1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Problems With Public Welfare

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Monergist, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Here's 17 Reasons why state-sponsored (or rather we should say state-mandated by means of threat and coercion) welfare programs are bad.

Personal note: I would include all forms of wealth-redistribution gained through excessive taxation (government healthcare, food programs, housing programs, education programs, etc).

Link to Article: The Problems With Public Welfare

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

So would you be implying that TennCare is "bad" too?

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Yes I would. That's a big reason its failing.

4. FBCPastorsWife

Well, I am a recipient of TennCare. It is the only way I can afford my medicine every month that totals over $1,500. What would be your solution for someone like me?

5. Monergist

Monergist New Member

First of all, I want to say that I am sympathetic to your situation. I have a close family member who's had cancer for seven years and who is on TennCare. I am concerned for his situation and for many others.

We as Christians are commanded to look after the affairs of others, especially our brothers and sisters in the Lord. God gives the family the responsibility of looking after the welfare of its members (not the state). For the poor and needy, God commands the church to look after the needs of its members and the community in which it is placed (not the state).

The problem is (and I want to state this delicately out of respect for your situatuation)-- the problem is with TennCare and other such programs that we as Christians start to look to the State to care for us rather than God. That's a serious issue. We must bear our load of the blame-- as families have neglected the care of its own and churches have neglected its share of the burden.

There is a problem but TennCare is not the answer. We must not let the state become God. We must not allow overselves to covet our neighbors goods so that we may have the things we want (or even need). We must not steal from our neighbors by electing officials who promise to take from them (by means of taxation) and then redistribute to us what we desire. We must not have another god before God by depending upon the state and elected officials rather than God, to sustain us, supply our needs, and give us life.

But I would encourage you and others by pointing out that there are Christains organizations out there who assist in sharing medical expenses with others. This is a step in the right drection. And I would encourage you to trust God, as He is able to supply your every need.

May God Bless You

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The State would not need to tax in the first place if the churches were doing their jobs properly. But the trouble is, they're not - and they weren't - which is why State intervention is a necessary evil.

Yours in Christ

Matt

7. FBCPastorsWife

At least someone understands. I am only 25 years old. With the possible cessation of TennCare, I will lose access to my anti-rejection meds for my kidney transplant. I have relied on God for everything through prayer and that is the only reason I got the transplant. It is very easy for people who are insurable to say that everyone receiving government assistance is just mooching off the government. I'm sorry!!! I watched my father die when he was 37 years old because of the healthcare system. I don't want to die at an early age because I can't afford proper healthcare either!!!

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Read the Letter of James. Praying is not enough...Christians should put their money where their mouths are

Yours in Christ

Matt

10. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

People are not committed to giving to their churches as they should. That limits the aid that the church is able to give. Many times people only go inside a church when they cannot pay their light bill and need a hand out. I am not saying that all do that, but there are many that do. It is depressing to see that but some of the people bring it on themselves (not being able to pay utilities) because they use the money that they get for drugs and alcohol.

That makes is necessary for the government to help with needs such as FBC. People in her situation cannot physically afford to miss any medication. It could be a death sentence.

I wish I knew what the answer!!! :confused:

11. Monergist

Monergist New Member

:confused: Matt I agree that Christians are to help those in need. God has commanded it. And I do, to my ability.

I would be able to give much more if the state didn't take so much of my pay. Too much of what would help others is eaten up by a beauracratic beast. That's the whole point of my argument--The state has no business being involved in these matters. God has appointed that they be handled by the family and the church. And if you want to know why there's such a mess (example: TennCare) its because we've rejected God's way.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks. That wasn't a dig specifically at you, it was aimed at those who argue generally along those lines. I'm not convinced that many Christians would give more if welfare were abolished and taxes were reduced accordingly - they didn't give enough before welfare so why would they in the future were that to happen? Hence the 'necessary evil' point...

Yours in Christ

Matt

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Monergist quote:

"I would be able to give much more if the state didn't take so much of my pay. Too much of what would help others is eaten up by a beaucratic beast."

To that I say AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

14. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I agree! Most people would just use the money selfishly.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When we have pastors who cannot have their teeth fixed and pay for essential things for their children when many in the congregation tip instead of give, we have a serious problem. My former dentist was the son of a pastor in the SBC who later became the president of a state association and he told me that he had never been to a dentist until he was 18. Ever notice how those who often give the most have the least to give? Just ask your pastor who the top ten percent of givers are. You will be surprised as I was.

All too often the people in the congregation want a nice home to live in, benefits and a retirement package from where they work, but are just as happy to let the pastor survive on handouts.

Many many times I have heard from non-believers about what they think about how a pastors are treated by churches. When I got my acceptance to seminary a number of my relatives wrote me and wrote why I should not be a pastor. The number one reason was how they perceived pastors are treated and number two was pay. That is from non-believers!

When we are willing to give to ourselves first and tip the pastor and staff last something is wrong with the greed factor.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have some very well to do and some VERY poor in our church BUT on Nov. 7th (haven't seen the communicator for this week yet) our offering collected in the two Sunday morning services was $93,000.00. I don't know how that happened since we had about 800 total in church, but it did. The chairman of the deacons went up and whispered to the pastor who announced the amount at the end of service.

17. JesusandGeorge04

JesusandGeorge04 New Member

Chalcedon???

Erg...

18. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Yes, Chalcedon. ;)