1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bob Colgan, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

My church is getting ready to start the 4o days of purpose. The Purpose Driven Church. I have a bad feeling about this book from the little I have looked at it. Can anyone give me there thoughts about the book are what they have heard about it. :confused:
    Thanks Bob

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My thoughts are that we need another thread on PDL/PDC like we need a hole in the head.

If your church gets something out of it, great. If not, then chalk it up as a lesson learned.

3. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

I take it that this topic has come up before. (sounds like maybe alot) I didn't relize it, Im new to the board

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

PDL/PDC will work well if you don't put the church growth "method" ahead of the true "Message."

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PDL and 40-days is very basic "Christianity 101". It is a WONDERFUL foundation.

But pablum for most of us on the BB.

6. superdave

superdave New Member

I agree Dr. Bob. I am using the book with a brand new Christian as a discussion tool, along with another basic docrines book, and there is some great opportunites in the book to bring up questions and discussion. It can be a very useful tool, and can really help those who are not ready to dive deep yet.

Another interesting point I think. Many of those who denigrate this book as milk, probably don't fully grasp the truth in it, or practice some of the concepts in their life, even if they recognize how basic it is. I can tell you that Even if it is basic truths, many who should be well beyond it, are still sucking on the bottle.

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

PDL has been discussed here before????

(said with a sadistic, sarcastic smile)

8. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I am not a fan of Rick Warren at all. There are some things about him that I simply cannot stand. From that I say this, I believe that the purpose driven life 40 day devotional hits the nail right on the head. I believe that it is a very inspirational and God inspired set of lessons that will truly turn a Christian into a servant of the Lord if applied. And this from a man who hates bro Warren [​IMG]

9. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

er... to retract that, I mean hates bro. Warren's METHODS and TEACHINGS, not the person himself [​IMG] !!

10. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

Well I appreciate the feed back from all.
    Thanks Bob

11. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Bob,

You might check some of the previous threads. I am a consistent defender of Warren and PDC/PDL and this topic has just been discussed ad nauseum. That is why you are getting very little feedback. Search the archives and read away.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Our church did it a year or two ago with positive results.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think you should be commended for something. You say you don't like Warren's methods & teachings. Yet, you are able to discern between not liking something, and that something being evil. Contrast that to many ono this board that will attest to anything they don't like being evil (ei, I don't like rock music, hence, it's evil. I dont' like women in pants, hence, it's evil. I don't like lemonade, hence, it's evil). Praise God that you have such wise discernment, and that we may all have it. There's a difference between not liking someone/something and that thing/person being evil. I thank God that you know the difference.

14. Molly

Molly New Member

Check out www.biblebb.com and do a search on Rick Warren...there are some really great biblical critiques here that are worth reading.

We do not agree with his philosophy of church ministry.

Molly

15. superdave

superdave New Member

Molly,
    I as you do not totally agree with his philosophy of ministry. But I have to say, PDL, and the 40 days devotionals are right on, and they are definitely the milk of the Word, but growing up in America's Dairyland, even those of us who need a nice juicy steak enjoy some good whole milk on occasion. Plus, most Baptists I am around, even those who are long time christians don't fully embrace the truth found in the PDL, nor do they behave as if they embrace it.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of our church "ministry" is a sham. Rick pulls the plug on the routine of churchianity and nails down real Christianity and real ministry.

17. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Dr. Bob,

I disagree with your assessment of Rick Warren. He has many good points, and I don't question his motives or love for the Lord, but his methods are very questionable.

I wrote a brief paper on a video that he produced that exposes his multiple errors of Bible interpretation and willingness to embrace non-Baptistic concepts. You can read my article, and many others from very reputable authors, at this site:

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/seeker.html

God bless,
    Brian Jonson

18. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

bjonson,
    That was a very good link heavy duty stuff. The more I read on the book P.D.L. and Rick Warren himself the more disturbed I am of it all.

19. superdave

superdave New Member

This thread was specifically about PDL, not Rick Warren in general.

What specifically in PDL is a problem for you? We have had a million threads with people saying "I just have a strange feeling about that guy, or that book" but no facts, no indication that many have even read the book.

20. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

Go to the sight that bjonson provided. There is alot of facts. But I guess its up to each individual to decide.