the pre-95 ones. The same thing applies to any other version --the current one is in view.

But even the 1984 edition of the NIV has a clear line of demarcation after verse 8 with a note below, and then verses 9-20 below that.

There is no deception going on --that is an immature statement.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC: Would you mind giving a fuller quote than the one you supplied? Context would be helpful. Hort knew, even in his time, that there were more Byzantine texts extant than Alexandrian or Western ones. So the way you have just Hort's lone sentence seems puzzling.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't access the site. Could you please type out the sentence before and the sentence after the quote?

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    B. Genealogy and Number (p 1.43)

IRRELEVANCE OF NUMBER APART FROM GENEALOGY

57. Except where some one particular corruption was so obvious and tempting that an unusual number of scribes might fall into it independently, a few documents are not, by reason of their mere paucity, appreciably less likely to be right than a multitude opposed to them, As soon as the numbers of a minority exceed what can be explained by accidental coincidence, so that their agreement in error, If it be error, can only be explained on genealogical grounds, we have thereby passed beyond purely numerical relations, and the necessity of examining the genealogy of both minority and majority has become apparent. A theoretical presumption indeed remains that a majority of extant documents in more likely to represent a majority of ancestral documents at each stage of transmission that vice versa. But the presumption is too minute to weigh against the smallest tangible evidence of other kinds. Experience verifies what might have been anticipated from the incalculable and fortuitous complexity of the causes here at work. At each stage of transmission the number of copies made from each MS depends on extraneous conditions, and varies irregularly from zero upwards: and when further the infinite variability of chances of preservation to a future age is taken into account, every ground for expecting a priori any sort of correspondence of numerical proportion between existing documents and their less numerous ancestors in any one age falls to the ground. This is true even in the absence of mixture; and mixture, as will be shown presently (§§ 61,76) does but multiply the uncertainty. For all practical purposes the rival probabilities represented by relative number of attesting documents must be treated as incommensurable.
    Introduction to the New Testament in the Original Greek 1.45,46

#33 Deacon, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    900 is definitely a very large number of mss. Furthermore, you say that "not all 6,000 MSS contain the complete Gospel of John." This is misleading. The large majority of the mss do not, not just "not all."

The NKJV note is quite inadequate. There are actually 1495 continuous text mss with the PA, and only 268 lacking it. That's 85% to 15%, a huge difference.

Add to that 495 lectionary mss with the PA and you have a pretty definitive figure.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody can access the site. Google books is free. :)

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Deacon. Where did you find that? Every site I found that contained the work was photos of the pages. :)

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I said I could not access the site --I meant just that. You have to note that I am in China. China is not Google-friendly.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have something against are?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks as though TC's single line quote was not representative of Hort's thought at all. That "theoretical presumption is too minute to weigh against the smallest tangible evidence of other kinds."

"...a few documents are not, by reason of their mere paucity, appreciably less likely to be right than a multitude opposed to them."

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old technology, I got the book down from the shelf.

Rippon, Google Books is an a singular website site. Obviously he knows what is's, are. :smilewinkgrin:

Rob

#40 Deacon, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015