1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Psychology of Homo-Philia

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bismarck, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

From a discussion with a young woman I met recently, I learned why young people today are so tolerant of homosexuality -- ie, why they are "homo-philic" if you would allow. (That is, I feel confident that what I learned from her can be generalized to the whole Generation X, as it were.)

In short, young people today often explore the exciting realm of promiscuity. They do not want a stern black-clad Puritan telling them that their behavior is unhealthy, dangerous, near-sighted, and (coincidentally) contrary to the wisdom God has taught mankind through His God-Breathed Scriptures. They want to shield their sexual behaviors behind the "morality" of "what consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes is fine". And they feel that if the laws go so extremely far as to protect homosexuality, then they must protect their own behavior.

Therefore, young Americans are "homophilic" because they, in effect, wish to shield their own immorality behind the abomination of homosexuality.

I understand this is a sensitive subject for which I appologize in advance.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Mankind is always looking for ways to rationalize, excuse, or condone our wrong doing and your description of this instance seems plausible to me.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

While I can understand your thought process on this, I don't completly agree.

I believe that people have become more tolerant of homosexuality because it's the nature of the path this world in on. This world will get worse, alot worse before Christ comes, and I think this is just another thing that is making this world worse.

It's not the only thing, I think there are many things in life that don't 'stand up in a Christian life, and those things will continue to grow and get worse.

The problem I see with Christians, are we are trying to change everyone to turn from their wicked ways by finger pointing and 'screeming' at them insteading of teaching them to become better Christians or even converting them which would in turn 1) help bring more people to Christ (part of our responiablity and 2) help turn people from their wicked ways.

You can't beat the message of Christ into people, and scream at them and how wrong they are, you have to befriend these people and win them over with kindness and good living.

This is of course, my opinion. I firmly believe in friendship evangelism over in you face finger pointing. In fact I will be having a small group start in out church that I will be teaching about friendship evangelism.

Jamie

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So is this a case of sour grapes ("exciting realm"), or a case of worrying about the mote in the eye of another, rather than the beam in your own?

5. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

Are you a homophile?

6. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

I agree. I believe that those who truly follow God's teachings will "lead by example", rather than by name-calling and adopting a "holier than thou" attitude that is affrontery and puts people off. I think that most people respect those who live righteously but, as it were, quietly. It is said that no man believes anything unless he thinks it himself. So, if you live rightly, and you work hard, and are honest, and quietly move ahead in life, people will eventually see that for themselves.

I think it helps for evangelists to focus on, not just what the others should do, but what they themselves have done / do. "Lead by example".

As the Messiah himself says numerous times in the Gospels, "Follow me!" Surely, nobody could have been a better Christian than Christ! And so it follows that the Messiah is the "ultimate evangelist"... after all, the whole show began with his earthly ministry (!). And, in the Gospels, did the Messiah ever lord his righteousness over others with a "holier than thou" attitude? The way the Messiah evangelized is clearly the standard for evangelism.

7. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

We are called to evangelize, not politicize or educationalize. It is a difficult assignment when one views the questions asked of those in the public school system:

-- What do you think caused your heterosexuality?
    -- Is it possible you will grow out of the phase of heterosexuality?

-- If you've never had sex with someone of the same sex, how do you know it wouldn't be preferable?

-- You may find it less threatening and more successful to have sex with someone of the same sex than the opposite sex.

-- As you grow up you may think about rejecting the values of your parents.

It's pretty difficult to restrain oneself - ya sorta wanna break down the school house door 'un get yer kids ouda there.

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Okay, I am the first to point out the problems in our schools, but where in the world did you get these questions from? source please? Yes, some schools do promote "tolerance" for homosexuality or alternate lifestyles, but claiming homosexual sex is more successful and less threatening? A little far fetched, for the abstinance is best, but if you are having sex you must be safe and use protection health class curriculum I've seen.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Typical dodge attempt...answering a question with a question.

10. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Not to nit-pick, but define what age you were referring to? When you said "young" I assumed younger than Generation X. Personally, I have noticed about the same level of tolerance among generation X as I have among the Baby Boomers. The Bridgers (or Generation Y) are certainly more tolerant, from what I noticed.

Just curious.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

FP,

this quote that you were asking him about looks like part of a survey/questionairre that went around a public school in CA a couple years ago. Passed out by a teacher as part of the curriculum.....

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is nothing new, and this generation is not the first to be guilty of this.

Regards,
    BiR

13. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

I agree. It is a slippery slope, I would only add that the young people of today are worse than in generations past. I mean, 50 years ago, San Francisco wasn't the homosexual capital of the world. Today, it shames America as such. I would only add that things are, as it were, "quantitatively" worse, even if as you say they are not "qualitatively" worse. That is, it is a difference of degree, if not kind.

14. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

This is disgusting beyond words. I had no idea. Who are the people who produce these curriculum? I mean, what possible psychology, what possible logic, makes you say, "he he he, I'm going to 'faggotize' America, he he he, I'm so tricky" or whatever they say. Bizarre. I will stop before I get even more impolite.

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Bapmom, I believe I've read the survey questionaire you are referring to. The questionaire did focus on teenage sexual behaviors, but the questions did not say homosexual sex is "more successful or less threatening" than any other type of sex. They also dealt with tolerancy issues, which includes questions on if the student thinks their sexuality will change over time. Not that this question is appropriate or right, but really deals with the issue of sexual preferences being a choice. It was not "sexual specific", as in heterosexuality versus homosexuality or bisexual.

Now there are multiple surveys in multiple states dealing with similar issues. Our children are asked everything from their sexual preferences and family life to past sexual abuse and sexual history. Parents need to be aware of what their particular school districts policies are regarding participation in these surveys and their opt-out clauses. As a parent you also have a right to view the questionaire before allowing your child to participate. However, you do not have a right to view your child's responses to the questions, even surveys given to elementary kids. Many times students participate in these surveys on the condition of anonymity. Best advice for parents is to stay ahead of the game.

16. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

If you would like a complete report on what is happening in our schools -- not just one teacher in California -- you can request a copy from:

Alan E. Sears, President
    Alliance Defense
    15333 North Pima Road, Suite 165
    Scottsdale AZ 85260

You can also go online to request similar material from

The American Center for Law & Justice
    http://www.aclj.org/

Both organizations seek to counter the ACLU, the NEA, the National Man-Boy Association, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, and others who are insisting on homosexual education in public schools, beginning in Kindergarten.

You can also take some positive action on behalf of our kids.