1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Price of Truth

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, May 18, 2007.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There wasn't much there but something sound came out of the currrent thread, titled Sound Words.

Brother Ed posted the yearly wages of skilled and unskill workmen at various times in history. [http://www.freebuck.com/articles/ell...kruptcies1.htm]

I've wondered about a old Bible I have.
    In 1732 John Basket printed a Bible that cost 12 shillings (the price was printed on the first printed page), which, according to the above data was about 2 weeks wages.
    A shilling had a value of 12d (denarius/denarii-“old pence”) and was equal to 1/20th of a pound.

What was the original cost of:
    A Gutenberg Bible –
    Wycliffe Bible -
    Tyndale’s New Testament -
    Coverdale’s Bible
    A Geneva Bible –
    An 1611 KJV –

And some more modern Bibles:
    RSV –
    NASB -
    NIV -

...and how long would an average worker have to labor to purchase the volume?

Rob

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Don't know the facts, but I would guess we gave gone from days worth of wages to buy a Bible to hours or even minutes.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Interesting question. There was not a lot of variation among editions of the same translation of an early English Bible but I don't know if a single price could be established for many modern versions since they come in a variety of bindings, and marketed with various packages of notes, maps, etc. and styles (compact, large print, etc.)

#3 franklinmonroe, May 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not to mention that (in English, at least) the Word is available for FREE online as well as in print from the Gideons as well as other sources.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyndale’s Bible (~1526) – 4 shillings, 7 or 8 groats (?), 3s 4d
    Rob

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yeah, but have you priced a BDAG, NA text, or Klein's Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the English Language?