1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The problem.....with a college education

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

A good education is very good.

What is often bad about education is that a person can be conditioned, they cannot think outside the box.

I read years ago that I believe it was Bell Labs (could be wrong on the company) spent years and millions of dollars trying to develop the laser. They had the brightest minds in the country. But they could not come up with a lens that would focus light properly.

Then a 12 year old boy developed a working laser at a school science fair. He simply used the glass from the bottom of a soda bottle. It worked, and the laser was born.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I beg to differ. You are obviously unaware of the various theories of inspiration or you would not deny the fact that God used Paul's education in writing the Scriptures, just as he used Peter's lack thereof.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Uneducated people are conditioned by their lack of education also.

Quite frankly I detest the attitude expressed by so many that a good education is not necessary in order to be a pastor or to teach the Scriptures. What foolishness!

4. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Here are God’s qualifications to be a pastor......
    1 Timothy 3:1-7
    V.1 ¶ This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    V.2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    V.3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    V.4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
    V.5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
    V.6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
    V.7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

--------------------------------------------------
    God’s Word does not “require” a man to get a college education!

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Nor does it require him to learn to read... think about that for a minute.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But keep in mind that the Disciples of Jesus did go thur 3 years of On-the-job training - and with the instructor - that would be equivalent to a college degree!!!

Is Bible college "required" NO, would it be highly recommended YES, it is a great asset to his ministry yes!, is it....

On an Indian reservation here in NY, an individual is not required to have a valid drivers license - would it be highly recommended YES!!! Would it be a great asset to his business - yes

(I know its an analogy - but its a great one)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Should Sunday school teachers go to seminary? Is it "necessary"?

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I agree with you. There has been much, much damage done and untruth perpetuated by good people who were simply uneducated and uninformed.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It would be great if they did- some of the best SS teachers I have ever had were seminary graduates or professors.

In my idea of an ideal situation, the pastor of a church should practice 'continuing education' and challenge those who teach in the church to do likewise. Nothing is worse than a 'stale' pastor or teacher, and believe me I've sat under my share.

10. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Bread gets stale, God’s Word doesn’t; and it NEVER CHANGES.
    Your post reminded me of a song we sing in Church.......

1. I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
    of Jesus and his glory, of Jesus and his love.
    I love to tell the story, because I know 'tis true;
    it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.
    Refrain:
    I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory,
    to tell the old, old story of Jesus and his love.

2. I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems
    than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
    I love to tell the story, it did so much for me;
    and that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.
    (Refrain)

3. I love to tell the story; 'tis pleasant to repeat
    what seems, each time I tell it,
    more wonderfully sweet. I love to tell the story,
    for some have never heard the message of salvation
    from God's own holy Word.
    (Refrain)

4. I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
    seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.

And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song,
    'twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.
    (Refrain)

--------------------------------------------------
    We as pastors, need to overcome the problem, with people wanting “something new”:
    This problem is theirs, not ours.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please stop misquoting me- I never said God's word gets stale. I said preachers do.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

OUB,

I too am a public educator at the Community College Level. I often share "god things" in my classes when there is some "tangential" intersection with the mathematics we are doing. Also, often invite my students to attend worship at my church. So far, knock on wood, I have had no complaints filed against me, however, I do try to share things in a "non-threatening" manner being careful to let the students know that it is "my personal convictions and positions" not those of the "institution".

13. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Being educated and being "snooty" are two different things all together. One can be highly educated and still possess a humble heart and spirit and willingness to share that knowledge and wisdom with others.

One can also be "not so well educated" and yet be wise.

14. quantumfaith

Unfortunately, due to the "almighty dollar" most college and university education in our country has "devolved" into a commodity designed to simply produce a piece of paper. I see it far to often in students who simply want me to show them 'how to do something" rather than to truly "think and understand".

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not against education, my pastor is highly educated and teaches college classes himself. I have utmost respect for him and ask him questions all the time. In fact, he is one of the few people I can ask the more complicated questions I often have.

But I firmly believe that God intends every believer to understand his word. It was not given to the elite only, in fact, Jesus's greatest criticisms were toward the religious scholars. Often the simple uneducated folks had a better understanding of the scriptures than they did. They recognized Jesus, most scholars did not.

In James God gives a promise to give wisdom to those that ask provided they believe. So this is what I rely upon. I believe even the ordinary believer can understand the scriptures quite well if they study and ask for God's help.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

He didn't say anything about God's Word changing or being stale. He's talking about preachers.