1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Promise of the Permanent Indwelling Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Enow, Apr 8, 2011.

1. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

Those are excellent points you make, and I tend to agree with you. I, for sometime now, have been subjected to dispensationalism as the only way to properly interpret the bible. While they have some good points, they also seem to have some problems. Of course, dispensationalists would also claim there is only one way of salvation, which is by grace, through faith in Christ. I've never heard any different from any of them.

What is your response to the quote from Paul H Hamer, as recorded in "The Complete Biblical Library?" He is saying that 1 Cor 12:13 is not talking about water baptism.

The following is a comment from Dr Paul E Kretzmann, a Lutheran, I believe:

As you can see, he believes the baptism referred to is water baptism. I would appreciate comments on both of these.

Now that I went back and read the whole passage in context, it does seem obvious that it is referring to water baptism. Live and learn. Hey, the more I learn the more I realize I have so much more to learn.

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

He makes the same mistake as Catholics! Baptism does not literally remit sins or is instrumental in regeneration - it is not a sacrament but a symbolic ordinance that not merely symbolizes the truth of the gospel and thus publicly identifes you with the gospel as the object of your confession but it also identifies you with the doctrine and practice of Christ and New Testament congregations (Mt. 28:19-20).

However, in the immediate context Paul is talking about partaking of the unifying influence of the Spirit in the congregational body that is spelled out in verses 14-27. Each congregation has its own distinct character and make up just as every individual does and God builds them to meet the needs of those in that congregation. Hence, every member (including lost members - see 1 Cor. 11:18) are designed for the good of the congregation and individual members therein (1 Cor. 12:27). There is "one baptism" that is commissioned to the end of the world and it is not the baptism in the Spirit (Mt. 28:19-20).

3. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

Thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.